Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100 MKII (as Bit Bucket) and Mytek Stereo192 ADC - Incompatable?  (Read 24106 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Ok, I can sort-of use the DR100mkii as a Bit Bucket....

The SD702 will lock to the Forssell's AES (96K) signal AND also
output Consumer level SPDIF 96.096k signal to which the DR100mkii will lock with.

So I can use the DR100mkii as a backup, but unfortunately I cannot get rid of the SD702
since it is the only recorder I have that locks to the Forrsell. I bought the DR100mkii thinking
I might not need the SD702, but I am now discovering how great a machine this recorder is.

Theres something screwy going on there... I thought the 7 series boxes didn't resample if they locked onto an incoming signal. I can see them changing from AES to a consumer level voltage on the digital out, but pushing out a different sample rate doesn't seem right.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sunflute

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
Theres something screwy going on there... I thought the 7 series boxes didn't resample if they locked onto an incoming signal. I can see them changing from AES to a consumer level voltage on the digital out, but pushing out a different sample rate doesn't seem right.

Well, I set the sample rate on SD702 to 96.096, but it is still locking to the Forssell's signal. Maybe there's resampling of the input signal, which actually is no good because I don't want to change the signal being sent from the Forrsell. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Peace, Marco
Sunflute

Offline page

• #TeamRetired

Well, I set the sample rate on SD702 to 96.096, but it is still locking to the Forssell's signal. Maybe there's resampling of the input signal, which actually is no good because I don't want to change the signal being sent from the Forrsell. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Peace, Marco

a simple email to sound devices will explain whether it resamples or not (or a post on their forum).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline sunflute

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
I heard from Sound Devices and the sample rate that will be output is the AES signal the unit locks to, so this means the DR-100mkii is one weird, finicky unit when it comes to the Digital input. It locks to the SD702 by itself at 96.096 but when chained with Forrsell it locks to 96k, but will not lock to the Forssell's SPDIF directly. Anyways, I might just run a firewire disk off the SD702 as backup instead.

a simple email to sound devices will explain whether it resamples or not (or a post on their forum).
Sunflute

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
I heard from Sound Devices and the sample rate that will be output is the AES signal the unit locks to, so this means the DR-100mkii is one weird, finicky unit when it comes to the Digital input. It locks to the SD702 by itself at 96.096 but when chained with Forrsell it locks to 96k, but will not lock to the Forssell's SPDIF directly. Anyways, I might just run a firewire disk off the SD702 as backup instead.

I suspect due to header information that is being sent and other aes/spdif format differences.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Has anyone tried the Tascam Dr-100mkii with the SPDIF out from a V3 or a Benchmark AD2k? That is to say, does it lock with no problems?

anybody got the answer to this?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Has anyone tried the Tascam Dr-100mkii with the SPDIF out from a V3 or a Benchmark AD2k? That is to say, does it lock with no problems?

anybody got the answer to this?

Anyone used a Tascan dr100mkii with a mini-me?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
I don't think the dr100 will work with the minime - pretty sure I read this somewhere on tonedeaf's dr100 thread
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
I don't think the dr100 will work with the minime - pretty sure I read this somewhere on tonedeaf's dr100 thread

"As far as testing...I have a mini-me that I am using to test the digital input on the unit.  The mini-me has both AES/EBU and SPDIF outputs, so I first hooked up my mini-me through the digital SPDIF output.  The DR-100mkII locked in quickly at both 16bit and 24bit and at both 44.1 and 48khz sampling frequencies. "

No word on 24/96 though...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)

The DR100MKii locks on the SPDIF signal, but not all of the AES/EBU modes.  If I remember correction, for AES/EBU for some reason it locks on 16/44.1, but not 16/48, 24/44.1 or 24/48.  I'm not sure about 24/96, but pretty sure it should be fine from SPDIF.

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
Back a couple of pages, Todd R got it right.    We interpret the spec as strictly as we can, because it's a liability not to.
If we let a signal with a badly formatted header come into the A/D, it could turn out to have been a Dolby AC3 signal, which would render as full scale noise.  In a product where the user could be wearing headphones with the volume cranked up, we can't take the risk.
Even 48kHz /44.1kHz would produce sample slips which render as nasty clicks.  We don't want the audio to contain clicks that you might miss at first - that gives both of us a bad rep.
With professional gear such as the HD-P2, we can relax the limits a little because we expect pro users to always test first.

If mytek or someone can lend us one of their ADCs, we can investigate relaxing at most the "AES header, but unbalanced signal" restriction.

Tom (TASCAM).

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)

The DR100MKii locks on the SPDIF signal, but not all of the AES/EBU modes.  If I remember correction, for AES/EBU for some reason it locks on 16/44.1, but not 16/48, 24/44.1 or 24/48.  I'm not sure about 24/96, but pretty sure it should be fine from SPDIF.

I must have got this confused with AES tests - (not wanting to use the minime's SPDIF out as the jack is kinda white trash - I had a minime about 10-11 years ago so I know)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com