Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track - announced at NAMM  (Read 120046 times)

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track! - announced at NAMM
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
Thats a very nice spec. I've been thinking about taking the plunge to an R-44 for a while now, if these are close to the price posted, I think I may have to take the plunge with this one.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »
Just got a call back from Full Compass. This unit ships sometime in Feb. and they will be selling it at $945.00.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
Even though I rarely see myself using one as more than just a 4 channel unit, I like that it takes 8xAA rather than the 4xAA in the R44.  Presumably, that should mean acceptable battery life for one pair of mics + board without needing an external supply.

Why no one makes a 4+ channel unit with an internal RC battery like the FR2LE is beyond me.

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
Just got a call back from Full Compass. This unit ships sometime in Feb. and they will be selling it at $945.00.

I may have to give it a go. I also don't see me using 8 channels much but hell, can't hurt to have em :)

Gives me a good excuse to buy more mics too  :-X

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
Why no one makes a 4+ channel unit with an internal RC battery like the FR2LE is beyond me.

I expect it's for the same reason the FR2LE is one of the few, if not only 2 channel recorders using that internal powering setup. AAs are the most easily sourceable batteries in the world, so it makes sense that both audio recorders, as well as many of the P&S digital cameras, are made to run on them.

This new Tascam unit looks sweet!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

I expect it's for the same reason the FR2LE is one of the few, if not only 2 channel recorders using that internal powering setup. AAs are the most easily sourceable batteries in the world, so it makes sense that both audio recorders, as well as many of the P&S digital cameras, are made to run on them.

The thing is, the FR2LE ships with a sled that lets you use 4xAAs in a pinch, so it's not as if you're locked out of AAs...but of course their capacity is no where near an RC pack (the equivalent of 6xCs).

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
I'd be hard-pressed to justify or understand spending $5-6k on an 8-track recorder instead of just buying a MacBook pro and a multi-track interface for much less...you can have 16-32 tracks and you get a laptop to use for other stuff, as well as your post processing etc.  I think the SD 7xx are great recorders but once they jumped from the 744 to the 788 (and the corresponding price jump as well), they lost me on the point of spending $6k compared to what you could get for the same $$ in the multi-track realm.

I generally agree with this. If you're doing micing of each instrument in the field for a band release or something of that nature where you'll do mixing of the peices in post, the most cost effective option is an interface and a laptop. There are "better" solutions from a reliability standpoint, but the best bang for buck ratio is a lappy and an 8+ ch interface.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
At this price, you can get 8 track recording on a rugid looking unit for just a bit more than you would spend getting two 96/24 handhelds (like my trust R-09hr), and pulling just four four tracks.

I'm going to follow this toy, because it's price is certainly right, but I'll let ya'll pull the trigger first and report back!  ;D
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16:14 PM »
I'm going to follow this toy, because it's price is certainly right, but I'll let ya'll pull the trigger first and report back!  ;D

:lol:

For a grand, I wonder what's wrong with it. (and yes I understand "wrong" is a value judgement)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »
Bet you're gonna see a bunch of R-44 pop up for sale now.  I know I'm thinking about selling mine. 

The "wrong" thing I see is there is no way to sync it with any other decks just like the R-44.  BUT, you do get more tracks on one deck.  I guess that the ability to sync up word clocks is a big factor in price. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:26:51 PM by kirkd »

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
Tascam seems to generally make good, reliable products. This definately looks like a great value for the money.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »

Right.  My point was it only has 50% more preamps than the R44, not twice as many.

Yes but it has 8 inputs overall - I'm assuming the 8 channels are: 4x XLR, 2x 1/4"TRS, and the spidf input?  There's a lot of options with this - sbd feed, 4-6 mics, digital in from an external AD.  That's a world of difference to me over a 4 channel recorder.  I can't see spending $4-$6k on a recorder with 8 inputs but assuming the quality and functionality of this thing pans out, I can see spending $1K and think on the surface it sound like a pretty good deal.  It's amazing how fast the world of portable recorders is evolving.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
Tascam seems to generally make good, reliable products. This definately looks like a great value for the money.

I've had a DAP1, and three DA-20's that disagree.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
I can't speak to the DA-20's but my DA-P1 has never given me any issues what so ever.  Still running flawlessly after all these years.   
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
Note that it operates on the basis of having channel selector buttons, and a single value-select knob, rather than the R-44's individual knobs-per-channel.  In fact off the top of my head this is the first unit to take that approach.  That of course makes for a more compact design and may well be cheaper to make, but in use, do people think they'll have a problem with that approach?  Eg you see channels 2 and 4 overloading, but you can't just grab their faders and adjust at the same time - first select 2, adjust, then select 4 and adjust. 

Also the knob appears to be push-to-select (more or less required by this kind of design).  I wonder therefore whether having selected the level you want, and then you push to select it, whether the transition is smooth or sudden?  I guess it presupposes you'll be working at conservative levels and 24 bits and not worrying too much about getting things dead right and gain-riding during the show.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com