Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New improved microtrack (MT II)  (Read 137656 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New improved microtrack
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »
I believe the .bwf will solve the 2 gig limit.

I know some folks think wikipedia entries are bunk but this one sums the bwf issue up better than I could:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BWF

WAV compatibility

Since the only difference between a BWF and a "normal" WAV is the extended information in the file header (Bext-Chunk, Coding-History, etc...), a BWF does not require a special player for playback.

Unfortunately, this compatibility also preserves the filesize limitation that WAV files have (4GB in theory, 2GB in practice because most implementations use signed integer). In order to be able to store audio which would exceed this limit, 2 different chunks exist allowing to spread the audio material across several files: cont & link (see list above)

Since there is no official naming convention for these subsequent files, but it is still desirable to see at a glance which ones belong to a continuous piece of audio, a lot of programs apply a numbering scheme to the file suffix: .wav, .w01, .w02, ..., .wNN.

Each of those segments is a regular Wave/BWF file, but players that are aware of the continue/link chunk will treat all segments as one single, long piece of audio when opening the first segment ".wav".

As an extension, RF64 is a BWF-compatible multichannel file format enabling file sizes to exceed 4 GB that has been specified in 2006.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:20:03 PM by OFOTD »

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »
Sounds interesting OFOTD.... Another important feature for me is user friendly replaceable batteries....MTII doesn't seem to have a lot of space to fit a few AA batteries to me (I guess it needs a few AAs to get enough juice to power 2 phantom power mics). I just sold my old MT for $297.43 ;D so I definitely need to get the MTII.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline jtessier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007, 01:04:20 AM »
I noticed the different icons--at first glance I'd guess it was to control screen brightness level?

Your comment on the .bwf format and the autosplit feature is a bit cryptic . . .  anyway to confirm seamless splits will be a feature?  Really that's the main thing I'm looking for; since I only use it as a bit bucket, the increased gain range, true 48V phantom,  and faster transfer time (I use a card reader, anyway) don't matter to me much at all.  Seamless splits, though, would likely make me pony up for this.

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2007, 01:06:27 AM »
I noticed the different icons--at first glance I'd guess it was to control screen brightness level?

Your comment on the .bwf format and the autosplit feature is a bit cryptic . . .  anyway to confirm seamless splits will be a feature?  Really that's the main thing I'm looking for; since I only use it as a bit bucket, the increased gain range, true 48V phantom,  and faster transfer time (I use a card reader, anyway) don't matter to me much at all.  Seamless splits, though, would likely make me pony up for this.

Hypothetically speaking would a less than 10ms gap be acceptable? How about 5 or 6ms?

J.T.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2007, 01:17:12 AM »
Hypothetically speaking would a less than 10ms gap be acceptable? How about 5 or 6ms?

I think there are three basic camps here:

<1>  Only truly seamless will suffice, won't consider any other option
<2>  I don't care if it's seamless as long as I can't hear it
<3>  Split schmit...I'll make the break at an opportune time during the performance

So I think what you're really getting at with your question is the <2> group, and to satisfy them the split needs to be inaudible.  However many ms that is...well...I don't know.  It may depend in part on the source material.  Obviously, <1> is ideal.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2007, 02:47:54 AM »
considering all the other recorders do it to the sample, anything else is basically a compromise.

youd need to go in there and edit out the 'pop', which is a waste of time.

J.T.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 10:33:11 AM »
I know a few of us proposed that they give a fix in the form of recording to two mono files. That should have bumped the split point up to 4GB total.

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2007, 10:49:23 AM »
Seemless autosplit would be the only reason why I would upgrade.  What other features really makes it worth while?
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »
I agree with most everyone here - IMO for concert taping w/o seamless splits the upgraded version would make it no better as a bit-bucket than the original - Lets hope it has it.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 01:27:39 PM »
Definite motivation for upgrade is for those using analog mic/line inputs. 

Original Microtrack had way too much high frequency switching noise pollution into (especially left) channels. Using external preamp made this much less a problem.

Can't help but assume this issue has been more or less corrected for getting a more refined sounding A/D process at least through the line level if not also quieter mic level performance. 

Time will tell after MT 2 version ships so I can do a technical review like one at: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2007, 01:33:58 PM »
 ::)

So...anyone think or know if they will continue to update the firmware for the first MT, and/or will the MT2 firmware be able to be loaded into the old MT1?

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »

So...anyone think or know if they will continue to update the firmware for the first MT, and/or will the MT2 firmware be able to be loaded into the old MT1?

I'm willing to make an uneducated guess that both are unlikely.
The MT1 seems dead and the MT2 seems like an attempt at an all-new product. The firmware is not likely to be backwards compatible.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »

That'd be my guess too.  I hope I am wrong though. 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2007, 03:25:21 PM »

AFAIK there isn't really anything else left to fix on the original via firmware.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »
Being out of production (I think at this time) little support for older MT except repair or battery replacement service.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.214 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com