Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 102833 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
What is a better recorder overal the Zoom h4n or the Sony pcm m10?

:banging head:

I was told to post all my new m10 questions here even though the answers will be biased.

:tool:

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
zoom = trash IMO
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #362 on: June 04, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
For small recorders in that price range the m10 is the closest thing to the holy grail. I would have killed for one 30 years ago or even
10 years ago.

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Real time clock problem - possible explanation
« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
Hi all,

maybe I can offer an explanation why some people have the RTC problem and others have not. After leaving my M10 on the shelf for about two months without switching it on (batteries were still fully charged!), I had to set the clock.
So I wondered what is going on. I pulled out the schematic of the M10s big brother, the D50.
The power supply section is rather complicated with lots of MOSFET switches and regulators, even one for the RTC battery. Checking the component values, I guesstimate that it takes about 30 to 40 hours to recharge an empty RTC battery - the state of the battery is in when you are asked to set time and date. If fully charged, you can expect 2000-3000 hours of RTC operation.
It seems to me that the D50 (and probably the M10) switch off completely when battery powered - not even the RTC battery is recharged!

So it depends on your use profile whether you have the dreaded "set date and time" problem or not. Regular use (best every day) keeps the RTC battery charged. in the future, I will let it go into sleep mode, and not switch it off. Another solution is to plug in the power supply before storage and let the M10 run for two days to top off the RTC battery, this should be sufficient for two months.

BTW if someone could send me a schematic of the M10, I could replace my educated guess with fact.

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: Real time clock problem - possible explanation
« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »

The power supply section is rather complicated with lots of MOSFET switches and regulators, even one for the RTC battery. Checking the component values, I guesstimate that it takes about 30 to 40 hours to recharge an empty RTC battery - the state of the battery is in when you are asked to set time and date. If fully charged, you can expect 2000-3000 hours of RTC operation.
It seems to me that the D50 (and probably the M10) switch off completely when battery powered - not even the RTC battery is recharged!

So it depends on your use profile whether you have the dreaded "set date and time" problem or not. Regular use (best every day) keeps the RTC battery charged. in the future, I will let it go into sleep mode, and not switch it off. Another solution is to plug in the power supply before storage and let the M10 run for two days to top off the RTC battery, this should be sufficient for two months.

+t!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: Real time clock problem - possible explanation
« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »

There was speculation that it was something like that early on.  Unfortunately, it is my recollection that frequent users, who only briefly had the batteries out, also experienced the problem.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com