Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?  (Read 13411 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:35:55 AM »
So, I bought a Microtrack when it first came out, used it 20-30 times, and LOVED it, then sold it as I went to the R4.  Had no problems, no explosions...nothing.  BUT...it seems that at least a portion of the units are not providing the same experience.

I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive recording unit for days when I don't need the big R4, and am thinking about the MT again, but don't want the instabilities.  I need the digital in, so for the price I'm looking to pay, it's either MT or back to DAT.  R1/R9 don't have digit in, PM660 is a little more than I want to pay and doesn't have digi-in.

Any opinions?
Socks are overrated.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:49:07 AM »
I don't have a microtrack anymore but my unit as a bit bucket was very stable with all firmware revisions.  The only issue I had is when my pre ran out of juice and stopped sending a digital signal, the MT would freeze. I made probably 20 recordings with it without any other problems.  That being said the split that is not seamless really bothered me.  It made 24/96 pretty much impossibile and I ran out of time at 24/48 a few times.  I could be wrong but from what I have heard the MT does not have the power to do seamless splits so  another firmware probably won't fix this.... I decided to sell my MT while there was still interest and downgrade to an iRiver.  Got a 120 for less than $100 and once rockboxed I'm very happy with the iRiver as a small/stealth unit until the next best 24bit digital recorder comes out.  It's not 24bit but is a good alternative until the next best thing comes out.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 08:41:21 AM »
Used mine for the first time last night with the latest firmware revision and it operated fine.  No complaints to speak of, except for the metering on it, which sucks balls.  It is near impossible to set levels using the MiniMe and the MT like I have.  Just aim and hope that you are close.  It also feels like a cheap piece of crap, but as long as music hits my ears after I use it, it is fine.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline anhisr

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 09:01:05 AM »
I use it as a bit bucket and have had no problems. ;D
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline bubbybooshay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 01:06:36 PM »
i havent had any problems with mine
mk41, c4's > nbox, Lunatec V3 > mt24/96, hdp2, sd722

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »
Thanks folks.  Any continued opinions are welcome, especially on the new firmware. 

fwiw, i'm not interested in the iriver.  Whatever smaller unit I get must have coax-in.
Socks are overrated.

J.T.L

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 05:37:08 PM »
I use it as a bit bucket and have had no problems. ;D

...same here. Used as a bit bucket for 16 and 24 bit either 44-48 since dec.2005 using all firmwares since 1.23(?) with only 2 header problems which were fixed with a click of a button.

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 06:47:24 PM »
Mine hasn't misbehaved once.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
Did they fix the 2GB issue(s) yet?
I mean the 2GB is not 2.000.000.000 bytes but 2*1024*1024*1024 bytes but also the 2GB seamless split `feature`.
How can one call a recorder '2496' when It cannot do seamless splits?  ???
At 24/96 the datarate is 562,5 KB/s.
2.000.000.000 bytes run out in less than one hour. (3472 seconds or just short of 58 minutes)
So you cannot seriously record a concert at 24/96 on the MT.
Yes, I have a MT and want these bugs to be fixed.

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:21:45 PM »
I mean the 2GB is not 2.000.000.000 bytes but 2*1024*1024*1024 bytes but also the 2GB seamless split `feature`.
2.000.000.000 bytes run out in less than one hour. (3472 seconds or just short of 58 minutes)

No to both questions. And on the split question, there's been some talk that it is the way it's going to be (meaning that it's not going to be changed from how it is due to technical or other limitations).

As for the "2496" statement, it's a MicroTrack 2496, not a "MicroTrack 2496 * 2 hour" or "2496 - concert recorder".  Yes I hear what you're sayng but I'm not buying that the name is misleading in any way.  It does record at 2496 (although when it first came up that was not such a sure thing to say)which is all the name infers.

J.T.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 06:27:58 PM »
You know, I've taped a few dozen shows with the MT since January and only had it fuck up on me once (and that may or may not have been my own fault).  I can't speak for the most recent batch (whether or not they're faulty, that is) but, as a device, the MT has treated me very well.

