Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track  (Read 23693 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »
Only 3 AA cell internal battery.  Tascam claims 15 hours battery life, but not while providing 48V phantom power to mics.
Also announced, the BP-6AA, an external battery that holds (you guessed it) six AAs. 

My guess is that P48 draw will zapp the internals in less than 120 minutes.
The selling point of an all-in-one with phantom XLR would be the freedom from carrying extra boxes. If I'd need to buy/carry external power, there's nothing unique about it.
How about an all-in-one with a 2x9V battery bay, or a custom high-voltage li-ion battery (like the tinybox)?  8)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
How about an all-in-one with..  a custom high-voltage li-ion battery (like the tinybox)?  8)

The Microtracker and Korg do.

With all the gear that runs various multiples of 2 AAs, some one should manufacture a 3V(nomional) LI-ion that is packaged into an envelope the size of two AAs connected side by side, along one edge.  It's housing would look slightly figure-8ish viewed end on, so that it would slip into standard AA battery holders which often have short partial wall dividers between cells but rarely have completely seperated cell compartments. In addition to the standard LI-ion voltage regulation circuitry, it would need some sort of internal switching to automatically sense the short at one end of the pack and switch to using the terminals on the other end when inserted into the device.   Besides getting enough power density, that 'short sense circuit' is the only challenging part, but it's a feature that would make it safe, short-proof and user friendly.  Use two for devices that take 4AAs, 3 for 6AAs, etc.  Pop them out and recharge.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
also no 88.2 kHz recording. This seems silly to me.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
Man tapers are a hard bunch to please.  :P

The microtrack comes out and everyone complains that it doesn't use AA batteries that are universal and field replaceable.  Now people see them in this Tascam and want an internal Li-ion solution.  Lots and lots of handhelds use only 1/8" inputs and people complain that they want a locking XLR input.  This one comes out, and nobody is interested.  People complain about poor battery life or low max input (this one has 15 hour battery life and takes 20dbV) and again, no love.

This probably isn't a recorder I'm interested in, but I would think it might fit the bill as a 2ch recorder, at least for some.  It takes a hot signal, has XLR inputs, and good battery life.  Most people don't seem quite satisfied with a handheld as an all-in-one solution, but if you want it for that, it'll do it.

As to battery life as an all-in-one, they say 15 hour battery life, presumably that is without phantom, so say it draws about 200mA. It uses 3x AA batteries, so considering that and a reasonably efficient DC-DC converter to get up to 48v, phantom power for a couple of condenser mics might add another 150ma or so -- all told, this should provide 6-8 hours of use even with phantom on.

For what we do, I think the DR2d is better as a 4ch recorder, but for a 2ch recorder, this seems like a good option, especially for the people who feel they are more comfortable with a recorder that offers locking XLR inputs.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
Man tapers are a hard bunch to please.  :P
And Dead Head tapers are even harder to please ;D

Online spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
If it gets better battery life than the 100, then I think it will do ok.  The 100 is the only loser they've had in the last 5 years.  The 40 is almost a re-do, but with 4 channels. 

That said, Tascam should have added spdif to the 40.  The technology is not foreign to them, for the 2 channel P2 has been out since '05.  Makes no sense to me.  More I think about it, I bet the Ipad will get spdif before Tascam's handhelds.  Tascam's new product strategy is that pathetic.    ::)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:25:37 PM by spyder9 »

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
all told, this should provide 6-8 hours of use even with phantom on.

I agree, but probably below 6 hours depending on mics and battery type. I have tested my Marantz PMD-661 (4 AAs) with both Energizer "Advanced" and "Ultimate" Lithium batteries and got just over 7 & 8 hours respectively @ 24/48 while running phantom with my DPA 4022 mics. I would be curious what the stock pres sound like for $200...

-james

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
as parts become better and cheaper every year, eventually someone will make one of these things that is on the quality line of the Sony D1...but for $199.

If the preamps on this were nothing special, but clean...i'd be content.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
How loudly does this community have to yell before these guys will hear us...

DIGITAL SPDIF INPUTS on a reliable low cost handheld pu-LEEZE!!!

Hallelujah to that!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
Only 3 AA cell internal battery.  Tascam claims 15 hours battery life, but not while providing 48V phantom power to mics.
Also announced, the BP-6AA, an external battery that holds (you guessed it) six AAs. 

My guess is that P48 draw will zapp the internals in less than 120 minutes.
The selling point of an all-in-one with phantom XLR would be the freedom from carrying extra boxes. If I'd need to buy/carry external power, there's nothing unique about it.
How about an all-in-one with a 2x9V battery bay, or a custom high-voltage li-ion battery (like the tinybox)?  8)

When I got my DR-40 I did a test with the internal AA batteries.  Continuous run time recording with the P48 turned on was 3 hours 15 minutes. Honestly I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Was expecting about 2 hours.

Offline easyed

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • get your Jam in the Can
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
Unfortunately, only one mic/line-in, i.e., have to use built-in mics for second pair of tracks.

But only $199.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N3ME4O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=pixacomcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005N3ME4O

The Sony PCM-M10 can be had for $229 from an authorized dealer if you shop.  I love mine.

Built in mics (on the Tascam or virtually any other of these hand held recorders) are not good for audience recording, but only for recording practice in your living room, or spoken word, or discussions around a conference table.

Built in mics?  It's like ordering a $100 dish at a fancy restaurant and thinking you've gotten a deal because it comes with a free side dish of dog turd.
Beyerdynamic CK-930s > Naiant Tinybox or Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10 or
DPA 4061's > Core Sound Battery Box > Sony PCM-M10 or
matrix: Sound Devices 744T or
multitracking: Audient ASP008 preamps > JoeCo Blackbox BBR1B

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
Got a soundpro email today that says you can get this for $149.99 with instant $50 gift card. It says today only.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-40

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
OK, I've bought one as a secondary recorder. No way it will replace my beloved R-44 but I wanted XLR with P48 and 1/4 TRS inputs for various setups I have at times. We'll see how it works out but at $170 shipped, I can't argue too much unless it is total crap. The dual level recording is interesting depending on how decent the internal mics are.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 05:30:35 AM »
When I got my DR-40 I did a test with the internal AA batteries.  Continuous run time recording with the P48 turned on was 3 hours 15 minutes. Honestly I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Was expecting about 2 hours.

What mics were you using when you did that test?

OK, I've bought one as a secondary recorder. No way it will replace my beloved R-44 but I wanted XLR with P48 and 1/4 TRS inputs for various setups I have at times. We'll see how it works out but at $170 shipped, I can't argue too much unless it is total crap. The dual level recording is interesting depending on how decent the internal mics are.

Any thoughts on the sound?  Build quality? 

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Any thoughts on the sound?  Build quality?

It hasn't been delivered yet. Its somewhere between San Diego and Tallahassee. I expect it to show up sometime next week. The one I saw in the field seemed to be built well. I'll probably get the battery sled and remote later on.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com