Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)  (Read 102786 times)

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: iriver H1xx Tapers FAQ (beta)
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2006, 10:58:13 PM »
Guys:

I'm having trouble with getting rockbox to run, so I was hoping to cross-pollinate with my thread over at rockbox to get some help:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=5020.0

Short version:  boot problem with rockbox.  But they tell me that with a boot Result:  0 means that it's successful, but that's as far as it goes. 

If anyone has had similar problems please help.  I've got my "rig" such as it is on the way, but it won't do any good if I can't make this work by Wednesday.

Thanks,

Zeke
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2006, 11:19:46 PM »
Zeke,

I see you're from Santa Cruz (I'm in Felton) so I'll try to help you out.

One option would be to try another build of Rockbox rather than the latest daily build.  Here's an old one, but one I know works for me:

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/rockbox-h120-20060327.zip

If you're still stuck, unfortunately I can't loan you my own iRiver (I need it for a show on Friday) but if you want to use my Gemini iKey, you're welcome to borrow it if you can make it up to the UCSC campus to pick it up.  You'll need to provide your own USB thumb drive or hard drive, although the iRiver could probably serve that purpose if it still won't boot into Rockbox.  I'll PM you with my cell # if you want to arrange that.  I also have an Archos Jukebox recorder you can borrow if you want, it runs Rockbox so you'll learn the Rockbox interface, but it is limitied to mp3 recording (at 192 kbps).  It's a handly all-in-one box like the iRiver though, easy to use, and it takes AA batteries so no problem making it through a festival.

You can also record using the iRiver firmware if you need to, you'll need to manually restart recording every 70 min or so, may get a few clicks, and settling levels is a pain, but it can be done.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
ihp120 + cell phone charger = bad
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »

See...I'm not making shit up. Be warned people.  Its an easy mistake to make.  Label your chargers clearly.  I just got a post-it note and taped it near the plug.

+t for the bad luck mate.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:11:20 AM by whatboutbob »
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »

See...I'm not making shit up. Be warned people.  Its an easy mistake to make.  Label your chargers clearly.  I just got a post-it note and taped it near the plug.

well, i, for one, won't make that mistake a second time.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2006, 12:48:17 PM »
Anyone here tested the H1xx for bit accuracy on either stock or Rockbox firmware?  If so, using what methodology, hardware, software tools, etc.?  Just trying to nail down whether its bit accuracy is truly confirmed, or just assumed.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »

I destroyed my cell phone by accidentally plugging in the iRiver charger.  Frankly, I'm glad I learned by destroying my phone (bottom of the line Nokia) rather than my iRiver.  I was actually aware of the risk, I just thought I was using the right charger.  Now only one charger goes in the wall outlet at a time, and only when I'm charging the specific device.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2006, 02:50:12 PM »
Anyone here tested the H1xx for bit accuracy on either stock or Rockbox firmware?  If so, using what methodology, hardware, software tools, etc.?  Just trying to nail down whether its bit accuracy is truly confirmed, or just assumed.

I've done some tests for bit accuracy, check the iRiver threads, I posted about it somewhere.  Can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I know I tested at 16/44k and 16/88.2k, not sure if I tested 16/48.  Recorded I think about 5 minutes or so at each sampling frequency using my mics>V3 and then simultaneously to both my MT and my H140 using Rockbox.  Trimmed and lined up the files as appropriate, inverted the MT track, and added together with the H140 track.  Got a straight line at 0dbFS, no samples out of place.

I never did a long test, like 2 or 3 hours, but for my short test, the iRiver with rockbox is confirmed to be bit accurate.  I suppose it might be worthwhile doing a long enough test to insure the iRiver remains bit accurate even during disk drive writes, but at least the hardware and firmware is set up for bit accuracy.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2006, 07:30:11 PM »
If you tested for 5 minutes that included a disk write as there's a write about every 3.5 minutes (for 44/16, higher rates even shorter)

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2006, 07:58:24 PM »

I've confirmed bit accuracy at 16/44.1 for an hour.  I fed a sine wave from my puter, then filtered the resultant wav at the sine frequency. Using this method in iriver f/w clearly shows regular glitches. Its fine in rockbox.  I also tested similar to Todd R, but using a sine wav, trimmed, inverted and added with the same positive results.

For giggles I tried feeding it a 24/96 signal from my ua-5 the other night.  I haven't had a look at the results yet but there was lots of clicking throughout the recording and it was saved at 16/96.  It mustn' dither(?) from 24 > 16 properly.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »

Sorry to hear about that mistake, rokpunk. This is the main reason why I mainly charge up my iriver using the custom USB cable now that I made... since I don't have any other items coming from my USB port with a DC plug, there's no mistake that can be made.

+T for your troubles.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »
If you tested for 5 minutes that included a disk write as there's a write about every 3.5 minutes (for 44/16, higher rates even shorter)

Cool, Petur, thanks.  Somehow I thought I read that disk writes were on the order of 8-10 minutes.  I looked up my test files -- looks like they were in the 6-8 minute range.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2006, 01:12:03 AM »
Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of a HiMD vs h1x0?  I'd be interested to see how the ADCs and pre's compare.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2006, 01:33:43 AM »

Cool, Petur, thanks.  Somehow I thought I read that disk writes were on the order of 8-10 minutes.  I looked up my test files -- looks like they were in the 6-8 minute range.

Todd, they are about 2:50 if you are recording at 16/44.1.  The peak meter will stop registering for 9-12 seconds while the RAM is being flushed of its contents to the disk (it is 32MB of RAM and I bet almost 29MB is free for the buffer).

WAB, I want to do a side by side of the modSBM, M1's and the H120's A/D using a signal from my CD player.  Normalize the same passage of music and then have them for hosting (Brian S, up for it?).  Can anyone think of a short passage that will work for a comparison (no more than 30-40 sec)?  I was thinking of a bit of 'Soundchaser' from Yes' Relayer.

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #194 on: July 04, 2006, 10:45:41 PM »
Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of a HiMD vs h1x0?  I'd be interested to see how the ADCs and pre's compare.

These last days I was busy asking many questions at the misticriver and minidisc forums to find out which would makes better quality recordings, the irver H120 or a HiMD. From what I found out I believe that the HiMDs do slightly superior, specially becasue less noise recordings because of better preamp and ADC than the iriver.
There are so many other reasons why I like the H120 better than an HiMD recorder though and it would serve my needs better.

If I understand correctly one can pass at least the preamp ( not the ADC ?? ) if using the optical in which now is working on Rockbox ( please correct me if this is wrong ) which than would allow for a recording quality comparable to the HiMDs.

Therefore please if anybody could explain to me:

How to use the optical in, specially if I want to record with an external mic?
Do I need a preamp?

Or even more concrete: Wwat will I need to get best result using my AT822 mic to the optical in of the iriver H120?

thank's for any advice
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com