Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 102624 times)

Offline jeffee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »
d-50 =  ;D 

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 10:50:55 AM »
the D50 keeps calling!

The D50 also has both digital in and out, if you think you might need that [i.e., for an external preamp with dig out].

The D1 only has dig out, and the M10 has neither.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »
Dogmusic raises very good points. Given that I have both the PCM-D50 and the PCM-M10, I can truly say that the differences are barely audible. The D50 does run two ADC's in which one runs 20dB lower than the other so that when the limiter is in use, it will perform an intelligent crossfade in the event the input is exceeded. Very clever stuff. It is indeed built sturdier so if you're accident prone or use it in potentially harsh areas, the PCM-D50 will definitely hold up to a little more abuse. The mics of both units are fantastic for internals though the PCM-D50 are just that little bit better. More importantly, you can adjust your X-Y angles with them as well whereas they're in a fixed position on the PCM-M10.

On the other hand, as was stated before, you'll get a much longer run time off your batteries in the PCM-M10 and on half the quantity. That is a major bonus when you're out in the field. Other than that, I haven't bothered to look but back in 2008, there was nothing bigger than my 8GB Sandisk MS ProHG Duo card for my PCM-D50 which bought me plenty of recording time at 48kHz/24bit. If you need more recording time than that or want to record long sessions at the highest resolutions (96/24), then you may want to consider the PCM-M10 for the fact that you can use a microSD card and it can also cross-record from the external storage to the internal 4GB storage or vice versa. Could save your butt depending on your application.

Those would be the features I would be basing my decision on. Everything else is much of a muchness. If anything, I use my PCM-M10 more so because of the reasons above and its size but the PCM-D50 will always be well looked after as my backup unit.

Offline wmacky1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
Well I made a move! I took advantage of the $199 sale, and free shipping, but upgraded to 2 day Air for a meager $6 extra !

In the end I decided it was important to learn more before making a "expensive"  decision. With the the M10. I'm not risking much as I can still upgrade to something better later on, and use this as a " njce portable" backup. Seems like it would make a killer "IPOD" too. In the mean time, it appears I now have a great unit to dig in and learn a little more with.

I can't wait! Now I can read about other stuff like Mic's, and Preamps!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:21:35 AM by wmacky1 »

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 01:25:40 PM »

with my 680 in the shop now for over a month
I'm starting to get acclimated to my M10 as a SBD source
and even with my Littlebox when ONLY running a single pair of mics
when I get the 680 back, it may be hitting the YS and I'm getting another M10  >:D

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
the M-10 is now back up to $229 at B&H  :(
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »

when I get the 680 back, it may be hitting the YS and I'm getting another M10  >:D

Whats the deal with the Doc, got a flu? probably been congregating too much with other dr 680s.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
the M-10 is now back up to $229 at B&H  :(

I think that is still a little less than what I paid.  ::)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
$213 on Amazon!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline wmacky1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »
Well I did find one little issue. Dam that screen scratches easy!  :(  I only handled it a little this weekend, but wiped the screen clean every time it got a little smudged. Well I happen to put on some reading glasses to see the screen a little better, and that's when I saw the 150 light little scratches I have managed to add to it. I was using a clean micro fiber too! Is the D50 lcd screen plastic too or glass? If plastic, I would never pay that much for it. At least the M10 was cheap. They're very light scratches, but this kinda bums me out.

BTW I know it's about the sound, but still.....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:28:06 PM by wmacky1 »

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »

Whats the deal with the Doc, got a flu? probably been congregating too much with other dr 680s.

still no word on it... most likely hitting the YS when I get it back

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 12:27:20 AM »

but I mean WHAT HAPPENED? Did it quit turning on? did it stop recording? pre-amps failed to work, etc.

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 12:43:37 AM »

but I mean WHAT HAPPENED? Did it quit turning on? did it stop recording? pre-amps failed to work, etc.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137231.msg1803734#msg1803734

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 12:47:37 AM »
whoa, the doctor needs a heart transplant!

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
Well I did find one little issue. Dam that screen scratches easy!  :(  I only handled it a little this weekend, but wiped the screen clean every time it got a little smudged. Well I happen to put on some reading glasses to see the screen a little better, and that's when I saw the 150 light little scratches I have managed to add to it. I was using a clean micro fiber too! Is the D50 lcd screen plastic too or glass? If plastic, I would never pay that much for it. At least the M10 was cheap. They're very light scratches, but this kinda bums me out.

BTW I know it's about the sound, but still.....

The minute I took mine out of the box. I took a left-over screen protector from my droidx purchase from verizon (They give you two extras when you buy a three pack). Cut it to the exact size of  the screen and laid it on there. hopefully, it will keep it minty fresh. Although mine also has the clock issue. Turn it off and on its asking to set the clock.. bummer

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com