Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**  (Read 83361 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2005, 11:49:41 AM »
.. or a more desirable 24bit and 16bit a/d converter.  but you're right, no device can output both that i know of.

No, this is one of those little advertised features of the Benchmark/Sonic Sense AD2K+. It allows you to output both a 24-bit and 16-bit signal though it's digital outputs.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2005, 11:56:53 AM »
What pre can run a 16bit signal to dat and a 24bit to MT, both in 48? I know my V3 won't do that. I'd like to run either a JB3 or dat backup all the time, not just in the begining.

Another option for folks with a D100 or M1 is to run their A/D at 24 bits for the MT and also send the digital signal to the D100/M1.  According to Doug Oade, the D100/M1 accepts 20 bits and then uses tdf dithering to dither the 20 bit signal to 16 bits.  So in this case the D100/M1 would truncate the 24 bit signal to 20 bits and then use tdf to dither the 20bit signal to 16bits.  The extra 4 bits at 20bits should be plenty to get a good dithered 16 bit signal, so folks with the D100/M1 could get a good 16 bit backup to the 24bit MT no matter what A/D they had.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2005, 12:06:02 PM »
.. or a more desirable 24bit and 16bit a/d converter.  but you're right, no device can output both that i know of.

No, this is one of those little advertised features of the Benchmark/Sonic Sense AD2K+. It allows you to output both a 24-bit and 16-bit signal though it's digital outputs.

Wayne
That would do the job, but an expensive option. What would be a good pre to run in front?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2005, 12:09:05 PM »

Wayne
That would do the job, but an expensive option. What would be a good pre to run in front?

V2
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline ts

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2005, 12:12:01 PM »
What pre can run a 16bit signal to dat and a 24bit to MT, both in 48? I know my V3 won't do that. I'd like to run either a JB3 or dat backup all the time, not just in the begining.

Another option for folks with a D100 or M1 is to run their A/D at 24 bits for the MT and also send the digital signal to the D100/M1.  According to Doug Oade, the D100/M1 accepts 20 bits and then uses tdf dithering to dither the 20 bit signal to 16 bits.  So in this case the D100/M1 would truncate the 24 bit signal to 20 bits and then use tdf to dither the 20bit signal to 16bits.  The extra 4 bits at 20bits should be plenty to get a good dithered 16 bit signal, so folks with the D100/M1 could get a good 16 bit backup to the 24bit MT no matter what A/D they had.
This sounds nice. Run the V3 coax out into the MT and what output into an M1? I sometimes run the AES1 out to 7pin. That should do it, no?

Offline ts

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2005, 12:13:51 PM »

Wayne

V2
That's what I thought. But I've been having the AKG>V3 brittle high end problem that's been a hot topic here lately.

Offline ts

« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

Wayne

psp-2  ;)

;)  ;D

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »
if you have the v3 set at 24bit and have the coax out to the mt, and the optical out to the jb3, the jb3 version will just be truncated right?

i'd personally test the mt a bit at home before i take it out.  i'll prolly only run the jb3 a couple of times after i get the mt tho, and for those times the truncated version shouldn't be too bad, will it?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
This sounds nice. Run the V3 coax out into the MT and what output into an M1? I sometimes run the AES1 out to 7pin. That should do it, no?

Yep, that would do it.  I forget which AES is which on the V3, but without looking it up, I think that AES1 can be set to consumer status and AES2 is always pro.  But either work with the M1 since the M1 is pro and ignores SCMS anyway.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2005, 12:49:38 PM »
well, personally i'm not going to be recording 24-bit right away.  i intend to use this as a jb3/dat replacement until i have more invested in playback gear and storage to fully appreciate and capture the 24-bit recordings.  i rarely find time to track out my shows in the first place, let alone go through time-intensive dither/resampling...that's why i quit laptop taping a while back.  it's great to know i have the option, but i'm going to stay at 16-bit for the time being.  plus who knows how the 2gb limit is going to affect 24-bit recording at first.

i do have my sbm-1 still, although i'm thinking of selling it since the v3 output tends to be pretty hot for the sbm-1 and it's either brickwall the sbm-1 or run the v3 levels lower than i want to...i could use that as a/d from v3 for the 16-bit devices while running v3 at 24-bit.  maybe i'll pickup a separate a/d unit when the time comes.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2005, 02:10:27 PM »
This suspense is killing me!  >:(
You know you have issues when you have to check your email every 5 minutes to see if Frank has any good news!  ;D ;)
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2005, 04:49:26 PM »
Pfff...  ::) tell me about it.

I ordered mine from guygraphics and I feel like I know Clayton Guy at this point...

I keep thinking that I'M the one that's going get to make the announcement! You know, the one where I say, "Ha! My MicroTrack is ON THE WAY..." what? False alarm... let's see if some dope reads that little bit and runs with it.

I've checked my email and THIS thread all day waiting to see some confirmation... and so far nothing!

I'm still waiting on an email from Jace Huzback to see if the MicroTrack will seamlessly run over the 2GB limit and start a new file name or how will it handle that?
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »
" it is not clear if the Microtrackers S/PDIF input is bit accurate or not. "   ??? Doug Oade said this the other day and I don't know what he means by it.  Any quesses?
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2005, 05:53:31 PM »
" it is not clear if the Microtrackers S/PDIF input is bit accurate or not. "   ??? Doug Oade said this the other day and I don't know what he means by it.  Any quesses?

It means that alot of the less expensive sound cards like the Creative SoundBlaster cards resample the digital signal on input. They do not record the exact digital signal being fed to them.   Other cards like the Echo MIA and M-Audio 24/96 do not resample and receive/record  the exact signal fed to it. 

I thin Doug is just being a little pessimistic about this.  I would be SHOCKED if M-Audio has set it up to always resample but again we will not know until someone has one in their hands.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2005, 06:07:28 PM »
how would we know ???
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com