Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)  (Read 102829 times)

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
So according to your posts over at rockbox you've got the files in a 'Rockbox' subdirectory.  You need to move them to the root directory.

Plug your iriver in via USB to your computer.

Open Windows explorer.

Click on 'E:'.  Double-click on the 'Rockbox' directory.

With your mouse highlight both the .rockbox directory and rockbox.iriver file.

Right click on the highlighted files, click 'cut'.

Click 'back' so you should now be in the root directory of the drive.

Right click on some white space in the main window of windows explorer.

Click paste.

That will copy and paste the files up one directory.  That's where they need to be.

thanks Bob!!! +T for sure. i'm up and running 8) what a great little box!!!
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Wondering if someone could educate me on the AGC function.

Currently, with my m1 (DAT) recorder, the recording level is adjusted with a dial. It is my understanding that this dial acts as an attenuator, and does not add or take away gain.  I run it line-in, and the mic pre never comes into play.  I have to use line transformers to add gain before going into the recorder in order to get good levels.

With the H1XX series recorder (with Rockbox; line-in), the recording level is adjusted via the AGC.  This feature actually adds gain, therefore, you are utilizing the unit's mic pre.  Correct?  If the AGC setting is on zero and the levels are good, then you are not utilizing the unit's mic pre.  Correct?  If the AGC setting is below zero (negative), is the mic pre being utilized or is the unit just attenuating the signal?
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Gain control shouldn't be confused with AGC (Automatic Gain Control).

AGC is basically hands-free controlling of levels (controlled by pre-selected variables) which is still just a rockbox patch (ie it hasn't been committed to CVS).

Basically, yes, the iriver's pre is used to add gain. iirc the pre is not used if gain is set to zero.  I believe digital decimation is used for negative gain, but I'm not 100%.  Petur?
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Wondering if someone could educate me on the AGC function.

Currently, with my m1 (DAT) recorder, the recording level is adjusted with a dial. It is my understanding that this dial acts as an attenuator, and does not add or take away gain.
Line in can add 6 dB gain max?

I run it line-in, and the mic pre never comes into play.  I have to use line transformers to add gain before going into the recorder in order to get good levels.
Even my simple mics with FET need attenuation so what are you using?!
Or why?

I mean: the setup can be more optimal w.r.t. size, signal handling, etc.

Kind regards,
Udo

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
I use AT853 w/ 48v phantom power (they are the AT goosenecks that use the 853 capsules).  When running my pcm-m1, I have to use the transformers or my signal strength isn't hot enough.  Line-in impedance is 47KOhm on the m1.  To Clarify:  I only provide my mics with 48v.  I do not use a pre.  I use the A/D that's built into the recorder I use (this is the only drawback with me using the iRiver, IMO, because the iRiver's A/D isn't the same quality as the pcm-m1's A/D based on most opinions I've read).

Did some tests a little bit ago with the iRiver (using line transformers in the chain).  Had to boost up the AGC in order to get good levels, however, in a loud SPL environment I'm hoping to keep the AGC on 0db so the mic pre doesn't come into play (i.e. I don't want to utilize the pre due to quality concerns).

Only problem so far:  I was adjusting some settings while feeding the unit a signal (not recording) and it got stuck on a wav file that was in the root directory (acted like it was trying to play the file and just froze up).  The PC wouldn't recognize the drive when using the USB.  I hit the reset on the bottom of the unit and was able to power it back up without any problems.  Didn't lose any files either.  Very pleased with the iRiver w/ Rockbox so far, especially the meters!  Hope to try it out in the field tonight for the first time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 01:39:26 PM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
Didn't mean to be a thread killer  :-\
Didn't get to try out my new h140 the other night, BTW, hopefully soon.

Another question for the experts:
Does the iRiver only record digital in via optical? 
I've heard that there is a cable which carries spdif signals that is coax on one end and 3.5mm on the other.  If I fed the iRiver a digital signal (spdif) via the 3.5mm input would it work?

Edited to add:  For clarification, Rockbox firmware is being used.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 03:37:36 PM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline Rick

• My Recordings

Another question for the experts:
I've heard that there is a cable which carries spdif signals that is coax on one end and 3.5mm on the other.  If I fed the iRiver a digital signal (spdif) via the 3.5mm input would it work?

Yeah I remember something a while back about a spdif dongle, but it's got to be for another model or a different brand all together. iRiver doesn't list anything like that as an accessory

EDIT: I think your thinking of the Archos recorder. They had some wierd adaptor to do spdif in.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:43:25 PM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
Thanks for a reply, Rick.

This thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=66392.msg890906#msg890906
brought the thought to mind, BTW.

Can anyone confirm that the 3.5mm input on the iRiver only works via the line-in (analog) source setting?

Edited to add:  Here is the cable I was thinking of http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DCC-2
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:34:15 PM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Okay, I tried this and it didn't work, at least with what I used.  I just had a two coax > two ring adaptor, not a three ring.  I don't know if that will make a difference.  I verified the coax signal from my DVD player with my MT.  I was pretty sure even before the test that only optical had been addressed in the firmware and don't even think it was considered in the hardware when the iRiver was made.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:24:11 PM by rsimms3 »
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
warning: line-in on the fly gain change can cause a small (3-5 samples, 3dB) dip. Most probably unnoticed but know that changing gain on the fly comes at a small price.

more info: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=4834.msg36599#msg36599

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
Basically, yes, the iriver's pre is used to add gain. iirc the pre is not used if gain is set to zero.  I believe digital decimation is used for negative gain, but I'm not 100%.  Petur?

Analog (pre-amp) and decimation are used together to give a smooth 0.5dB gain resolution, the decimator part is always as small as possible.
The decimator acts on the full (24bit I think) signal before it is downsampled to 16bit, so quality-wise you shouldn't be worried too much I think.

The only thing that's not clear is how the negative gain can work unless the ADC is never used full scale - otherwise you'd just have a smaller but still clipped signal. Must check on that some time ;)

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member

digital recording is only via optical in, yes. line-in always goes via the ADC

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
Thanks, Petur.

[h140 w/ rockbox]
I recorded two tracks recently (set 1 & 2).  Set 2 copied to the harddrive on my pc with no problems. 
Set 1 keeps getting a 'data error (cyclic redundancy check)' and will not transfer.  Any suggestions?
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Try running chkdsk /f on the iRiver from the PC
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
I've heard that there is a cable which carries spdif signals that is coax on one end and 3.5mm on the other.
Here is the cable I was thinking of http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DCC-2

The cable in question is a coax cable through and through, it just has an RCA connector on one side and a mini connector on the other.  It does not transmit an optical signal, and so one cannot use it to feed a coax S/PDIF signal from an ADC to the optical S/PDIF input of the recorder.  If you want to output a coax S/PDIF signal from your ADC and feed it to the recorder's optical S/PDIF input, you need a digital format converter (DFC) like the Hosa ODL-276.  It converts coax S/PDIF signals to optical S/PDIF signals, and vice versa.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.321 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com