Offline buffalofloyd

• Taperssection Newbie
  • the quickness of the eye deceives the mind
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:42:35 PM »
I have loved the MT ever since I purchased it and have had no problems at all with my unit.  I do however have a problem with the battery life this thing provides.  Twice in a row now I have had my recordings end pre-maturely because of the battery.  I taped Robert Randolph and Gov't Mule here in Buffalo the past week and both are incomplete.  I also recorded the Dave Gilmour shows up in Toronto and had the first night end about 30 seconds before the end of the show.  These were all recorded at 16/44.1 too and anything higher and I would have lost alot more of the gigs.  The battery life on this unit will provide just under 3 hrs. or recording time at 16/44.1.  I really only do stealth recordings and to carry along a large external power sled just doesn't appeal to me very much.  I don't know where to go from here except hope they come out with a new unit that takes throw away batteries.  Why even produce something with a internal battery?  Wouldn't it have been cheaper to produce something that took regular batteries?  I would love to hear any opinions on a possible soloution to this issue.  The unit works perfectly for what I need and use it for but the battery issue just sucks ass.

Cheers,
Jim
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:45:33 PM by buffalofloyd »
Core Sound Stealthy Cardoids > M-Audio Microtrack

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »
I have had my MT since April.  I love it, it had problems but ever since release 1.4.0 it has been rock solid.  Did me right at All Good and 10,000 Lakes.  If it can handle a festival (with backup power of course) then it can handle it fine IMO.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 10:01:15 AM »
Mine's been solid through all the firmwares.  Once you get the quirks down, it's a great unit!  I agree about the internal batt, but I don't stealth, so it's not as big an issue for me.  FWIW, you could always go pre>hosa>iriver...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

cmoorevt

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 10:15:43 AM »
Had mine since they first came out last fall.  I bought it because I wanted the digi input and wanted something stealthable.  With dat media becoming less available and the attraction of never having to transfer a tape at real time, this was a no-brainer for me. 

Haven't had one problem other than dumb stuff I've done(like forgetting to set the hold switch).  As others have noted, there are some quirks, but once you firgure them out everything is fine.  Learning to read the levels takes some time, but I've got it so I peak right around -2 almost every time out.  Stealthed with it several times and never had a problem.  I also would agree that the internal battery sucks, but I have one of the 4xAA USB battery packs and have never had any power issues. 

I heard back from M-Audio the other day who say that a seemless 2GB split will not happen nor will decibel numbers on the levels.  Not a huge issue for me because I'm not doing 24/xx and the manual new-file-start procedure works fine for me when I need it and as I mentioned above, I've got the levels down.

The only remaining significant issue for me is that the device does not pass signal to either the headphone output nor to the rca outputs when using the SPDIF input.  In their message to me, M-Audio claims that this was fixed on the most recent firmware upgrade but I just moved and all my gear is packed away and I cannot test it.  Can anyone else confirm that this is now working?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:19:10 AM by cmoorevt »

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 10:39:44 AM »
The only remaining significant issue for me is that the device does not pass signal to either the headphone output nor to the rca outputs when using the SPDIF input.  In their message to me, M-Audio claims that this was fixed on the most recent firmware upgrade but I just moved and all my gear is packed away and I cannot test it.  Can anyone else confirm that this is now working?

That tech must have been misinformed.  From everything I've heard and read, the S/PDIF won't monitor.  There were issues with analog monitoring that were broken and then fixed and the tech was probably confusing things about that.  I've got the latest beta running (b9) and it still doesn't monitor S/PDIF nor does the release note say that it should.  Be nice if it did but so far, no.

J.T.

cmoorevt

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »

That tech must have been misinformed.  From everything I've heard and read, the S/PDIF won't monitor.  There were issues with analog monitoring that were broken and then fixed and the tech was probably confusing things about that.  I've got the latest beta running (b9) and it still doesn't monitor S/PDIF nor does the release note say that it should.  Be nice if it did but so far, no.

J.T.

