Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver H120 optical-in problems....  (Read 2506 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
iRiver H120 optical-in problems....
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:36:14 PM »
I can't seem to figure out what's going wrong. I'm running UA-5 > optical-out/in > iRiver. I make sure the iRiver is set to digital input. Everytime I plug in the optical cable, my iRiver freezes up and I get no digital signal whatsoever. The only way for me to clear the screen is to hold in the reset button, then restart the iRiver. I've downloaded the latest firmware from rockbox.org and have had no issues recording analog-in through the same input. I'm definitely getting an optical signal from the UA-5 (the red laser light is on) and have tried sending signal first, then plugging it into the iRiver.... and have tried plugging in the optical cable first, then sending signal. Nothing I do keeps it from freezing up or passes the signal. Has anyone experienced similar issues? :-\
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: iRiver H120 optical-in problems....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »
I know absolutely nothing about this, but have you tried sending 16-bit vs. 24-bit at diff sample rates?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Diamond_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 10:19:54 AM »
are you plugging in the optical cable after you're on the recording screen of the 120? I thought I remember reading that this "bug" was fixed, but try plugging in the optical cable and sending a signal, then turning on the 120 and heading toward the recording screen, if you haven't done that already.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »
Hrmm...sounds like an odd one.  edit: actually...maybe not so odd.  I just remebered that during initial testing for rockbox optical recording there were a few punters who had issues with freezing in the recording screen.  Invariably it was due to a dodgy optical cable not sending a correct signal, so rocbox can't pickup a sample-rate so it kinda freaks out.  Do you have any other cables you can test with? /edit

If its definitely not that then.....:

Try what Diamond_D suggested.  Like he said tho, that should be fixed.

Am I reading it right that the iriver freezes as soon as you plug in the optical cable...irrespective of what screen you're on?  Does it freeze immediately? Or does it just freeze when you go into the recording screen?

Again, this probably won't work but you might like to try resetting your iriver settings (A-B button > Manage Settings > reset settings)

Once you've done that, and if its still an issue, just for giggles also try enabling optical out (A-B > General Settings > Playback > Optical Output).  Optical out needs to be enabled for optical in to work...but it should be auto-enabled when you enter the recording screen.

Have you got any gear to do isolation tests with? ie can you run UA-5 > optical > computer or jb3? 

What happens when you try running the rig with the iriver f/w? (hold record when you press play to start the iriver)

Are you sending a 44.1/16 signal from the UA-5? (again...most variations shouldn't be a prob)

If all else fails, you could perhaps try jumping onto the rockbox irc channel (available via their website) and asking amiconn or preglow if they have any ideas.  They did much of the work on getting optical recording up and running.

I really hope you don't have a buggered iriver, but quite a few people are running this rig fine (including myself) so its not likely that its rockbox related.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:39:16 PM by whatboutbob »
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:55:08 PM »
just for giggles also try enabling optical out (A-B > General Settings > Playback > Optical Output).  Optical out needs to be enabled for optical in to work...but it should be auto-enabled when you enter the recording screen.

problem solved!! :D thanks for the tip... this is a great unit. I did 7 festival sets last weekend and still had 1/3 of my HD space left. :D +T's around.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 01:42:01 PM »
Optical out is automatically enabled when Optcial In is is selected as the input source in new builds.  Try a different build and see if it works automatically.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 04:18:56 PM »
Optical out is automatically enabled when Optcial In is is selected as the input source in new builds.  Try a different build and see if it works automatically.

Yeah, I was wondering what build he was using.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering what build he was using.

unless I'm doing something totally wrong, I am using a current build. 7/31 is the one I have now. maybe that made the difference? either way.... I'm a much happier camper now. :D more +T's around.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com