Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam CF Recorder Announced.  (Read 20726 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re: Tascam CF Recorder Announced.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 01:20:32 PM »
this thing looks very promising. i was just getting sold on the 671, now this.  :hmmm:

no joke...though I'm thinking this Tascam is going to more $$$ than even a Oade ACM-mod 671

the water's clean and innocent

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 01:21:59 PM »
the nice thing about them basing this off the p1 is that it should limit production and design costs to some degree as they are just adapting the technology, rather than developing it from scratch lik sounddevices had to. 

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 01:22:12 PM »
this thing looks very promising. i was just getting sold on the 671, now this.  :hmmm:

no joke...though I'm thinking this Tascam is going to more $$$ than even a Oade ACM-mod 671

And if your just going digi-in, its bascially the same unit. I guess it depends how much it will be.
Retired Taper

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005, 01:37:35 PM »
am i the only one who wonders why this thing is so big?

the da-p1 had a tape transport, which needed space.   this thing seems like it could be a lot smaller, right?  i wonder how much empty space there is inside that box

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
I may have to consider this if the firmware in the MicroTrack doesn't fix some of the issues. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 01:38:59 PM »
i wonder how much empty space there is inside that box...

...for an Oade mod  ;D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 01:41:56 PM »
seriously though.  if the 722 can cram flash and a hard drive in a box that's smaller, why is the tascam so big when it's only flash?  the same question could be asked for he fr2 i guess. 

Offline modmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »
Anyone see anything about how it handles the 2GB file size issue?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 01:43:21 PM »
seriously though.  if the 722 can cram flash and a hard drive in a box that's smaller, why is the tascam so big when it's only flash?  the same question could be asked for he fr2 i guess. 

I think it's because they are trying to limit costs by just working off the p1 shell.  they've got all the non-transport electronics probably mounted the same way they were in the p1 and all.  just makes it cheaper to not have to re-engineer everything, i would think.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »
MicroTracker who?   Marantz PMD671 what?

well..  we all knew that tascam would introduce some sort of CF/Microdrive recorder for ENG..  Looks like this unit will replace the DAP1 (which I have) for incomiming analog and (transparant) digital signals upped to 24bit..    Dont be surprised if Sony follows with a replacement as well for their D10 D8 etc...   

(marv on) YES!!!!  (/marv off)

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 02:14:38 PM »

I think it's because they are trying to limit costs by just working off the p1 shell.  they've got all the non-transport electronics probably mounted the same way they were in the p1 and all.  just makes it cheaper to not have to re-engineer everything, i would think.

We can hope this is their motive.  It would be great if it came in with a lower price than the 671 and Doug would work his magic mods on this box!
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 02:30:20 PM »
Anyone know the release date and price?  ;D
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 02:34:21 PM »
I'm curious if this unit could record 24 bit and send true 16 bit data via the S/PDIF out, or if it would dither down to 16 bit?  That would be sweet if it worked like the MMe in that respect.

This is probably a stupid question, but since it's got the RCA I/O's, could you record 4 channels like the UA-5 (matrix)?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 02:39:13 PM »
I'm curious if this unit could record 24 bit and send true 16 bit data via the S/PDIF out, or if it would dither down to 16 bit?  That would be sweet if it worked like the MMe in that respect.

This is probably a stupid question, but since it's got the RCA I/O's, could you record 4 channels like the UA-5 (matrix)?

if it works like the DA-P1, no

the water's clean and innocent

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »

if it works like the DA-P1, no

I take it that's a no to both items?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com