Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1 and MR-1000 - News DSD Recorders announced at AES  (Read 84082 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Korg MR-1 and MR-1000 - News DSD Recorders announced at AES
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 12:08:24 PM »
Looks cool! Now, where's my portable, affordable, 4 channel DSD recorder :)

Stupid side question: if you record in DSD, can you burn the DSD to a DVD and have it play on any SACD player? Also, I'm assuming there is software to edit the DSD recording (not just convert to PCM)?

I have not seen software to go DSD > SACD. Perhaps thats what they mean by future prrof ? Like for now you can take the dsd and convert to PCM until the time when DSD > SACD becomes affordable
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:24:55 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 12:08:57 PM »
The smaller mr-1 is a little bigger than an ipod, and includes 2 balanced connectors on 1/8" jacks and mini mic, while the bigger table top version includes 48v phantom with what was described as very transparant and neutral mic pres.

So, this would mean that the mr-1 does not support 48v phantom, right?
So, what is the "mic power" button for on the mr-1?

Very interesting recorder!

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »

Stupid side question: if you record in DSD, can you burn the DSD to a DVD and have it play on any SACD player? Also, I'm assuming there is software to edit the DSD recording (not just convert to PCM)?

I have not seen software to go DSD > SACD. Perhaps thats what they mean by future prrof ? Like for now you can take the dsd and convert to PCM until the time when DSD > SACD becomes affordable

So to listen to the DSD, you have to use the recorder itself? Can you even listen to DSD through the computer? Seems kind of odd that you can't burn to SACD, but then again it is a proprietary format. I guess quality analog outs are important for these devices.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »
The MR-1 looks sweet. I better start saving!
Retired Taper

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 02:09:42 PM »
The smaller mr-1 is a little bigger than an ipod, and includes 2 balanced connectors on 1/8" jacks and mini mic, while the bigger table top version includes 48v phantom with what was described as very transparant and neutral mic pres.

So, this would mean that the mr-1 does not support 48v phantom, right?
So, what is the "mic power" button for on the mr-1?

Very interesting recorder!

Roel

The 'mic power' button on the mr-1 is for the included mini mic. It's not 48v phantom. 5v maybe?

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »
I have not seen software to go DSD > SACD. Perhaps thats what they mean by future proof ? Like for now you can take the dsd and convert to PCM until the time when DSD > SACD becomes affordable

And this doesn't exactly fall under the "affordable" category  ;D
http://www.sonicstudio.com/products/dsd/sacdc.html

Is there any other DSD>SACD software out there that is less than 5K?

I think that the DV-RA1000 users have a discWelder version that converts/burns the DSD masters to 24/192 PCM (or lower), but have they promised a DSD>SACD in the future?

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

RebelRebel

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 08:58:22 AM »
the DSD to SACD requires expensive authoring tools..only a few mastering houses have this capability, as far as I know. it isnt a simple thing.

no ...there is nothing less than 5k

there will not be any DSD>>>SACD tools for consumers. just wont happen.

http://www.airshowmastering.com/sacdimg/SACD.pdf

I have not seen software to go DSD > SACD. Perhaps thats what they mean by future proof ? Like for now you can take the dsd and convert to PCM until the time when DSD > SACD becomes affordable

And this doesn't exactly fall under the "affordable" category  ;D
http://www.sonicstudio.com/products/dsd/sacdc.html

Is there any other DSD>SACD software out there that is less than 5K?

I think that the DV-RA1000 users have a discWelder version that converts/burns the DSD masters to 24/192 PCM (or lower), but have they promised a DSD>SACD in the future?

Later,
   pjdavep

RebelRebel

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2006, 09:00:44 AM »
there are only a couple of platforms such as Pyramix, Sadie, and Sonic Studios that allow you to edit DSD material.  there is also the sonoma workstation, which isnt cheap.

you cannot just burn the DSD to DVD and play anywhere...you have to get the DSD authored to SACD.

RebelRebel

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 09:03:29 AM »
well, there are a number of DSD Converters on the market..

Prism, weiss, emm labs, grimm, digital audio denmark.... I use an external converter with my Tascam DVRA..(1st gen meitner)

Teddy
Still there is no digi in on either.  The MR-1 would be the shit if it had a digi in and accept 24/96.  It may however be a stealthers dream.....and replace the R9.  If the R9 would just support 4gig cards and higher.....Thats the only thing keeping me from getting one.  But with the MR-1 coming out, I might just have to wait and see..... >:D

I would imagine that if you had the desire to record DSD, and picked up one of these recorders to do so, you wouldnt need a digital in.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 09:18:52 AM »
there are only a couple of platforms such as Pyramix, Sadie, and Sonic Studios that allow you to edit DSD material.  there is also the sonoma workstation, which isnt cheap.

you cannot just burn the DSD to DVD and play anywhere...you have to get the DSD authored to SACD.

Forgive me for asking, then, but what's the point of a consumer device that records to DSD? Are they hoping that consumer DSD devices will spaw affordable or free DSD editing/SACD authoring software?

Offline analog orange

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 11:15:49 AM »
I just got back from AES as well.  I can vouch for the build and sound quality of both recorders.  They're both very nice, but Korg missed out on a simple feature that would make them much more valuable.  If the units themselves could act as a computer audio interface, bang- instant DSD sound card.  Who's got a DSD sound in their computer these days?  Oh well.

As far as why DSD, just look at a sine wave as described in 24/96 versus DSD.  It's the closest thing we're going to have to a noiseless 1 inch analog you can slip into your pocket.  I was about to drop a grand on the TASCAM HD-PS2.  I'm going to wait and see now. 

Cool forum, I'm finally getting back into field recording and this is a really great place.

Justin

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 11:31:39 AM »
As far as why DSD, just look at a sine wave as described in 24/96 versus DSD.  It's the closest thing we're going to have to a noiseless 1 inch analog you can slip into your pocket.  I was about to drop a grand on the TASCAM HD-PS2.  I'm going to wait and see now. 

Welcome to TS!

And as far as why NOT DSD... How the f do you LOOK at a DSD sine wave?  I'm serious... How can I actually do it today?

I mean, give me 5 minutes and I can write an application from scratch that will read the PCM data from a wav and plot it.. Because the format is not proprietary.  I don't have to worry about how  I will read the PCM masters in 20 or 30 years. With DSD, I would always need an application that could work with the latest computer hardware and OS, etc..

Also, how are people going to playback?  I'm not giving up my squeezebox.  So that means converting everything to PCM.

Back to your original 'viz a sinewave'... Look at a 3000hz sine wave in 44.1Khz.  Even at that low frequency, very few points define the sine wave.  There is the basic question of how the DAC generates the analog output from the digital input but we're straying from the core DSD issue..

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 01:14:53 PM »
And as far as why NOT DSD... How the f do you LOOK at a DSD sine wave?  I'm serious... How can I actually do it today?
So we need an open source solution to go from DSD to PCM?

RebelRebel

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 02:20:13 PM »
well, It has always been that even big recording houses send the raw DSD files to the mastering plants to get the SACD process done..I dont see that changing. I guess maybe this another push to get DSD out there in the world as a serious format.

Forgive me for asking, then, but what's the point of a consumer device that records to DSD? Are they hoping that consumer DSD devices will spaw affordable or free DSD editing/SACD authoring software?

RebelRebel

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 02:21:14 PM »
So we need an open source solution to go from DSD to PCM?

there is already software that does DSD___PCM downsampling. Tascam includes it with their DV_RA1000s.

Teddy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com