Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)  (Read 101999 times)

Offline corsair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta...but optical's committed. Woot!!!)
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »
I guess there is battery variation involved... Mine can only do 6 hrs with the stock.

If anyone cares, I just finished a spdif recording battery test.  I was sending an optical signal from my h140 to my h120 w/ a 2200mAh battery.

It died just after 13.5hrs.

This is a low-ball figure, as the clip light was enabled and triggered far more than it would in the field.

This should mean that the stock 1300mAh battery would get at least 8hrs spdif recording.
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2006, 07:48:12 AM »
I guess there is battery variation involved... Mine can only do 6 hrs with the stock.

Has your battery seen a bit of use?
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2006, 08:45:37 AM »
If anyone cares, I just finished a spdif recording battery test.  I was sending an optical signal from my h140 to my h120 w/ a 2200mAh battery.

It died just after 13.5hrs.

This is a low-ball figure, as the clip light was enabled and triggered far more than it would in the field.

This should mean that the stock 1300mAh battery would get at least 8hrs spdif recording.

Great news!  I need to upgrade to a 2200mAh battery, but even at say 6 hours, that is a whole evening of recording.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2006, 10:07:11 AM »
Quite abit.. but the unit is not with me now... Got a buddy running some tests for me. :)

Has your battery seen a bit of use?
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2006, 11:27:11 AM »
Why the sad face corsair?
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2006, 06:37:27 PM »
I have my iriver set to record Line In and under the Record Settings>Frequency, there *is* the option of recording @ 48 KHz.
so what is the issue with recording analog in @ 48 kHz? just curious.

The option might be there in your build, but it doesn't actually work on the iriver h1xx (I *think* it was a remnant from the archos code).  So the option has been removed as of yesterday.

Interesting piece of info from preglow posted last night:
20 bits will be max bit depth, and no, 48kHz is not possible (except for S/PDIF) thanks to hardware limitatations. Some of the following might be possible: 11025, 22050 and 88200.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2006, 07:28:27 PM »
I read that too.  That sounds weird. 88.2k but not 48k?  I will be on the lookout for updates on such developments. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2006, 05:40:24 PM »
Just wanted to ask you guys if this player: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-40GB-iRiver-H140-MP3-PLAYER-MP3-RECORD-FM-JUKEBOX_W0QQitemZ9726935792QQcategoryZ48683QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem is okay, before i go out and buy it.

Does that look okay?

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2006, 05:43:34 PM »
Just wanted to ask you guys if this player: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-40GB-iRiver-H140-MP3-PLAYER-MP3-RECORD-FM-JUKEBOX_W0QQitemZ9726935792QQcategoryZ48683QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem is okay, before i go out and buy it.

Does that look okay?

looks good to me. US price would be around $200+... not sure how much that converts too.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2006, 04:39:55 AM »
Is the only suitable iriver player the h1xx series? Does anyone know if the newer H340 ones have line in are capable of recording effectively?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iRIVER-H340-40GB-Colour-MP3-Player-FM-Radio-Mint_W0QQitemZ9725149739QQcategoryZ48683QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2006, 05:14:05 AM »

Interesting piece of info from preglow posted last night:
20 bits will be max bit depth, and no, 48kHz is not possible (except for S/PDIF) thanks to hardware limitatations. Some of the following might be possible: 11025, 22050 and 88200.
Why no 48K but maybe 88200?
Strange but interesting.

Offline MarkF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2006, 05:47:22 PM »

Does that look okay?

I purchased a H120 from them (emilyandlily) last year with no problems.
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

Offline FINCHY

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.jbtlive.com
    • JBT Live
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
Is the only suitable iriver player the h1xx series? Does anyone know if the newer H340 ones have line in are capable of recording effectively?
Most definitely Yes! :)
When recording was first added to the H300 Rockbox firmware last Dec I taped a bunch of JBT shows & they all came out perfectly! :) My best recordings yet!
Check out the lossless version of this show:
http://www.archive.org/details/jbt2005-12-21.flac

Ignore the wierd formatting, LMA seems to have been doing som updating which has effected the code I used for the layout, I will fix that later.

