Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack 24/96 1.3.3  (Read 71452 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Microtrack 24/96 1.3.3
« Reply #330 on: April 27, 2006, 11:50:15 AM »
I noticed that my battery seemed to drain while unplugged when I first got it.  However, after recording a bunch of shows and recharging maybe 10-15 times or so the battery seems to be 'conditioned' and hardly looses a charge anymore.

PS.  I've also had no problems since going back to 1.2.3.  Even if we get a new firmware soon I am not likely to go to it until I see others results.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline kfrinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »
I am torn. I am thinking about going back to 1.2.3 since I am hgeading out of town to tape a festival.  No sets will be greater than 2 hours, thats for sure, but I have not had any problems with 1.3.3 yet, although I have only used it a couple of times....  So what are the perks of 1.3.3 that I would really miss going back to 1.2.3?
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »
I am torn. I am thinking about going back to 1.2.3 since I am hgeading out of town to tape a festival.  No sets will be greater than 2 hours, thats for sure, but I have not had any problems with 1.3.3 yet, although I have only used it a couple of times....  So what are the perks of 1.3.3 that I would really miss going back to 1.2.3?

d00d, just keep the 1.3.3, your taping analog in, there arent any probs with it unless your MT is bad plus iill have my lappie there so if you really start freaking out you can always switch it... ;D
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2006, 12:40:40 PM »
Has anyone narrowed down exactly when the "recording stops" occur?  We ran 3 MT's with v1.3.3 at the Beacon for 3 nights and didn't have a single problem.  Typical times were 1 set @ 1h10m?, second set about 1h30m or so.  16/44.1.  Two were SPDIF in, one was mic-in via TRS.

Then recently we ran two of the three MT's at a show and they both stopped recording independently within minutes of each other.   Identical machines right down to the CF cards (2GB Kingston Elite).  Both were running SPDIF in, 16/44.1 each from a different source.  The recordings stopped during the 3rd set.  Both MT's were stopped between sets.  It seems like problems occur  either:
  • After two files are already on the CF card
  • or when a recording is started with 'x' or less free space is left on the CF card.  Not sure what 'x' is

I've got a show Sunday that I'll probably go back to 1.2.3 for.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »
Check back earlier in this thead for a description of when it stops.  But basically if recording SPDIF the MT calculates the time left internally as if things are being recorded at 96k.  So even when recording at a lower rate it will stop when you would run out of space at 96k.  So exact stopping time depends on how much space you have left on your card.   NOTE: This is the time that is shown when you check how much space is left on the card though the menu.  Not the time left displayed while recording.

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »
Ran Particle last night at 24/96 first set, about 75 minutes, second set 24/48 about 71 minutes (doh should've gone 96) with 1.3.3 and everything went well.  I also had backup power with the walmart > juicebox > usb which worked great.   Here are my paranoid steps to make sure the MT records as planned:

1. Format the CF card with the MT before usage.
2. Make sure A/D has been running for about a minute.
3. Plug in S/PDIF cable to MT.
4. Power up, good to go, plug in backup power.
5. Record and immediately put hold button on.

Swap out CF cards if you are going to record another set.  Everything ran great last night.  My rig is pretty much right where I want it now.  Oh and new particle is sick!  Hey you got some rock in my space!  They sing now, whoa!
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #336 on: April 27, 2006, 03:23:43 PM »
Ran Particle last night at 24/96 first set, about 75 minutes, second set 24/48 about 71 minutes (doh should've gone 96) with 1.3.3 and everything went well.  I also had backup power with the walmart > juicebox > usb which worked great.   Here are my paranoid steps to make sure the MT records as planned:

1. Format the CF card with the MT before usage.
2. Make sure A/D has been running for about a minute.
3. Plug in S/PDIF cable to MT.
4. Power up, good to go, plug in backup power.
5. Record and immediately put hold button on.

Swap out CF cards if you are going to record another set.  Everything ran great last night.  My rig is pretty much right where I want it now.  Oh and new particle is sick!  Hey you got some rock in my space!  They sing now, whoa!

