Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)  (Read 107658 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
Just for the record:

It took Fostex 12 months to officially release the thing ........after we heard about (April 8, 2006).    :o  All I can say is, it better be worth a damn.   ::)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,62698.0.html

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »
Anyone have one of these yet?

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »
no Dan, but i'm thisclose to saying what the heck and just buying one.  gotta blaze a trail once in a while, you know?  :P

oh yeah, and a happy birthday to ya too! 

+t

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
no Dan, but i'm thisclose to saying what the heck and just buying one.  gotta blaze a trail once in a while, you know?  :P

oh yeah, and a happy birthday to ya too! 

+t

Thanks keef!!!  Backatcha!    ;D  Now get out there and buy one these puppies!  Before I do.......   >:D 

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2007, 12:52:31 AM »
A guy out here at Skywalker Sound apparently bought one and has said that the pre's are sweet.  He said that the build is really solid as well.  That's all I've been able to find out so far.  Also the Musician's Friend price is apparently below what they are supposed to be selling it for, so that's probably the lowest price you'll find and I bet it'll be gone soon.

*edit* ummm, looks like I just bought one from MF!!!  Sort of an impulse buy...looking forward to playing with it!

So does anyone actually own one of these yet?  I'm curious to hear some first impressions.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:56:56 AM by Jmos »

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Not sure if someone posted this, but the manual is now available to download

http://www.fostex.com/support/pdf/fostex/fr2le/fr2le_owners_manual.pdf

I sure like the ideal the Tamiya battery connector.
Retired Taper

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »
Just looked through the manual, this thing looks like a nice box.  Wonder if the pres can handle amplified music without a mod?  Jmos, thanks for taking the plunge, very curious to hear some samples  :headphones:  Let's hope Doug can work his magic on this...

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »
Just looked through the manual, this thing looks like a nice box.  Wonder if the pres can handle amplified music without a mod?  Jmos, thanks for taking the plunge, very curious to hear some samples  :headphones:  Let's hope Doug can work his magic on this...

I'll post some samples once I have it and can do some tests.  The guy at Skywalker Sound that I mentioned is loving the pre's, and using it with no other gear in front...he records a variety of things, but probably never PA recording.

I won't be out at any shows any time soon, but I can crank up the system at the theatre I work at and record some room samples.

Hopefully this week!
 ;D

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
I sent Doug an e-mail and he did comfirm that he will be doing ACM and T mods on these units
Retired Taper

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »
I sent Doug an e-mail and he did comfirm that he will be doing ACM and T mods on these units

That's great news! I wonder how much cheaper than the ACM 671 these will be... hmmm....

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »
sweetness, can't wait:

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/FR-2LE_upgrades.html 

I think this will be my new toy paired with some full-sized DPA cardioids.  For the price it looks tough to beat for analog all-in-one.  Reading through the manual (pages 59 & 105) there does seem to be one quirk regarding the maximum file size, which is user-selectable at either 2 or 4 gigs: 

<Note>: During recording, the recorder automatically quits recording and stops if the
file size reaches the maximum file size. Note that if you use a memory card whose size is
less than the maximum file size, the recorder stops recording at the point when there is
no more recording space left.

It says nothing of auto-splitting a new seamless track once the max size is reached and there is still memory on the card. Hopefully this can be fixed with firmware...

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
"my 671 will make a seamless transition to another file after making a 4b one and i'm betting the fr2le will also since the original fr2 did."

Unfortunately, the FR-2LE just saves the file and stops when the 4GB limit is reached.  Recording at 16/48, 4GB holds a track that is 6 hours long.

One point that bears repeating is that the FR-2LE saves the recording every 60 seconds.  That is, the file system updates the pointers to where the recording is stored on the Compactflash card.   

The value of this comes when the recorder accidentally stops without properly saving the file.   This happens most often when the battery is exhausted, or the cable to an external battery is accidentally pulled out.  Under these circumstances, most recorders will lose the entire recording.  The FR-2LE will lose the last 60 seconds, but the recording before this point will be intact.

Flintstone

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2007, 02:36:11 AM »
My FR-2LE has arrived and I will be doing some sample tracks soon!

First impressions are that it is a solid little box.  I like the feel of it.  Not sure how I feel about getting it mod'ed...

Offline snoknight

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
run it hot and heavy bro. im uppin for mine soon, if it can phantom and pre without smokin.
needs to buy a goat...

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »

The value of this comes when the recorder accidentally stops without properly saving the file.   This happens most often when the battery is exhausted, or the cable to an external battery is accidentally pulled out.  Under these circumstances, most recorders will lose the entire recording.  The FR-2LE will lose the last 60 seconds, but the recording before this point will be intact.

Flintstone

The Tascam HD-P2 can do that too.  I ran out of juice once at a show, before it powered down, the P2 saved the entire track.  Nothing new there.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com