Thanks.  That is what I thought.  I have b9 as well and hadn't seen any mention of this feature being added until the tech told me.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 11:04:47 AM »

Very few company's use the correct numbers for capacity, and it ain't gonna be fixed.  This has already been discussed at length.  Neither will the seemless split be fixed, it ain't gonna happen, we all need to accept that, or move to a different recorder.  Just because it can only record less than an hour at 24/96  before it reaches the 2 gig limit does not negate the fact that it IS a 24bit.96khz recorder.  Not everyone who uses this unit is recording multi-hour concerts, there are other uses in which a little under an hour of 24/96 before a manual split would be perfectly acceptable.  You can indeed record a concert using 24/96 if you have a big enough CF card, just split the fiile at a convient time in between songs, done.  And if that's not acceptable for the situation, use another sample rate/bit depth.  Not trying to be a dick here, just kinda tired of people beating a dead horse on these issues.  (wipes forehead, pfew)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:10:20 AM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »
OK, so I am looking around again.For a new recorder.
Just A Sony M1 that eats CF cards instead of 4mm DAT tapes?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 02:35:14 PM »
Scooter -- thanks, I'm with you on that one.  The MT is what it is, and has limitations, but works well (for me at least) within those limitations.  So it doesn't have seamless auto split -- the R09 doesn't have a digital in, but you don't constantly hear how crappy the R09 is since they didn't see fit to include a digi-in.  We're starting to get a pretty big selection of portable 24 bit recorders, but none that meet everyone's needs (small, cheap, reliable, digi-in, whatever).

udovdh -- on that note, it depends what you want.  If you mean an M1 that isn't used with a digital input, maybe the R09 is what you want.

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit.  The issues folks seem to have pretty much relate to the MT as a 24bit recorder.

If you are wanting a 24bit version of the M1, well...that's another matter.  I don't think there is one yet IMO.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »
FWIW, I spent the weekend recording at an outdoor "Rib Festival", although it was so hot, most people didn't seem to cotton to my brand of "ribbing".

Anyway I digress...I recorded 7 shows over 3 days, and temps reached 101 degrees. Due to the stealth nature of the event, my knapsack was sealed and you could have cooked ribs on top of it off the heat. My backup JB3 quit two times from the heat in the worst of it, but the MT was flawless and while hot and humid, it did not flinch at the weather conditions, not a single problem.

Also, I have always found the meters pretty good after learning how to read them, but the blinking red lights were really a big help for setting levels, when glancing in my semi zipped steamy knapsack.

:veryevil:  <-----Small pic of my knapsack after the event
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline buffalofloyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 08:24:18 AM »
Had mine since they first came out last fall.  I bought it because I wanted the digi input and wanted something stealthable.  With dat media becoming less available and the attraction of never having to transfer a tape at real time, this was a no-brainer for me. 

Haven't had one problem other than dumb stuff I've done(like forgetting to set the hold switch).  As others have noted, there are some quirks, but once you firgure them out everything is fine.  Learning to read the levels takes some time, but I've got it so I peak right around -2 almost every time out.  Stealthed with it several times and never had a problem.  I also would agree that the internal battery sucks, but I have one of the 4xAA USB battery packs and have never had any power issues. 

I heard back from M-Audio the other day who say that a seemless 2GB split will not happen nor will decibel numbers on the levels.  Not a huge issue for me because I'm not doing 24/xx and the manual new-file-start procedure works fine for me when I need it and as I mentioned above, I've got the levels down.

could you possibly point me in the direction of the USB battery packs?  thanks

cmoorevt

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
I wish I could.  Somebody pm'd me about this yesterday and when I went to send him the link, I found that the packs I bought are apparently no longer being made.  I bought mine from the link provided in the first post on this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49161.0

Might be worth a call to see if they have any left in the warehouse.

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
I wish I could.  Somebody pm'd me about this yesterday and when I went to send him the link, I found that the packs I bought are apparently no longer being made.  I bought mine from the link provided in the first post on this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49161.0

Might be worth a call to see if they have any left in the warehouse.

There's several on ebay right now. Do a search for "usb battery pack". I've got one similar to these and it's worked out great for the MT.

Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »
the R09 doesn't have a digital in, but you don't constantly hear how crappy the R09 is since they didn't see fit to include a digi-in.

You don't 'constantly hear how crappy the r09 is' because it isn't crappy.

It is a very well engineered and executed product. You constantly hear how crappy the mt is because the level of engineering and execution are pathetic.

cmoorevt

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »
the R09 doesn't have a digital in, but you don't constantly hear how crappy the R09 is since they didn't see fit to include a digi-in.

You don't 'constantly hear how crappy the r09 is' because it isn't crappy.

It is a very well engineered and executed product. You constantly hear how crappy the mt is because the level of engineering and execution are pathetic.

:-*
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline potsy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 03:19:27 AM »
The battery life on this unit will provide just under 3 hrs. or recording time at 16/44.1.

