Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So ... recording with the iRiver. finally feasable?  (Read 44633 times)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
So ... recording with the iRiver. finally feasable?
« on: January 05, 2006, 07:20:18 PM »
I know the rockbox development was working on getting a hack done on the firmware to make it a 'taping friendly' box that could write to .wav and had longer max file length / time on the recording file .. did they do it finally? .. I haven't been keeping up with the project in a while. probably a year. but I just saw this show:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=32471

Source: Core Sound Cardioids > iRiver H340 (w/ Rockbox)
Lineage: iRiver H340 > USB > Adobe Audition > CD Wave Editor > WAV > FLAC
Taped by: Finchy (finchy@jbtlive.com)

anyone used it? ... field results? ... love it? .. hate it? .. just keeping my mind and options open for (hopefully never) when my beloved Nomad Jukebox 3 gets run over or nuked or something .. 1.5 years deep and not a single problem with it so far... here's to many more years.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: So ... recording with the iRiver. finally feasable?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 07:30:25 PM »
I don't think they have figured out any digital in on thes boxes, only meters for analog

you have always been able to go analog in on the HP1x0 series, just no meters for your levels, no pops or drop outs
only got them via digital in

so while this is nice i guess, I really want optical in for my 120 to work....

but the JB3 works great
?>FR2LE

Offline Weazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »
there working on the digital in on on the ihp-1xx series.
anolog in works great 2 gig files limit and recording straight into a new file, 9 hours recording time on a fully charged battery.
level meters are added. on the fly gain.

and with an external adc bitarate perhaps will go too 96/24 on the ihp-1xx series once digital in is added

rockbox for h3xx series is just in progress and analog wav recording is added yes. same options as on the ihp-1xx series.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 08:50:56 PM by Weazel »
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:01:59 PM »
Weazel, can we have some good shots on what the levels look like?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
this is from the ihp1xx. i think in the furure they support custom wrs (while recording screen)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 03:27:24 PM by Weazel »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »
thanks for the pic. while recording screen? what's that?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »
thanks for the pic. while recording screen? what's that?

Probably an option to change levels (or at least view what you're at) while recording instead of doing it from a setup page.

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
no, it's the recording screen when you record. like the playing screen in rockbox you can design your own layout, so i think it will be available in the future also for the recording screen. checkout www.rockbox.org for more info.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:17:46 PM by Weazel »

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »
is the only difference between the H3XX and H1XX the lack of SPDIF in?

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 04:18:30 AM »
no, it's the recording screen when you record. like the playing screen in rockbox you can design your own layout, so i think it will be available in the future also for the recording screen. checkout www.rockbox.org for more info.
sounds cool, but for now...the levels are very usefull (they look like it anyway) for stealthing in dark places?

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 07:49:24 AM »
yes the levels are usabable i heard verry possitive story's about them.
the only difference bewtween the 1xx and the 3xx is the spif/d in and out on the 1xx and collor display on the 3xx.
rockbox is also now bussy porting to the toshiba gigabeat and the iaudiio x5.

but as far i can see the ihp 1xx serie is still the best DAP ever made. look at head-fi page how many use them for the digital out.and with rockbox you can play flac and shorten and wavpac lossless codecs.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:53:40 AM by Weazel »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 01:44:44 PM »
yes the levels are usabable i heard verry possitive story's about them.
the only difference bewtween the 1xx and the 3xx is the spif/d in and out on the 1xx and collor display on the 3xx.
rockbox is also now bussy porting to the toshiba gigabeat and the iaudiio x5.

but as far i can see the ihp 1xx serie is still the best DAP ever made. look at head-fi page how many use them for the digital out.and with rockbox you can play flac and shorten and wavpac lossless codecs.

bit confused, the older model has in/out SPDIF, and the h3* does not??
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 01:47:40 PM by popmarter »

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 04:42:53 PM »
indeed

Offline FINCHY

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.jbtlive.com
    • JBT Live
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 02:22:50 AM »
but as far i can see the ihp 1xx serie is still the best DAP ever made.

Can't argue with you there ;)

But for me I don't need digital input so the H300 serves my needs perfectly (now)! & I couldn't be more happier :D  Maybe if I was doing regular soundboard patches it might be worth looking at a digital source... but with live stealth AUD taping, analog input is fine since the quality is never 100% perfect anyway.

The most important thing for me is having minimal gear to carry in to the show, & not changing discs!! All I need now is the iRiver & the mics... & that's it :D & knowing that I'm never going to need to start a new recording half way thru the show is 1 less thing to worry about & such a relief. It's great, I can wear the mics & iRiver & forget about taping till the end of the show, & being a HDD recorder it handles a lot of soft bumps so I can even boogie & move around a little with without fear of defects & skips etc. Compared to my last rig this like comlete freedom & so much less stress.

As far as the RB interface goes, its simple & accurate & functional... what else do ya need :) The level meters are great!, I haven't seen such a large levels display on a portable WAV recorder.

Every taper has their own preferences & requirements & techniques etc... but for me: iRiver H340 w/ Rockbox is the answer to all my prayers :D & as I said: I couldn't be happier! Thank you Rockbox!!! :D
CSC > iRiver H340 (w/ Rockbox)

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 04:33:21 AM »
but as far i can see the ihp 1xx serie is still the best DAP ever made.

Can't argue with you there ;)

But for me I don't need digital input so the H300 serves my needs perfectly (now)! & I couldn't be more happier :D  Maybe if I was doing regular soundboard patches it might be worth looking at a digital source... but with live stealth AUD taping, analog input is fine since the quality is never 100% perfect anyway.

The most important thing for me is having minimal gear to carry in to the show, & not changing discs!! All I need now is the iRiver & the mics... & that's it :D & knowing that I'm never going to need to start a new recording half way thru the show is 1 less thing to worry about & such a relief. It's great, I can wear the mics & iRiver & forget about taping till the end of the show, & being a HDD recorder it handles a lot of soft bumps so I can even boogie & move around a little with without fear of defects & skips etc. Compared to my last rig this like comlete freedom & so much less stress.

As far as the RB interface goes, its simple & accurate & functional... what else do ya need :) The level meters are great!, I haven't seen such a large levels display on a portable WAV recorder.

Every taper has their own preferences & requirements & techniques etc... but for me: iRiver H340 w/ Rockbox is the answer to all my prayers :D & as I said: I couldn't be happier! Thank you Rockbox!!! :D

He FINCHY, you don't work for Iriver, do you :-)

No honestly, from what i read sofar this unit could be THE thing for stealthers like you and me. Like you,i can't really be bother by digi-in as i don't do sbd, neither do i have a fancy preamp. i know my at831 mics can make some wonderfull recordings, like you i only care about carring as little as possible and good LEVELS.

So, back to the money. H120 is second hand for about 150 euro if you are luckiy.the H300 are around 300 euro. That's about the max you have to spend for a recorder that is definitly better than any minidisc. You don't need extra memorycards, as you need for the Microtrack.

now, i am happy sofar, or am i missing something here..?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com