Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Mini Disc recorder???  (Read 20072 times)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Re: Best Mini Disc recorder???
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 04:27:42 PM »
In my opinion - most beginners start out w/ MD - then move up to HD or w/e

and which do you think is the best MD model???

I know this is not what you ment by the best (I am thinking the best in your<$100 estimate) but for a non hi-md machine, this thing is tits. It even has an optical output. HHB put this out only a few years back... too bad they didn't wait awhile and introduce this in a uncompressed version. Hands down, the best md ever made...

HHB PortaDisc MDP500
Professional Portable MiniDisc Recorder

HHB’s new PORTADISC is a rugged, fully-featured MiniDisc portable set to become standard issue in TV, film and broadcast audio acquisition. Developed in consultation with leading sound recordists, the PORTADISC optimises the many advantages of the MD format - sound quality, random access, editing, etc. - in a robust, portable package loaded with the features essential for a life on location. The PORTADISC records on standard MiniDiscs, easily available anywhere in the world, and uses ATRAC compression to ensure optimum sound quality. Sonic performance is further enhanced by a high quality balanced microphone input circuit, which also features switchable phantom power, limiting and ganging. Power is supplied by AA alkaline batteries, again widely available, or by rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries (supplied), delivering recording times of up to 4 hours before recharging is necessary. A universal 100V-240V charger is also supplied. Connectivity is comprehensive, including balanced XLR mic/line inputs, RCA phono line outputs, headphone jack and coaxial and optical SPDIF digital I/Os. Of particular interest to radio journalists will be the provision of a USB interface for the real-time transfer of files to laptop editing systems, enabling the production of finished news pieces in the field. In addition, basic editing functions are also available on the PORTADISC itself, accessed via an intuitive software controlled menu system.

Solid and sturdy, the PORTADISC is housed in a tough, shockproof case with a large, illuminated display and a built in monitoring speaker and back-up microphone. A memory buffer delivers glitch-free recording on the move, and a 6 second pre-record buffer ensures that the sound recordist never misses a take. An auto start / cut function with adjustable threshold is invaluable in environmental noise monitoring applications, particularly when used in conjunction with the PORTADISC’s time / date stamp function. Additional features including automatic gain control, one touch recording, lockable record level and key hold facilities, all contribute to making the HHB PORTADISC the most highly specified audio acquisition recorder in the business.

• Balanced XLR mic / line input
• Coaxial and optical SPDIF digital I/O
• Unbalanced RCA phono line output
• Clear display with accurate metering and margin indicator
• Automatic gain control
• One touch record
• Key hold and record level lock
• Powered by standard AA alkaline batteries or rechargeable NiMh batteries (8 supplied, rechargeable in the PORTADISC)
• AC adaptor

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 04:42:39 PM by larrysellers »

Offline beathydrolysis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »
All right, here is the definitive answer to squash all the other banter.
1.  PREFACE:  Yes flash is hands down better than mini-disc
2.  Mini-disc is okay if you're only looking to spend $100
3.  Of the non-hi-md models sharp is better only because old sony's didn't have the ability to adjust levels while recording (you needed a preamp with level control, but if you're going to use an old md player you need a preamp anyway because the internal md ADC is not sufficient for high SPL situations - aka rock concerts)
4.  If you get a non-hi-md model you will NOT be able to upload to your computer except in real-time through your soundcard.
5.  If you buy a hi-md player you can adjust levels on the fly and upload to your computer.
6.  Buying a hi-md model will set you back $200+ dollars (over 300 for the new rh1)
7.  You can use AA batts. with the hi-md models like the mz-rh900 and mz-m100 (and a usb power pack with the new mz-rh1)
8.  If you are going to spend 200-300 dollars you might as well move to a flash player like the R-09 (or a hard drive player, though they can be skipped just like any player with moving parts including md)

It depends on how serious you are, how attuned your ear is, how much you really care about a particular feature, how much your willing to spend, and the list goes on endlessly.   I started with a sony mz-n707 to get in the door cheap and see if I liked taping.  I was also in high school and on a tight budget.  It served my needs well for a couple years but did not produce tradeable tapes or satisfy the audiophile in me.  So I traded up.  If you are hell bent on a non-hi-md player, I'd get a sony mzn-707 with a small preamp.  That said the suit of features you requested do not fit in an old md player in the price range you wanted.  You'll either have to up the investment or compromise your needs. 
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

nameloc01

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »
md haters.
please. ::)
a hi-md can get just as good a "tape" as any DAT.its a fact.
if you are going to get one get a mz-m100 or one of the 2 newest models.whichever one,make sure you get one with an illuminated display.
a few things i read previously..
1. md tapes are undesireable...fucking completely not true(unless lossy early md units)
2.the batteries are no good.... LOL  with the dry battery attachment i get over 5 hours of continous lossless recording.
3.they are for beginners...and why is that exactly??

and if i am correct they are one of the smallest recording units avalaible,perfect for stealth missions.as i'll prove this weekend.

