Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1 and MR-1000 - News DSD Recorders announced at AES  (Read 84124 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Korg MR-1 and MR-1000 - News DSD Recorders announced at AES
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »
I like my r09 a LOT but, so far, the A/D does not seem to capture cymbal detail and decay as well as the 722.

So the 24/96, 24/192 and DSD on the small recorder could be moot if the signal path and A/D can't capture the detail.  Specs aside, how GOOD will it sound.

That's probably the best point...

You could have ultra high resolution of a not-so-great input signal.  :hmmm:

Let's hope the rest of this thing sounds nice.  Not to be pessemistic, but it is being made by Korg.  Have they made any higher quality recorders etc. Like studio gear?  The only products I've seen by them were some pretty consumer grade mixer/recorders and whatnot.  Do they made any studio gear, or are they affiliated with any other companies?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 10:15:48 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2006, 10:27:29 PM »
well hell, why use anything with a good signal path anyway..hell..the music is coming out of some busted ass peaveys from 1978 that were sent a signal by some behringer eurorack POS , DBX driverack, and a half blown ART multiverb.operated by some numbnuts with half a GED , a coke problem and a bench warrant.

tascam has a reputation for making less than stellar gear too, but the DVRA is a homerun. converters are great!

lets not put the cart before the horse here.. :)

DSD is a stellar format. this is a good thing.

I like my r09 a LOT but, so far, the A/D does not seem to capture cymbal detail and decay as well as the 722.

So the 24/96, 24/192 and DSD on the small recorder could be moot if the signal path and A/D can't capture the detail.  Specs aside, how GOOD will it sound.

That's probably the best point...

You could have ultra high resolution of a not-so-great input signal.  :hmmm:

Let's hope the rest of this thing sounds nice.  Not to be pessemistic, but it is being made by Korg.  Have they made any higher quality recorders etc. Like studio gear?  The only products I've seen by them were some pretty consumer grade mixer/recorders and whatnot.  Do they made any studio gear, or are they affiliated with any other companies?

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2006, 10:38:34 PM »
well hell, why use anything with a good signal path anyway..hell..the music is coming out of some busted ass peaveys from 1978 that were sent a signal by some behringer eurorack POS , DBX driverack, and a half blown ART multiverb.operated by some numbnuts with half a GED , a coke problem and a bench warrant.

tascam has a reputation for making less than stellar gear too, but the DVRA is a homerun. converters are great!

I can't argue with that...

Tascam does have a history of making pro quality studio gear (DVRA's intended market), what can be said for Korg?

I hope it's a winner, I'd love to see DSD become much more common.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

RebelRebel

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2006, 11:01:19 PM »
the Korg Triton is awesome! :P

well...maybe itll be stellar!

I can't argue with that...

Tascam does have a history of making pro quality studio gear (DVRA's intended market), what can be said for Korg?

I hope it's a winner, I'd love to see DSD become much more common.

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2006, 12:41:46 AM »
the Korg Triton is awesome! :P

MIDI magic...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:45:59 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »
Jack DeJohnette was playing a newer version Korg Triton at the show I saw on Saturday night with Bill Frisell..  fwiw
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2006, 10:04:15 PM »
I have found that DSD recording can make the rest of the signal chain much less important. Most high quality gear is designed to make PCM sound better. A lot of money is spent trying to improve a PCM decimated signal, both in recording and in playback.

DSD does not provide the extended frequency response that 96kHz and 192 kHz PCM recordings are trying to capture. PCM wastes a lot of information trying to capture frequencies beyond those being played live or even reproduced in the studio. This is then further limited by the mics, playback system and limited human hearing range. DSD in contrast is providing hugely higher resolution in the range we all hear and with low cost mics and playback systems. There is at least twice as much information/resolution in the 20-20k range vs. PCM.

I hope we start seeing DO NOT CONVERT TO PCM warnings on downloads. Seems we are moving more towards PC based playback systems and the playback software is there. No real need for an alternative Audio SACD format we can afford to play on SACD players that seem to be phasing out. Now a consumer DVD player that would play DFF files would be welcome by me. I bet they would sell many more of those than SACD players!

Now I need to go integrate my PC into the main listening system and scale my gear way down while I can.

mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2006, 10:27:15 PM »
so to do this ('puter playback) right, wont we need to see dsd capable cards (pci, etc)..?

a ways away, but 'puter dsd playback would be killer. foobar2k baby!!!! if any app (and programmer) can get it right it will be pp (the d00d that wrote fb2k)

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2006, 10:49:57 PM »
so to do this ('puter playback) right, wont we need to see dsd capable cards (pci, etc)..?

a ways away, but 'puter dsd playback would be killer. foobar2k baby!!!! if any app (and programmer) can get it right it will be pp (the d00d that wrote fb2k)

I'm reasonably certain the included software will play back the DFF files without any special card.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
Now I need to go integrate my PC into the main listening system and scale my gear way down while I can.

After hearing your Wilco recording, I think it's safe to say all you need is the Milab's!! 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »
DSD does not provide the extended frequency response that 96kHz and 192 kHz PCM recordings are trying to capture. PCM wastes a lot of information trying to capture frequencies beyond those being played live or even reproduced in the studio. This is then further limited by the mics, playback system and limited human hearing range. DSD in contrast is providing hugely higher resolution in the range we all hear and with low cost mics and playback systems. There is at least twice as much information/resolution in the 20-20k range vs. PCM.
Interesting. This is the general opinion? This could be one of the pro's for DSD.

I hope we start seeing DO NOT CONVERT TO PCM warnings on downloads. Seems we are moving more towards PC based playback systems and the playback software is there. No real need for an alternative Audio SACD format we can afford to play on SACD players that seem to be phasing out. Now a consumer DVD player that would play DFF files would be welcome by me. I bet they would sell many more of those than SACD players!
I think playback gear beyond a PC is a must. I can burn DVD-A's and if NAD fixes their issue the audio can be played back flawlessly.
DSD on the other hand is not yet a 'user' medium. I can not archive DSD to disk in a playable format (except PC) nor edit.
This is a con.

Are the file formats that the Korg units support for DSD proprietary and undocumented?

Less is more?

mic -> batterybox -> DSD ?  ???

RebelRebel

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2006, 04:34:38 AM »
Less is more?

Less is ALWAYS more.. The less gear in the signal path to introduce colorations, the better.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2006, 09:40:55 AM »
I have found that DSD recording can make the rest of the signal chain much less important. Most high quality gear is designed to make PCM sound better. A lot of money is spent trying to improve a PCM decimated signal, both in recording and in playback.

That's some heavy hype. Care to expand on it?

DSD does not provide the extended frequency response that 96kHz and 192 kHz PCM recordings are trying to capture. PCM wastes a lot of information trying to capture frequencies beyond those being played live or even reproduced in the studio. This is then further limited by the mics, playback system and limited human hearing range.

Your attempt to characterize 96khz as merely an effort to capture frequencies beyond human hearing seems disingenuous and inaccurate.

DSD in contrast is providing hugely higher resolution in the range we all hear and with low cost mics and playback systems.

Low cost playback = no DSD.

Seems we are moving more towards PC based playback systems and the playback software is there.

The DSD player software on your PC will convert to PCM before sending to the soundcard.
The only exception would be a native DSD card.  Most soundcards talk PCM only.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2006, 10:02:56 AM »
i will be on this like shit on Rusty's shorts!

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com