Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track  (Read 23691 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
^^^ I didn't realize it wasn't in your possession as of yet.  I'm curious to hear your thoughts, though, once you get your hands on it and have a chance to take a test drive...

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
When I got my DR-40 I did a test with the internal AA batteries.  Continuous run time recording with the P48 turned on was 3 hours 15 minutes. Honestly I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Was expecting about 2 hours.

What mics were you using when you did that test?

My initial test was with AT853 powered with P48 driving the 8531 power module.  Since then I've had the opportunity to run Busman BSC-2s for 2:40 with plenty of batteries left.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
impressive.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
Well, I'm amazed that the recorder showed up yesterday, I wasn't expecting it until next week. I haven't had time to absorb the manual yet but a few things right off. Its plastic of course but seems well built, the XLRs are Neutrik for example. The only weak spot I see is the mics but the pivot is solid feeling. I took it to the club with me last night and I accidentally did a stress test right off as it vibrated off where I had is stashed and fell about three feet to concrete. I can't even find a scuff mark. I guess another stress test was the shipping because the package was torn up when I got it.

Most of the normal settings are intuitive enough but I did have to dig into the manual to set up the dual record function. I ran just the internal mics in X-Y back in the audience area. I haven't woken up enough to deal with it yet but a quick listen with headphones last night didn't sound all that bad but not great. How much of that had to do with the mics and how much had to do with placement I can't say yet. I'll try to get a friend's recording from a nearby location as a comparison, he was running CA-14 cards>CA-9100>R-09. My other recording was matrix of my ADK-tl's at stage lip and a full matrix of each individual channel of the main console mixed down to stereo on the fly on my own board.

This may have shown up at the perfect time as one of the channels of my R-44 started acting up last night. It may have to go in for repairs as I need it ready for festival season. I can't complain, it has logged hundreds of shows now in all sorts of conditions.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Here's a song from last night recorded on the DR-40, Internal mics, X-Y, placed on a shelf behind the bar approx. centered with the stage, recorded at 48kHz/24 bit, dithered down to 44.1/16 but no other changes: http://yodaslai.ipower.com/bradfordvilleblues/media/TASCAM_0002S12.wav

Sorry, at 12 minutes its kind of big but I'm posting it for someone else for other reasons (friggin' hot guitar!). The mix was a bit tinny to start with but hopefully this will give you some idea about the mics.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Does anyone know if the DR-40 has different preamps than the DR-100mkII? I figure it would because of the price difference. I guess I am trying to figure out how these two products differ (besides the "4 track" capabilities on the DR-40) when they were released pretty much at the same time

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago someone hacked a Zoom H2 by disconnecting the internal mics and adding external connections so it became a real 4 channel recorder?  I'd like to see that happen here.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago someone hacked a Zoom H2 by disconnecting the internal mics and adding external connections so it became a real 4 channel recorder?  I'd like to see that happen here.

I would love to see that hack for the dr-40.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
There's a YouTube video of the H2 hack. Chris Church looked into modding the H2 for four external mics and decided it wasn't worth it. The plan Chris was going to use sounded much more elegant than the gross hack you see on YouTube.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
I would pick the DR2D over this just for the mere fact you can actually do 4 channels on the DR2D. Not to mention its almost $100 cheaper than this sucka :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
I would pick the DR2D over this just for the mere fact you can actually do 4 channels on the DR2D. Not to mention its almost $100 cheaper than this sucka :)

It all depends on what you are looking for. The DR2D is cool and I may end up with sooner or later but the DR-40 gave me XLR connections and phantom power plus 1/4 TRS for my regular board connection.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »

It all depends on what you are looking for. The DR2D is cool and I may end up with sooner or later but the DR-40 gave me XLR connections and phantom power plus 1/4 TRS for my regular board connection.

Yup.  Balanced and rugged XLR connection, 1/4 TRS and phantom were all reasons I picked the '40. I picked up mine for 150, so the price difference wasn't a factor. Plus, I really don't trust mini-jacks.

Offline mhlsr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
Just got mine yesterday, did battery test today. AT897's into deck, no phantom power got 8 hours strait with Maxell alkaline's that came with deck.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »
I've run mine the last three nights using a cheap cell phone charger for an AC power supply. It worked fine and didn't cost me the $40 or whatever Tascam wants for theirs. Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power. I know they make them but haven't shopped for one yet.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
I've run mine the last three nights using a cheap cell phone charger for an AC power supply. It worked fine and didn't cost me the $40 or whatever Tascam wants for theirs. Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power. I know they make them but haven't shopped for one yet.

Walter, just get one of these.  I used it for the Tascam DR-1 to charge it's battery on the fly.  Perfect for Wanee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Battery-USB-Emergency-Backup-Power-and-Charger-Pack-/330673357722?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cfdab039a#ht_5607wt_1396

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com