I think the main problem with 1.3.3 is it only work well if you record one track per a CF card. As long as you don't make a 2nd track on the same CF card you will not encounter the cut off. Cut off only happens in my situation after the 1st track using SPDIF in with 24bit setting.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2006, 03:40:25 PM »
I think the main problem with 1.3.3 is it only work well if you record one track per a CF card. As long as you don't make a 2nd track on the same CF card you will not encounter the cut off.

Interesting. What a strange bug though.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2006, 04:16:40 AM »
I think the main problem with 1.3.3 is it only work well if you record one track per a CF card. As long as you don't make a 2nd track on the same CF card you will not encounter the cut off. Cut off only happens in my situation after the 1st track using SPDIF in with 24bit setting.
Did you communicate this with M-Audio?
I did have a two-track situation with 1.3.3 once, but that was with analog input. Worked OK.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »
I've record many tracks per compact flash card with no issues.  Usually one for each set and another for the encore.  Several times recorded shows with the previous shows files still on the card.  The only issue I have seen is the one mentioned earlier in the thread where remaining time is not figured correctly for SPDIF.

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
I've record many tracks per compact flash card with no issues.  Usually one for each set and another for the encore.  Several times recorded shows with the previous shows files still on the card.  The only issue I have seen is the one mentioned earlier in the thread where remaining time is not figured correctly for SPDIF.

Yeah it seems that all of the problems reported with 1.3.3 are either intermittant or affect different people, er differently.

Good news (I think it's good) is that word is that the next release goes up tonight so look for it this weekend.

Have a good weekend.

J.T.

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
OK Now it's charging. This thing can't hold enough charge to turn on for appx. one month?

I'm thinking of buying one of these toys, so I'm reading my way through all 25 pages of posts. . . . . very early on someone said that support says that putting the "hold" switch on slowly drains the battery. Could that be the situation here?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2006, 03:37:38 PM »
i never use the hold switch and mine still drains.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »
very early on someone said that support says that putting the "hold" switch on slowly drains the battery. Could that be the situation here?

IMHO, from a logic perspective, that makes no sense.  That would imply M-Audio engineers programmed something that would drain the power, no?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2006, 01:45:36 PM »
very early on someone said that support says that putting the "hold" switch on slowly drains the battery. Could that be the situation here?

IMHO, from a logic perspective, that makes no sense.  That would imply M-Audio engineers programmed something that would drain the power, no?

There will always be some draw from devices that get turned on by 'button' actuation instead of a power slide/toggle type switch.  Usually the power draw when 'off' is very, very small like a watch's operating power measured in microamperes, but 'power off' power draw in digital decks is usually greater than found in electric watches for the most part. 

All batteries have their own internal leakage that eventually drains down the battery's capacity after some period of time. 

Rechargeable batteries have way higher 'self-leakage' than non-rechargeable or disposable types.  Usually lithium batteries, like that used in the Microtrack, have lower self-leakage than NiCAD/NiMH types, but there are several types of lithium chemistries, and each lithium manufacturer produces versions of these batteries that may be better or not with self leakage issues.  The lithium batteries are made in China at lowest possible cost.  Also consider the lithium batteries found inside the Microtrack are NOT individually pre-tested for capacity or self discharge quality, and this may be the main cause of why some decks lose power quickly sitting on the shelf in the 'off' mode.

Also, there may be some variations in the Microtrack itself and might have a wider range of 'off' power draw where the battery is drained faster with some, and less with others as the 'keep-active' (electronics that monitors the power button) may have variations in power consumption depending on the 'grade' of circuit components used in any particular run. 

Since quality control with Microtrack production (CHINA) seems in the same condition as the 'beta' firmware (too much is untested, spotty QC methods, and playing catch-up in after-the-fact found problems), variations and potential issues are not accounted for and further adds to the deck's 'not-designed-in' shortcommings. 

The Microtrack may have been a good design when it left the USA, but (in China) implementation of circuit board design, and production quality control seems to suck way too much at this point. 

So, expect the battery to slowly or quickly drain when in 'off' depending on all these factors. 

Also good to remember that the deck will NEVER turn off the constant 1/4 ampere power draw when USB power is being applied, even when the deck is 'powered-OFF' and the internal battery fully charged up, and even with the display going blank.  Power will continue to be drained at high 'recording operation rates' from whatever USB powering source is connected to this deck.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com