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 06:57:47 PM »

and if i am correct they are one of the smallest recording units avalaible,perfect for stealth missions.as i'll prove this weekend.

i only say that cuz there cheap, affordable, and give u a taste of what taping is about  :)

i love my MZ-RH910  :-*
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 07:13:33 PM »
I read somewhere in the forums that another problem with MD/HIMD is that they can SKIP while recording (there is no buffer for recording like they have in playback).

If true, that's a fairly large negative IMHO. 

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 08:04:54 PM »
I am no MD hater, in fact for the longest time I taped through original MD and Hi-MD. However...

a hi-md can get just as good a "tape" as any DAT.its a fact.

As good as DAT, sure, I'll give it that. However, a better comparison is made to flash recorders like the R-09 which do 24-bit and are BETTER THAN DAT (and MD or Hi-MD for that matter). And keep in mind, the ultimate (in taper suitability and as the last of the line) DAT recorder was the PCM-M1, which was released over 8 1/2 years ago! So yeah, hopefully MD would be better than that!

[quote[if you are going to get one get a mz-m100 or one of the 2 newest models.whichever one,make sure you get one with an illuminated display.[/quote]

Agreed, but the difference in price between these units and the R-01/R-09/microtracker is so negligible that anyone would be silly to get a Hi-MD unit today, September 2006.

1. md tapes are undesireable...fucking completely not true(unless lossy early md units)

They only hold 1 GB, or 94 min of PCM audio (and no 24-bit capability). That's pretty undesirable to me. If they would come out with a 2 GB unit at $10 per disc that ran on AA battery(ies) and could connect to the computer as a mass storage device (like the flash recorders) via Firewire or USB 2 (Hi-MD advertises USB 2 but actually uses a USB 1.1 connection speed which is why it's so slow), recording directly to .wav files, at a $200 price point, that would be a great unit for PCM audio. It'll never happen, however.

2.the batteries are no good.... LOL  with the dry battery attachment i get over 5 hours of continous lossless recording.

Having to use an attachment for AA batteries is a kludge. This is why I had the NHF-800, which ONLY was able to take 1 AA battery and no attachments necessary.

Because that's how Sony has marketed and developed the format...it's always been the digital replacement for cassette tapes, which was never a serious format to begin with. The limitations Sony puts on the format are not taper friendly at all. I daresay I would prefer a MD for ipod-like applications (i.e. portable music listening), but it sucks hardcore as a taping device (many units without a backlight, AGC on by default and cannot turn off permanently, extremely slow performance to go from off to recording etc.)

The R-09 is slightly shorter and a little thicker than your average candy bar cell phone...since the advent of flash recorders, MD's have no longer had the monopoly on ultra-compact high quality stealth recorders. I stealthed my entire setup this past weekend (deck, preamp, and mics) by sticking them all in a gallon ziplock bag and putting the bag in a jock strap with the protective cup removed. Unless security directly grabs my nuts, they're never going to find it, and there is no visual indication under a slightly baggy pair of jeans.

MD could have been great, but Sony has not released a good product (outside of the PS1 and PS2) in quite some time.

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 08:05:24 PM »
I read somewhere in the forums that another problem with MD/HIMD is that they can SKIP while recording (there is no buffer for recording like they have in playback).

If true, that's a fairly large negative IMHO. 

I never had this problem.

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
4.  If you get a non-hi-md model you will NOT be able to upload to your computer except in real-time through your soundcard.

Not true, I bought a standalone MD deck for $75 off ebay a few years ago that's still in my closet "just in case" :D Also, I guess the new Sonic Stage software allows you to upload regular MD recordings (though for that, you need a Hi-MD recorder/player anyway, heh).

