Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4 Experiences  (Read 20156 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Edirol R-4 Experiences
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:35:18 AM »
I'm thinking of picking one of these up and am looking for some input from people who curently are using one.  I've heard Doug Oade will be offering his pre mods, perhaps one on each input pair, but he did not respond to my email.  What is the battery life & DC power requirements?  Any more info that the review on Nick's Picks would be great.

Thanks

Brian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 01:00:46 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: Edirol R-4 Experiences
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »
There's a rather large thread with battery life test results. I think it was R4 Run times, but you'll have to search for it.

I got plenty of time off 9.6v rc packs. 6ah went something like 8 hours of record for me.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 03:41:14 PM »
Minidisco has these at a great price.  Maybe not the absolute best price, but I think it's the best advertised price.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 08:45:01 PM »
here's a new point of data about the r4:  mine won't boot up when it's cold.  don't leave it in the trunk in december!

i spoke with roland about it and they told me i shouldn't be seeing behavior like that until the sub-zero temps, certainly not the 35 degrees we saw today.  SO, note to any aspiring arctic field recordists:  the edirol r-4 is sadly not the unit for you   ;D

after 8 hours or so in my trunk today, it took 20 minutes or so of room temperature before it would boot again.

FYI.  can someone try to reproduce this for me in the interest of science?

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 10:36:08 PM »
I'll be running pedro's for awhile... (thanks)

really like it on first impression

build feels fine. looks easy to use..

I really want to run some comps with it soon...
and the perfect box for a matrix..

I'll also try and reproduce some vibration issues while some friends practice with full gear/amps...

?>FR2LE

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:55:51 PM »
It resamples on Digi In, yeah??

teddy

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 12:45:46 AM »
It does resample digi in from what I understand, but that is not too big of a deal IMO. I can't hear a difference on either of my systems. I'm considering this unit as well but am concerned about the hdd slow messages. The highest rate I would most likely record at would be 24/48, so maybe it would be stable for that.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 08:21:52 AM »
It does resample digi in from what I understand, but that is not too big of a deal IMO. I can't hear a difference on either of my systems. I'm considering this unit as well but am concerned about the hdd slow messages. The highest rate I would most likely record at would be 24/48, so maybe it would be stable for that.

not trying to dissuade you from the r4 -- it's a great machine, and i love it -- but i'm just saying that my first instinct when i saw the 'HDD SLOW' error during a live session was to ramp down from 24/96 to 24/48... and then i got 'HDD SLOW' all over again at 24/48.

tim, feel free to do any vibration tests with it as you can, just pad it nicely for the xmas jam!  :-)

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 12:32:58 PM »
The R4 would be the box to own if it wasn't for the hdd slow. I guess the CF boxes are where it's at. I really like the idea of a 40 gig hd. Seems like Edirol could fix this issue if they really wanted to.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 12:40:10 PM »
I have never had a media slow with the 722, even as I have let the HD get above 50% full.  CF isn't necessary.  The 722 does not do DMA to the hard drive. If it did, the transfer rates would be much higher. That is most significant when copying content off the device.  The 4.5MB/sec rate is plenty for even 24/192.

I'm not sure what kind of drive is used in the R4 but I'm pretty sure this issue is R-4 and not the drive.

zowie

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 12:46:35 PM »
I seem to recall a prior thread where the problem was traced to vibration from loud music and cured by padding. Or was that a different box?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 01:15:53 PM »
I seem to recall a prior thread where the problem was traced to vibration from loud music and cured by padding. Or was that a different box?

I thought that was the Fostex FR2?    ??? 
Not positive on that though.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline timP

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
If you run a 4gig memory card in the R4, can you transfer straight to the internal HD and clean the card?
not the best solution, but it might work....
?>FR2LE

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »
Problem with the R4 as I understand it is that you can't record to the CF card, only to the hd, which is another stupid design flaw.

From what I've read in old posts, it seems that some people have had no problems with the R4 and others have had a lot, with regards to the hdd slow errors. My instinct tells me that it is more of a HD tolerance issue, or lack of quality control. If you get one with a top notch drive then it's all good. I'm just guessing here.

With Minidisco's low price on this, I wish that I could know that it would be rock solid, I'd order one today. I'm on the fence between the r4, hdp2 and the 671.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »
I would give edirol a call and ask them to explain wtf is going on.  If they can't give you a clear answer or 'play dumb', well....

I refuse to believe that this is due to drive tolerances.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com