FWIW, i get a little over 4 hours recording at 16/44.1.  Haven't had any problems with mine except for the levels when it first came out...fixed by firmware.
Sony D8 DAT, M-Audio Microtrack 2496 w/ 4GB Kingston Elite Pro 45x CF, Core-Sound Stealth Cardiods

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 05:21:25 AM »
udovdh -- on that note, it depends what you want.  If you mean an M1 that isn't used with a digital input, maybe the R09 is what you want.
Does the R09 do seamless autosplits? Does it have a nice line in? Usable level setting mechanism? Good SNR? Impedance?

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit. 
16-bit is OK. I need a decent line-in. I need seamless autosplit. I need true 2GB (2**31) if there is no autosplit.
Maybe a limiter. (the MT has one in the ADC but it isn't used!)
I am looking at the Iriver H120. R09 is wort a try?

Offline SunWizard

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
Does the R09 do seamless autosplits? Does it have a nice line in? Usable level setting mechanism? Good SNR? Impedance?
The R-09 doesn't do auto-split but it records a full 4 GB file so you don't need to split.  Line-in is decent.  Level setting is nice.  SNR is good.  Line-in impedance = 17k.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit. 
16-bit is OK. I need a decent line-in. I need seamless autosplit. I need true 2GB (2**31) if there is no autosplit.

I'm not really sure why a 2GB autosplit when running 16 bit is necessary. That's almost 3 and a half hours of record time. No band I've ever known plays that long without some type of break.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline slf

• Taperssection Newbie
USB Battery pack
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
I found a 4 AA USB battery pack for $15 plus $5 shipping at EBay by searching "USB Battery pack"

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »
Two things:
I've yet to hear of an r-09 exploding in a user's hand when being switched on...

I haven't seen him but does Elvis Costello transition between every song for 3+ hours? If so, I pity his drummer.  ;)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 05:49:50 AM »

I'm not really sure why a 2GB autosplit when running 16 bit is necessary. That's almost 3 and a half hours of record time. No band I've ever known plays that long without some type of break.

a) 2GB on the MT is NOT 2**31 bytes but 2.000.000.000 bytes
b) I do not want to touch the unit again, except for stopping and turning it off after the show.

So I still want the autosplit on the MT.

Even with true 2GB I would want autosplit when using more than 44.1/48 Khz or being at a long show.
I hate to do splits and depending on the situation can't do them when I want.
I want to archive to DVD in one piece.
I really need 4+ hours of recording time for an ideal situation.

So an autosplitting R09 with 4GB SD would be nice.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2006, 05:51:33 AM »
The R-09 doesn't do auto-split but it records a full 4 GB file so you don't need to split.  Line-in is decent.  Level setting is nice.  SNR is good.  Line-in impedance = 17k.
Good! Thanks very much for this interesting info.
No known bugs, issues, caveats?

BTW: a 4GB WAV? Other format?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:30 AM »
I haven't seen him but does Elvis Costello transition between every song for 3+ hours? If so, I pity his drummer.  ;)

His shows usually only go 3 hours when he has a guest. And then he really gives a good dose of his material and his guest's.  There are Long stretches (7 songs) where they go immediately into the next song with no real break. His guitar tech always seems ready to hand him a fresh guitar..  I remember it vividly because I Really needed to hit the bathroom and I had stupidly wrapped the mic cord around a belt loop. Unlooping meant unplugging..  I don't think it is typically more than 3 hours. But with pre-roll time it ends up that way. The jb3 never missed a beat..  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46990.0

Oblig r09 content: I just might get a v3 vs. r09 comp done today..  I finally have a cable made to run balnced pre output > 1/8".

Offline SunWizard

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
Good! Thanks very much for this interesting info.
No known bugs, issues, caveats?

BTW: a 4GB WAV? Other format?

