Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SoundDevices 702 - is it possible to upgrade it with a HDD at a later point?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline petal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Now that these new and cheaper devices are available, I can't help but wondering if it is possible to upgrade them with a HDD yourself if needed?

And if yes, which kind of HDD is needed then - The same kind as the ones that are used in Laptops (2½")?

Cheers!
Thomas

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
you cant , but might be it will mirror real time in the future so you will be able to record for both medias at ones .
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline petal

• Taperssection Newbie
I'm not sure I understand your reply right...

But the 702/702T comes without the internal HDD, right? my guess is that it is completely the same device as the 722/722T, just without the internal HDD. Which then leads me to the assumption that you could just install a HDD yourself if needed?

What confuses me in your reply is that you say "no" to a potential upgrade, but yes to mirroring? wouldn't mirroring a recording include an internal HDD?

Cheers!
Thomas

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
But the 702/702T comes without the internal HDD, right? my guess is that it is completely the same device as the 722/722T, just without the internal HDD.

I would check with SD before you count on that and buy one hoping to add a HD.   The shock mounting rings and the flex cable will very likely not be in there.  Also, they probably don't populate the flex connector socket and some power supply components.  They would try to reduce cost by eliminating any components associated only with the internal HD subsystem. 

If you look at the photos on the SD website, they show that the LCD has INT, CF and EXT drive capacity fields.  But the several drawings in the manual show only CF and EXT drive capacity fields.  Also the INT LEDs are not present on the panel.  So my bet is that they pulled all the components associated with support for the INT HD and you won't be able to just install one.  The INT HD capacity fields appearing in the promotional shots are likely due to them using a branch of the 722 firmware when the pictures were taken.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
you might want to check this thread for more discussion on this

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=61810.0

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
I'm not sure I understand your reply right...

But the 702/702T comes without the internal HDD, right? my guess is that it is completely the same device as the 722/722T, just without the internal HDD. Which then leads me to the assumption that you could just install a HDD yourself if needed?

What confuses me in your reply is that you say "no" to a potential upgrade, but yes to mirroring? wouldn't mirroring a recording include an internal HDD?

Cheers!
Thomas

the 702 does not support internal hdd , you cant add one , you can buy 722 without hdd and add yours .
it might be in the future the 702 will be able mirroring to external device in real time thru the fire wire  - might be it will able to copy only after the session is complete .

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
you can buy 722 without hdd and add yours .

They are selling the 722RAW again?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider

I dont believe so.  I havent seen a retailer offering it, and you are the only person I was aware of who ended up getting one.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage

I dont believe so.  I havent seen a retailer offering it, and you are the only person I was aware of who ended up getting one.

What is/was the 722RAW?

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider

What is/was the 722RAW?

Wayne

when they first announced the unit, you could buy it without the little batter and Hard Drive, so you could install your own.  By the time the units went to market they changed their mind on selling them this way and the only people allowed to buy that unit at the marketed price and without the hard drive and the small battery were those that had put a deposit down on that unit.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
100% confirmed you CANNOT add a HDD to the 702 or the 702T. They (re)moved a few things around inside to accomodate the slight board changes, etc.

It has been rumored that with Firmware v2.0 that you can mirror all your recordings to an external FW drive or a DVD-RAM drive. DVD-R is also to be supported, but there is still a bit of work to go. Software version 2.0 is still in Alpha, but a final version is rumored to be released at the end of June.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline petal

• Taperssection Newbie
OK,

Thanks for the info - I was just thinking, that in many situations its actually cheaper productionwise, to only have one edition of electronic guts produced than having many slightly different editions of guts. But I guess thats not the case in this situation.

Cheers!
Thomas :)

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Well, it would defeat the purpose of having a unit at a higher price point if all you had to do was grab an aftermarket drive and throw it in.  The difference in price btwn the two is certainly more than the value of the hdd.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline petal

• Taperssection Newbie
Well, it depends on from which point of view you are looking at things. The difference could also be seen as profit, especially since the spared parts hardly of any big value.

Anyways I'm only specualting here.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.161 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com