Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 660  (Read 94233 times)

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
Re: Marantz PMD 660
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »
I'm thinking a 2, a 4 and maybe one of these things....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1203

Anyone used one with success??  I've read that they won't do more than 4-6 gig on one charge but If I had an inverter It should be OK. My only concern is the larger file size.

I have a 1 GB card and a 4 GB card. I did my first festival shows at HSMF and I used http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1335818&CatId=1203 and it works great but doesn't download fast enough (1 GB in ~13 minutes) from band to band (actually just fast enough with like five minutes to spare) so have to be ready as soon as the act is done and erase asap for the next act and yes I was only able to do ~5 GB before recharging. Luckily they had power at locations at High Sierra. Coffee in the morning and a recharge/download while showering.

In the future I will go with this one, which downloads 1 GB in 2 minutes and uses standard AA battieres. They say ~50 GB download with one battiery charge. I will use my 20GB Inoi for taking files to work or to a friends house on road trips as you can move from your pc harddrive to the portable drive!!!!

Here is my next purchase. ---------->>>> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52070.msg703550#msg703550

edit: download rates and battiery charge times.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 06:28:11 PM by tfs8271 »
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 06:32:25 PM »
I'm thinking a 2, a 4 and maybe one of these things....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1203

Anyone used one with success??  I've read that they won't do more than 4-6 gig on one charge but If I had an inverter It should be OK. My only concern is the larger file size.

I have a 1 GB card and a 4 GB card. I did my first festival shows at HSMF and I used http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1335818&CatId=1203 and it works great but doesn't download fast enough (1 GB in ~13 minutes) from band to band (actually just fast enough with like five minutes to spare) so have to be ready as soon as the act is done and erase asap for the next act and yes I was only able to do ~5 GB before recharging. Luckily they had power at locations at High Sierra. Coffee in the morning and a recharge/download while showering.

In the future I will go with this one, which downloads 1 GB in 2 minutes and uses standard AA battieres. They say ~50 GB download with one battiery charge. I will use my 20GB Inoi for taking files to work or to a friends house on road trips as you can move from your pc harddrive to the portable drive!!!!

Here is my next purchase. ---------->>>> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52070.msg703550#msg703550

edit: download rates and battiery charge times.

Forgot to note that the download from the portable devise to your home pc is real fast. Therefore as I'm drive home I will download it to the portable unit and then I can listen right away at home rather than waiting for the download time from 660 to pc. I like to take pictures as well, so I have used my Inoi to download photos from digi camera as well when my card get full.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
Thanks!  +T
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 08:42:13 PM »
What's the consensus here on running the -20db pad on the 660?

I didn't run it when I taped GRAB last weekend, and i had great levels, but it wasn't an especially loud show. Does the 660 have better S/N ratio at higher gain levels? is that way it's suggested to run with the pad on?

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »
ran the pad my first show with the 660 and i regretted it. never again. you won't need it.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 09:26:18 PM »
I always have the -20db on!

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 09:29:58 PM »
I always have the -20db on!

just goes to show...different strokes...what kind of music do you generally record monk?
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 10:07:51 PM »
ran the pad my first show with the 660 and i regretted it. never again. you won't need it.

I gotta agree with you. I used the -20 once, it was overkill. All I use is the -10db on my mics and thats if its a loud small place.

paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 10:11:22 PM »
We should do a little poll and see how many 660 users there are on the boards... i've only seen tapes seeded from 2 or 3 people, but there seems to be a handful of us now...

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 10:44:17 PM »
Rock shows at small venues and outdoor shows. I taped Tea Leaf Green, Umphrey's,  U-Melt, moe, Ben Harper, and David Gilmour (largets venue to date.

When I first strated taping I had no pad and got clippings

Recently taped Rose Hill Drive at CBGB and with the -20db they destroyed the pmd660 with the sheer volume.

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 10:45:30 PM »
I recently got the CA-9100 so thinking when I see U-Melt tomorrow try without the -20db

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 10:49:33 PM »
pmonk is yours modified?!?

With a +4dB overload limit on the ACM I would be shocked  :o :o to see any microphone recording overload the box.  I think running the -20dB pad was for running the box at a higer level on the record wheel.  If it's a simple variable resistor this makes sense as you would have less effect (coloration) of that circuit at the higer points on the wheel.  I would simply test to see if there's any noise intorduced by the pad with a non-input if not I can understand the recommendation.

I can't wait to get mine...

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 10:56:40 PM »

With a +4dB overload limit on the ACM I would be shocked  :o :o to see any microphone recording overload the box.  I think running the -20dB pad was for running the box at a higer level on the record wheel.  If it's a simple variable resistor this makes sense as you would have less effect (coloration) of that circuit at the higer points on the wheel.  I would simply test to see if there's any noise intorduced by the pad with a non-input if not I can understand the recommendation.

Hey, what mics will you run in front of your new 660?

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 11:01:22 PM »

I'm confused. Are there situations where you would want to run the pad so you can turn the record level up? I'm asking because I don't really understand. I was under the impression that you use the pad if you have to but if you don't need it don't use it. Can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks
Paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 11:02:22 PM »
I've got 481/83's  ;D  I think you may have heard of them.  ;)

Hey, what mics will you run in front of your new 660?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com