H300 is the BEST portable & stealthy Line-In WAV recorder available!! (imo) & Even better when used with H100 remote ;)

You got 15 sec pre record, customizable screen colors which allows you to have a very low brightness screen, adjustable levels on the fly, approx 3 hrs per file & seemless recording between files. It is very sturdy & handles bumps & knocks very well without any defects. Dual boot mode is very handy! Um yeh, duno what else to say, it is bloody awesome! If you don't need optical recording then go for H300 - it is killer! :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:43:11 PM by FINCHY »
CSC > iRiver H340 (w/ Rockbox)

Offline FINCHY

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.jbtlive.com
    • JBT Live
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 09:42:02 PM »
This is for: whataboutbob
After being asked to comment on iRiver H3x0 use in the field, here is a couple posts I posted back at the time when I did my first recordings on my H340 (w/ Rockbox). They cover just about anything I could say about it, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions if you have any. Cheers & good on you for compiling all this info on iRiver's for recording! Nice work! :)

but as far i can see the ihp 1xx serie is still the best DAP ever made.

Can't argue with you there ;)

But for me I don't need digital input so the H300 serves my needs perfectly (now)! & I couldn't be more happier :D  Maybe if I was doing regular soundboard patches it might be worth looking at a digital source... but with live stealth AUD taping, analog input is fine since the quality is never 100% perfect anyway.

The most important thing for me is having minimal gear to carry in to the show, & not changing discs!! All I need now is the iRiver & the mics... & that's it :D & knowing that I'm never going to need to start a new recording half way thru the show is 1 less thing to worry about & such a relief. It's great, I can wear the mics & iRiver & forget about taping till the end of the show, & being a HDD recorder it handles a lot of soft bumps so I can even boogie & move around a little with without fear of defects & skips etc. Compared to my last rig this like comlete freedom & so much less stress.

As far as the RB interface goes, its simple & accurate & functional... what else do ya need :) The level meters are great!, I haven't seen such a large levels display on a portable WAV recorder.

Every taper has their own preferences & requirements & techniques etc... but for me: iRiver H340 w/ Rockbox is the answer to all my prayers :D & as I said: I couldn't be happier! Thank you Rockbox!!! :D

I'm not sure if everyone here understands or not, but I think the main point is that the iRiver H300 series has never been able to record in WAV format! (up until last month's Rockbox release). H100's have always had WAV Rec support so that's nothing special... But for the H300 this is a huge step up making it one of the best overall choices for live taping!

Apart from the lack of digital input I believe the H300's are much better than the H100's... as an overall unit you can't beat: color screen, photos, video, usbotg, & an almost endless potential with Rockbox plugins. & although the H300's are slightly thicker, they are also shorter (in height) which helps when carrying it in your pocket or jacket. (& also no annoying & obtrusive joystick).

Btw, nope I don't work for iRiver, & I don't care about the brand names, I just care about functionality & features :) Anyway in regards to the original subject: H100's have always been the best choice, but now the H300's are an even better choice (when no digital input is required).
CSC > iRiver H340 (w/ Rockbox)

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2006, 09:53:56 PM »
Finchy, not gonna start a shoot out between the H1xx and h3xx series but my overall feeling is that the H1xx beats the H3xx series hands down since it has the optical-in, it is THE choice for anyone seriously recording (outboard AD).  If you look at what used units go for, I think you will agree.  I have already noticed the used price point creeping up since preglow's SPDIF patch was committed. 

When you decide to upgrade your gear, you are stuck with your H3xx analog section and AD, the H1xx does not limit you to it's own AD, you just go and score a modSBM and start to enter a completey different world of field recording...the transistion is dramatic.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com