Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102512 times)

Offline dgpretzel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #360 on: August 01, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
Once again, the voice of real experience shows its value.

Thank you.

D "the grasshopper" G

:)

Offline dgpretzel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #361 on: August 01, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
Following up...

Are there any particular kinds of these custom adapter cables that are generally preferred over others?  Or maybe they're all similar??

I have the impression that some members here may fabricate and sell these things.

"Search" is my friend, so I will now do so.

DG

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #362 on: August 01, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
I keep two Radioshack 1/4" TRS right angle adapters plugged into the 1/4" only ch5/6 inputs.  They fit and 'turn the corner', allowing insertion of straight TRS cables from the front of the machine while in the bag- actually they exit at an angle due to the carrying strap attachment lug, but can be angled either up or down, which ever orientation works better. 

Those would work in the combo XLR/TRS jacks as well, but I mostly use right angle XLRs into channels 1-4 for a few reasons: I prefer them, one less connection point that could develop problems in comparison to using the Ratshack RAs, XLRs lock, the the Neutrick ones can be re-oriented to the angle desired if necessary by opening the case with a small screw driver without re-wiring, and most of my mic cables terminate in XLRs anyway.  I do have a pair of mic cables which I've modified to have 1/4" TRS male plugs on the recorder end which I only use into the RA adapters in 5/6.   
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #363 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
This one?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102593

It does set away from the body. Thanks for the tip.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #364 on: August 01, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »
Yep that's the one.

When plugged in you can orient them straight up/down or at about a 45 degree angle or so up/down to the front with the snug case on.  They work well for me.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »
I have the impression that some members here may fabricate and sell these things.

Yes, there are a few that will make just about any kind of cable you can envision.  tgakidis is one:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0.  darktrain is another:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=17532.  Several others either do, or have, made custom cables.  I am not sure which of them are still active.  One place to look:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96346.0.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
Page 4 of the tgakidis thread linked above will show you photos of what I had Ted make up for my 680. All right angle stubbie breakout cables. They work great, never have to pull my 680 out of my gear bag to plug things in.

Offline taperjeff

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA recordings:
« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »
I had some issues  running the other night.  I used a dynex external 9v Dvd battery 4300 mAh  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VT17T8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I ran the first two channels with phantom power, channel 3/4 sbd feed, and channel 5/6 digital in from an R44.  The settings were 44.1 KHz wav/ 24 bit.  When I ran the unit it  switched to BWF.  After 55 minutes, the analog feeds stopped working (channels 1, 2, 3, 4), but the digital feed continued to work into the second set.  I tried using channel 1 and 2 with a line feed from a sd mixpre, but I never got a signal.  I just plugged in the unit AC and channels 1, 2, 3, 4 did power the microphones.

1)has anyone experienced this before?  Is this a power issue or overheating?
2)  why did the unit switch to BWF?  does this happen when you try to record analog and digital?
3) when using the dvd battery, should I have the unit set to AC?  When I use the battery I see the AC light indicated on the unit, but I can never tell if the unit is running low on power.  Should I switch to the akaline setting so I get to indicator light? 

Thanks...

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #368 on: August 06, 2012, 01:04:25 AM »
I had some issues  running the other night.  I used a dynex external 9v Dvd battery 4300 mAh  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VT17T8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I ran the first two channels with phantom power, channel 3/4 sbd feed, and channel 5/6 digital in from an R44.  The settings were 44.1 KHz wav/ 24 bit.  When I ran the unit it  switched to BWF.  After 55 minutes, the analog feeds stopped working (channels 1, 2, 3, 4), but the digital feed continued to work into the second set.  I tried using channel 1 and 2 with a line feed from a sd mixpre, but I never got a signal.  I just plugged in the unit AC and channels 1, 2, 3, 4 did power the microphones.

1)has anyone experienced this before?  Is this a power issue or overheating?

Unlikely, but what was the ambient temperate, ventilation, etc. Was the unit hot to the touch?

2)  why did the unit switch to BWF?  does this happen when you try to record analog and digital?

No.

3) when using the dvd battery, should I have the unit set to AC?  When I use the battery I see the AC light indicated on the unit, but I can never tell if the unit is running low on power.  Should I switch to the akaline setting so I get to indicator light? 

The function of the "Battery" setting (with options of Alkaline or Ni-MH) is metering of the internal AA's only. Power monitoring is not available for external batteries.

kirk97132

« Reply #369 on: August 09, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com