7.  You can use AA batts. with the hi-md models like the mz-rh900 and mz-m100

Only the discontinued NHF-800/NH-700 allow you to use AA batteries without an attachment, to my understanding.

8.  If you are going to spend 200-300 dollars you might as well move to a flash player like the R-09 (or a hard drive player, though they can be skipped just like any player with moving parts including md)

I think that's the bottom line.

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »
7.  You can use AA batts. with the hi-md models like the mz-rh900 and mz-m100

Only the discontinued NHF-800/NH-700 allow you to use AA batteries without an attachment, to my understanding.

Correct.  The the rh900 and mz-m100 require a dry battery case (which attaches to the unit) to run on AA cells.  My point was simply that you could run AAs with hi-md models (save the rh1).  In reference to the uploads, realtime is almost universal for md players pre-hi-md.  IMO any player that mihu23 will get will not facilitate direct transmission of audio to pc via usb or firewire.

And please guys, let's try and answer the question posted by mihu23 instead of getting bogged down in our respective camps.  We have established that flash is the way of the future, and md is a format which has served many of us well.  Regardless of whether you love md or hate it, we have suggested that if mihu23 can bite the bullet and pay $300 plus dollars for a unit, then md may not be the way to go (though I agree it is a great stealth tool, and if an old md player gets confiscated your not out big bucks).  But it really appears that mihu23 is after a 100 dollar rig and nobody is parting with an R-09 for a hundred bucks.  So it would be great if we could suggest some classic net md models or others of that vintage which will serve mihu23 well for a hundred bucks.

My vote is still the mz-n707 w/ a preamp.

Another great reference for models is minidisc.org .  What other models have people had good luck with?
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 11:36:03 AM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:52:06 PM by larrysellers »

nameloc01

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 03:49:50 PM »
i have an old mzr-3,if you pay for the postage its yours.(really) :)

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 10:39:54 PM »
If you only have $100 I'd go with a first-gen hi-md unit. And maybe a really cheap old md recorder (i used to use the mzr-70 previously mentioned) for the 20 second patch you'll need while switching discs (the biggest md headache in my opinion).

Offline King Ghidora

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:30 PM »
MD has really seen it's better days as far as being the top technology for recording audio on location.  They still are the best if you're looking for a bargain because they can be bought fairly cheap on eBay or used.  All HIMD recorders have very similar quality.  The very latest edition of HIMD has some advantages but you're still better off buying something else (like the Edirol) if what you want is top quality audio.

I just bought a used HIMD because I knew it was the best deal for a recording device that fit the needs I have.  I didn't really need 24 bit because my primary reason for getting a HIMD was as a audio recorder for my video projects.  24 bit isn't much of an advantage if you have to convert it back to 16 bit to use it with the video format I'm using (mini-dv).  24 bit would have been overkill for me so I saved a few hundred bucks and bought a used HIMD.

For a long time someone had Sony MZ-NH700's and MZ-NHF800's for sale cheap on eBay.  They generally sold at auction for around $100 and $125 respectively.  I think maybe they have sold out all of their stock but maybe they still have a few.  They are decent recorders even if they aren't the best and these models are the last to use regular AA batteries without having to use a seperate battery box.  If you decide to save a few bucks and go with HIMD you might check eBay for these models for sale from a place called Norco or something similar in California.  

Offline King Ghidora

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 10:57:34 PM »
If you only have $100 I'd go with a first-gen hi-md unit. And maybe a really cheap old md recorder (i used to use the mzr-70 previously mentioned) for the 20 second patch you'll need while switching discs (the biggest md headache in my opinion).

I have a MZ-R70 that I intend to use as a backup now that I have a HIMD.  Using it to cover the gap between discs on my MZ-NHF800 is a good idea.  My primary use isn't for taping shows but I do sometimes do that including sometimes when I'm producing concert video for sale as a DVD. 

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 12:25:36 AM »
The source for inexpensive Hi-MD recorders in Norco, CA is Shewas Inc.
http://www.shewasinc.com/minidisc.html

Shewas price for a new (not refurbished) MZ-NH700 is $125.  The NH700
operates on a single AA battery and accepts mic, line and digital optical inputs.

The optical input works fine with the Denecke AD-20 preamp.  Core Sound
sells the AD-20 for $310, and they offer an attractive 30 day trial for the
cost of shipping ($9 for standard US Mail).

Flintstone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com