No known issues, which is surprising since it just came out.  Its a standard WAV format.  Some WAV editors do not work with 4GB files but there are plenty that do.  One issue is that it won't format a 4GB card in the R-09, you need to do it while connected to your desktop, which is easy.  And there are not many 4GB cards available yet.  This will probably be changed in a future update when they add full 4GB support, probably to support the new SDHC cards which haven't come out yet but are supposed to replace the current SD format.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline EYES

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 03:04:08 PM »
microtrack has been very good to me small and easy to use.as for the battery problem,  i located a usb compact battery back up pact that is 4 inches by 4 inches in size and takes 4 aa batteries. this will give you at least 3 hrs. of good back up time. compact impact sales office, new york,ny. 212-677-0500.
ADK sc-t, ca-11 cards, omni.                                                   
 ua-5, ca-9100
pmd660, mt,
ALWAYS GRATEFUL,EYES

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »
I still wouldn't carry one of those devices on my person :
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=64648.0
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
I lined my Nova 5 bag with asbestos plates.  The outside of the bag hardly even gets warm anymore when the MT explodes.

Actually I've had mine for almost 10 months and it has performed well.  I mostly use it as a bitbucket.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
well, it seems like my luck is 50/50 with this thing. right now, I have firmware 1.4.1v9 and I let it charge for a while after it was a full charge, and its frozen now. So I cant use it tonite like I wanted to. But I used it a few nites ago, and let it over charge alittle before hand, and everything went smooth.

::)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 12:41:56 AM »
Where else can you get a deck that not only records the show, but eliminates the need to "flick your bic" during the encore   :thinking:
I prefer S/PDIF, but when I need to I have no problems the 1/4"TRS.
The JB3 is looking kins of old (and BIG)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline buffalofloyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 04:42:55 AM »
Ok, just ordered this little nifty device for the battery issue.  I hope it works, I'm sure it will.  The only disappointing thing is that carrying in another piece of equipment is a bummer.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855998033   Anyone else tried this exact device.  If I can get an extra couple hrs recording time it will be totally worth it.  It was either buy this or get a 4 gig compact flash card.  I already use a 4 gig Hitachi Microdrive that has performed albsolutely flawlessly, the only problem is that it chews the shit out of the internal battery.  I figure I'd just get the power pack, if I just got the cf card I could still run the risk of running out of battery.  Now I can record at higher bit and khz depths if I choose and not have to worry about battery power... hopefully.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Jim

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
well, it seems like my luck is 50/50 with this thing. right now, I have firmware 1.4.1v9 and I let it charge for a while after it was a full charge, and its frozen now. So I cant use it tonite like I wanted to. But I used it a few nites ago, and let it over charge alittle before hand, and everything went smooth.

Did it freeze while it was charging or while you were using i t (or both)? What was on-screen at the time? And why did that prevent you from using it that night?  In case you don't know, you can force the MT to power down even when it's frozen by holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds.  I haven't had to do this for the last several firmwares but earlier ones were fairly notorious for freezing.

J.T.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2006, 11:10:15 AM »

I am very happy with my microtrack - I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with it that weren't my own fault.  I am running the latest firmware and it works just fine.  The microtrack has settled down!!  I would definitely recommend it.  Great stealth device!!

:djsmilie:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline buffalofloyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2006, 02:25:59 PM »
Ok, just ordered this little nifty device for the battery issue. 

Most of us are running USB battery packs that take 4 AA batteries. I paid about $10 for mine shipped. They were common when the microtrack came out but seem kinda scarce now.  I didn't see on that newegg page where they disclosed the total mAH capacity of that lithium pack.

I am not exactly sure what mAH is or means but these are the specifications I could find...

Specifications:

• Output Voltage: DC 5V
• Output Current: 1000mA max.
• Dimension: 3.9"H x 2.4"W x 0.6"D
• Net Weight: 11.3oz

The dude from Sound Pro recommended this product on his site and did tests with it and blah blah blah, you can go there and and check it out if you like, maybe there is more info there that could help you.  There is a thread on this in the "Remote Power" section, he lists it for $59 but I found it for $35 on that link I provided.  I would rather have a pack that took disposal batteries but for $35 I'll give this a try, it's not a bank breaker and I think it should work out nicely...  Of course all of this would be unnecessary if the thing took disposal batteries in the first place  :P

Cheers,
Jim

Offline jlykos

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »
Sorry for the cross-post, but this thread is active.  I ran across this doing a google search for packs.  Would it work?  It looks like it takes rechargeable, alkaline, and lithium AA batteries with no problem.  It also only costs $20.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Palm_Treo_700w-541~area~accessories-Power+Accessories~item~USB-BATADPT01.htm

Any guess?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
the power portion looks alright, but I can't really see the USB tip...
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline jlykos

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2006, 03:42:14 PM »
I believe it is a female USB end, so I would a male USB 2.0 > mini-USB (for lack of a better word).  Could I just use any USB cable that I could buy at Best Buy for this?

