Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Are you sorry you bought the Microtrack?

Yes
30 (25.2%)
No
53 (44.5%)
Not sure yet
36 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?  (Read 18623 times)

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
Re: Poll: Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2005, 02:48:35 PM »
I'm still drooling over this thing even after all the "complaints". I am currently running a second-hand JB3. While it gets the job done, spending $300 on a recorder that records at 48/24 sounds pretty damn good to me STILL. After they bring it to 96/24 I'll be all over it.

I've heard some tapes done with the MT and they sound great. I love Skalinder's Nickel Creek set with the unit.

It is still a wonderful stealth tool too from the looks of it.

I still think this is a case where everyone thought this unit would totally change taping for the better. It is just a great alternative to a MUCH more expensive recorder. I'd love a 722 but can't justify dropping $2300 for it.

A firmwire upgraded MT will most likely be a part of the massive upgrade I do in a year or two.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »
I'm still drooling over this thing even after all the "complaints". I am currently running a second-hand JB3. While it gets the job done, spending $300 on a recorder that records at 48/24 sounds pretty damn good to me STILL. After they bring it to 96/24 I'll be all over it.

I've heard some tapes done with the MT and they sound great. I love Skalinder's Nickel Creek set with the unit.

It is still a wonderful stealth tool too from the looks of it.

I still think this is a case where everyone thought this unit would totally change taping for the better. It is just a great alternative to a MUCH more expensive recorder. I'd love a 722 but can't justify dropping $2300 for it.

A firmwire upgraded MT will most likely be a part of the massive upgrade I do in a year or two.

You can have my practically-new only-used-it-twice  MT for $250.  I'm serious.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
After last weekend, I couldn't be happier with my new DPA 4061's > MMA6000 pre > MT stealth rig!   I recorded my very first two U2 shows last Friday and Saturday nights in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.  Friday night FOB, dead center.  Saturday night in the seats at the back of the arena, a few rows off the floor just to left of the mixing board.  Both recordings turned out great, at least to my ears!   I recorded at 24/48.  The only glitch, which happened Friday night, was my fault.  I somehow accidentally hit the L/M/H switch and set it to H as I was stopping/restarting the recording before the encore to avoid the 2GB limit.  Probably as I was sliding the MT back into my pocket.   So the last 4 songs were heavily clipped.  Once they add the auto-restart feature in the next firmware upgrade to address the 2GB limit, that should help prevent any more mishaps like this one.  In the meantime, I now have a glob of epoxy in that L/M/H switch to keep it from moving from the L position.

Here are some sample FLAC (24/48) from the two U2 Vegas recordings:

11/4  "Love and Peace or Else.flac"  -  http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23TIDW0ZT4GHB0L0VSA4XOCRMI
11/4 "Sunday Bloody Sunday.flac" - http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Z8GWM21XH1IH0TVJSIWTKLLQH
11/5 "Bullet the Blue Sky.flac" - http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RH737Z4PS9DF0RTLXWOLH6YJG
11/5 "In a Little While (wth Brandon Flowers of The Killers).flac" - http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30QS4X9LN1PQU281OQ0NM0ULYD

Wow, i just listened to sunday bloody sunday and that bass reponse is killer.  Very nice stealth tape, boy am i jealous!

As for the Tracker, i'm just waiting till they get all the bugs worked out so i wont have any issues in a stealth scenario and i'll jump on one asap.  The meters thing would freak me out too and yes, i would consider that a showstopper is i can't tell if i'm clipping or not.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline RumoredToTheSN

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »
You can have my practically-new only-used-it-twice  MT for $250.  I'm serious.

i'll take you up on that!

:o

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »
Are you sorry you bought A Microtrack?

Well, in the 7 hours I've owned one, the answer's no....

I'll report back further after Mule Wednesday night.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline oldwave

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2005, 10:46:25 PM »
OK I bought the microtrack with an open mind even after reading the growing pains that might be fixed with firmware update. However, either I have a bad one or there are some very serious design faults.  I flashed the firmware immediately and began to try to record.  First problem an old slow compact flash card that could not keep up, I figured that out pretty quick, I used a newer one and it cleared up some of the issues there.  I then tried a spidif recording from my computer interface and that worked ok.  The I tried some analog recording witht the 1/8 input.  I found that the shielding on this thing is so bad that when I put my thumb over the lcd screen the level of self noise increased to an unacceptable level, just the electricty from my body was making this thing noisy.  Next I heard of problems using the 1/4 inputs.  I sent a -10 consumer level signal from my cd recorder and the inputs where immediately over level, not a +4 balanced level mind you but a -10!  While the inpurs are marked mic/line, I expect what is happening is that all signal is being routed through the mic preamp, which will make in useless as a line level recorder without major external pads. It also froze a lot as has been reported.  I am calling them tommorow to speak with tech support about the signal input design and see if what I suspect is correct or if the firmware is so bad that the audio is mis routed.  I have been a recording engineer for many years, and in fact worked as a live recording engineer for the Rock Hall for 5 years, I understand levels, impedence, and basic signal flow.  I have beeln hoping for a small minature device that would double as a mp3 player as well as record high quality audio.  It is not quite there yet, it needs a more robust build, line and mic level inputs, (ala the pro walkman from many years ago) and a mature level of dsp progamming before release.  I hope that Tascam or Panasonic steps up to the table and gives a truly pro quality piece at a decent price.  
While this is not meant to rant, I am open to the posiibility that the unit is bad, any body else been able to record -10 line level inputs with out problems ?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2005, 11:02:35 PM »
"You're obviously not an early adopter."   :P

Offline oldwave

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »
Hey all I asked was for some feedback on whether anyone else has the same issues with the line level inputs, not a generic flame. 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »
It wasn't a generic flame. It was originally directed at me for bitching about *my* microtrack.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2005, 06:33:07 PM »
Hey all I asked was for some feedback on whether anyone else has the same issues with the line level inputs, not a generic flame. 

Someone wrote to M-Audio and recieved a reply that they are aware of the line-in issue and are going to address it in the next firmware. It's in another thread here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52968.15
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
25 hours of use in 2 weeks using the  MT2496 recording SPDIF in..only 16/44.1, Thats a lot of use in a short period of time IMO.  NO Complaints!!  will be changing sample rate in about 2 weeks when i get a new comp.

"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

cmoorevt

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2005, 08:04:22 PM »
Got an email from M-Audio today that said a new firmware will be out this Friday.  Considering almost all their other firmware upgrades for other devices come out on Mondays I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it is more promising than what they had been saying previously, which was not much.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »
Woooo!! Good news! :)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to it.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »
Got an email from M-Audio today that said a new firmware will be out this Friday.  Considering almost all their other firmware upgrades for other devices come out on Mondays I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it is more promising than what they had been saying previously, which was not much.

Went to the M-audio website today (Friday), I did not see a new firmware.  :(
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com