Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 104957 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2006, 04:52:31 AM »
I use some plastic from garbage can bags. Blackish yet slightly transparant. Two layers.

Cool, I happen to have that kind too! How did you affix it to the deck?
I use simple transparent adhesive tape (sellotape or whatever), vertically (i.e.: along the sides).
I cut the plastic off the bag at the side; so I have one edge where the two layers connect and alignment is made easier this way.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2006, 07:57:34 AM »
Man, the battery door on this thing SUCKS. I wouldn't want to have to do this in the dark while stealthing, that's for sure. And I'm definitely glad I got the 4GB card so that I don't have to change that.

Other than that, pretty sweet. I'm thinking about getting some black construction paper and scotch taping it over the record button for each show. Should be flimsy enough to still operate and remove without residue after the show, yet opaque enough to be effective. Anyone else come up with a better idea?

Practice a bit. honestly, in about 3 minutes of practice I found it not a big deal.  Would I prefer a different opening, yes. But I actually like that all the ports are covered so they stay clean etc.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2006, 05:34:26 PM »
Man, the battery door on this thing SUCKS. I wouldn't want to have to do this in the dark while stealthing, that's for sure. And I'm definitely glad I got the 4GB card so that I don't have to change that.

Other than that, pretty sweet. I'm thinking about getting some black construction paper and scotch taping it over the record button for each show. Should be flimsy enough to still operate and remove without residue after the show, yet opaque enough to be effective. Anyone else come up with a better idea?

Practice a bit. honestly, in about 3 minutes of practice I found it not a big deal.  Would I prefer a different opening, yes. But I actually like that all the ports are covered so they stay clean etc.

I found rubbing the door's sliding tabs with wax paper (or use a small birthday candle) lubricates the sliding action to make the door work with less sticking and skewing.  Wax ONLY the tabs and nothing else.

BTW, found a SOLUTION to daylight viewing the R-09 screen with hard clam-shell case that provides both deck protection AND a viewing hood so the deck's display is readable in full sunlight.  I'll post more picts and further description on the site's updated R-09 review soon at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 05:36:41 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »
Ok... i thought this was a stupid enough solutiion not to post but I also wiped the edges with candle wax and it is now much easier to use. T+
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2006, 10:41:34 AM »
lots of activity here since I last posted about a week ago !!   ;D

Thought I'd chime in after using my R-09 for the first time in the field, and to kinda reply to my own posting. Lately "user-error" seems to be finding me more often than I'd care, but not the other night.

Recorded a rock show in a club, stealth mode. Setup was as follows -->
Core Sound Cards > CS BB > SP-PREAMP > R-09

The SP-PREAMP had the gain switch set at +29db, with the knob turned to about the 3/4's on the pre, so not all the way turned up. Went Line In on the R-09, and with the level controls on the R-09 set at "10". Resulting recording left little to do in post. After using a JB3 for about a year, it's nice to do not as much in post for once.

You can add me to the list of ppl wanting to do something to cover up the red "recording light"  (geez, "can you turn that thing down?"). I tried to cover it up with blue "painting tape". It worked to dim that light a bit, but eventually took it off mid show. Right now I have a really small square of duct tape covering up the actual red led on the circuit board of the R-09 (yes, actually opened this thing up). It's helped to "dim" the brightness of that red led, but not more than about 50% or so.

Agreed, the door thing on the bottom of the R-09 isn't ideal. And to switch out the SD card (or batteries) in stealth mode "mid show" is going to take some practice, so not looking forward to that (4 gig purchase I can see on the horizon for me).

The unity/gain topics being posted here is definitely very nice information to read up on! However, I know very little in that to comment on "where" unity is on the R-09.

Overall, I really like the R-09, the ease of use is a key factor in this unit, kudos to Rolland/Edirol for making a product like this !!

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »
I don't know, I'm still confused on the deck gain issue. Sonic Studios themselves recommend about 15ish on the deck gain as a starting point, however their preamp (which is what I use) has settings of +24dB, +34dB, and +44dB. I would think there's no way I'd NEED to set the deck as high as 15 if I have the preamp set to the +44dB setting (based on prior experience with a NJB-3, I'm usually at +24dB or +34dB). However, I'm concerned about the attenuation/brickwalling situation.

While I'm already sure that the noise on the internal preamp is far better than on the NJB-3, my goal is to have an ideal mix of noise and dynamic range, though I can sacrifice the former a bit by running the deck at the "1" setting if I record in 24-bit - IF that will give me enough dynamic range. Are settings below 8 (or some other number) going to digitally attenuate the recording, or has that been disproven and even 1 has a little gain and 0 is the only attenuated setting (as others have shown)?

Is there any tests anyone would like me to try when I tape tomorrow night? If any of the three bands suck I'm going to start playing with settings most likely :) I do not have any "sophisticated" equipment (other than my mics, preamp, deck, and Adobe Audition on my high-powered PC).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:22:17 AM by twoheadedboy »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2006, 11:41:15 AM »
You can add me to the list of ppl wanting to do something to cover up the red "recording light"

I just put a small square of permacel gaffer tape over it and leave enough slack that I can still operate the buttons just fine.

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »
Went to some local show tonight, and here's what I came up with:

http://media.putfile.com/first-time-in-print

-90hz bass roll-off, +24dB on the preamp, 15 or so on the R-09. About 35 feet back, slightly right of center.

http://media.putfile.com/karate-high-school

-90hz bass roll-off, +14dB on the preamp, 8 or so on the R-09. About 20 feet back, dead center.

Rig: DSM-6S/EL (head-worn) > PA-24NJ > Edirol R-09 (24-bit, 44.1khz setting)

Venue info - essentially a cave. 30 ft aluminum ceilings, cement floors and walls. Only about 30 people in attendance, place could easily hold 250 if not 300. Terrible sound mix (try to hear the guitars in either when everything's going, or the keyboard in the second one...yeah, wasn't any better when I was there).

Editing: Adobe Audition 1.5 (Waves Diamond Bundle L2 Maximizer plugin; limit at -1dB, 5dB gain), converted to 16-bit using triangular dithering (0.7 bit dither depth).

Encoded the mp3's using LAME 3.97 beta 2 with RazorLame frontend, settings as follows: -V2 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7
---------------
Summary: I am impressed at how low-noise this setup is. You can really hear it at the beginning of each track, eerily quiet.

Assuming I have internet access at my sister's, I'll report back Saturday with the results of Built to Spill night 1 and Sunday with night 2. Torrents to follow Monday night.

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »
I don't understand the basis for questioning the gain/attenuation of the R-09.  How can you say what is gain and what is attenuation when there is only one level available to measure.... the input?  To measure gain you need to compare the input of a stage or device to its output. 

With the R-09, all you can determine is what input voltage produces what record level at a given input setting.  There is no such thing as attenuation, zero gain or gain. 
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline Liquidsky

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »
Hi

I am newbie with that Edirol R-09, Great recorder!

I experienced the same disapointment , and was ready to delete the files...
... So Many thanks for the CD Wave tips    8)  It worked fine !!

SonyECM719 Or Mini Cardio-MMHLSC-1 Or MM-Binaural-BSM9> MM-Mint Battery Box Or Soundman BBox ( Line Input ) > Sony HIMD-mzrh10 (PCM) Or Edirol R-09 16/44

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com