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »
if that is indeed a female usb, then sure.  but it's not clear at all.

this is what i use...

http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx?ID=2019
http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

cut the cords, put a quick disconnect on the 12volt side, put a USB mini on the other side, set switch to 5v, done.  hook up a batt of your choice, up to 12v, on the batt side w/ the quick disconnect.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 03:53:17 PM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline BillPryor

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »
Has anybody used the Microtrack for external mic-in recording of ordinary conversation? I'm looking for a device to record voice over interviews for use in a documentary. I tried the Marantz 660 but found it was way too noisy. The mic I want to use is an old Sennheiser wired lav, which has power so I don't need to use phantom power.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2006, 10:23:27 PM »
new prob for me  :'(

recorded a show on 1.4.3
everything seems fine as in it recorded fine, plays from the mt
however the files will not transfer to my comp
it copies some then a error box says that the file can't be read or wrote to and stops copying
has anyone heard of this or know why it does it
or better yet how to fix it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »

recorded a show on 1.4.3
it copies some then a error box says that the file can't be read or wrote to and stops copying

Do you have a different hard drive (or partition) that you can copy the file to?  Maybe your internal hard drive is developing problems.  Or try it on another computer to help confirm this.  I'd also try copying the file using an external card reader to see if that helps.

J.T.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2006, 01:10:57 PM »

recorded a show on 1.4.3

Do you have a different hard drive (or partition) that you can copy the file to?  Maybe your internal hard drive is developing problems.  Or try it on another computer to help confirm this.  I'd also try copying the file using an external card reader to see if that helps.

J.T.
well today
i dragged and dropped the file into itunes
guess what it copied into itunes
so good news is i got the file copied/saved on my comp (same hard dirve as before)
bad news is i am not sure why it wouldn't copy "normal"
i will have to do some more tests on it

as for a external reader, its a microdrive - can you put a microdrive into a card reader?
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2006, 02:07:01 PM »
There is a thread on this in the "Remote Power" section, he lists it for $59 but I found it for $35 on that link I provided.  I would rather have a pack that took disposal batteries but for $35 I'll give this a try, it's not a bank breaker and I think it should work out nicely...  Of course all of this would be unnecessary if the thing took disposal batteries in the first place  :P

I got my 4AA USB sled for ~$10. I think more than that is overpriced.

Did some poking around old MT threads, following might be a good start

http://pdaden.com/shop/catalog/product_16686_USB_Battery_Box_with_LED_light_Emergency_Charger_cat_284.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5876777614&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.gpscity.com/item-gps-city-usb-power-pack/batusbpower.htm

I got mine from

http://www.dealsonic.com/usbbapabapof.html

but I can't find it there anymore.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2006, 02:22:36 PM »

recorded a show on 1.4.3

J.T.
well today
i dragged and dropped the file into itunes
guess what it copied into itunes
so good news is i got the file copied/saved on my comp (same hard dirve as before)
bad news is i am not sure why it wouldn't copy "normal"
i will have to do some more tests on it

as for a external reader, its a microdrive - can you put a microdrive into a card reader?

Glad to hear first of all that you got the files copied. That's the most important thing (I expect).  And as for card readers and MicroDrives, any modern reader that reads type 2 cards should be able to read them. I haven't run into any that couldn't but maybe really old ones could have trouble. If the slot on the reader accepts the size of the MicroDrive it should work just fine.

J.T.

Offline willndmb

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:08:10 AM by willndmb »

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 01:57:30 AM »

Did it freeze while it was charging or while you were using i t (or both)? What was on-screen at the time? And why did that prevent you from using it that night?  In case you don't know, you can force the MT to power down even when it's frozen by holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds.  I haven't had to do this for the last several firmwares but earlier ones were fairly notorious for freezing.

J.T.

basically, what happened was the little battery thing appeared full so I let it coontinue to charger for another hour. I thern unpluged it, and it stayed with the m-audio name on the screen, and the battery full picture in the corner. I tried pushing buttons, but nothing happenned. I ran the mt with sc power at a few shows, that wasa fun, now I just let it power a bit preshow, and use a diy batt pack for it.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.417 seconds with 83 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com