Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100691 times)

Offline BruPri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »
Mine is loose too. I talked to Sony about this and they cautioned warranty may be compromised using regular blue painters tape. However they added, "We have taken note want our customers to know we use this feedback to continually improve and refine our audio products"  coming in February, Sony accessory; PCM-PT, Sony BluPro-Painters Tape unfortunately it's only available from Sony. Go figure.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 07:29:22 PM »
Mine is loose too. I talked to Sony about this and they cautioned warranty may be compromised using regular blue painters tape. However they added, "We have taken note want our customers to know we use this feedback to continually improve and refine our audio products"  coming in February, Sony accessory; PCM-PT, Sony BluPro-Painters Tape unfortunately it's only available from Sony. Go figure.

Try gaffer's tape.  Very strong.  Leaves no residue.  Easy to remove.     ^-^

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 08:13:28 PM »

Does the card slot cap flap in the wind?  Like I wrote, mine is not 100% solidly closed but it doesn't open even if I shake the recorder.  I would only use gaffer's tape like spyder9 wrote.  Residue ain't purty.
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »

Heh
+t
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
...coming in February, Sony accessory; PCM-PT, Sony BluPro-Painters Tape

Does the card slot cap flap in the wind?    I would only use gaffer's tape like spyder9 wrote.  Residue ain't purty.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  The little door doesn't open up on its own, it just rattles back and forth a millimeter or two if you touch it or move the recorder in certain ways.  I'll have to get some gaffer's tape one of these days because I definately don't want residue, although the painter's tape seems pretty good about not leaving any.  Maybe Sony will come out with an improved door design that can be retrofitted.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 05:19:30 PM »
What's unity on the D50?  6?  7? 

Offline ercoa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 03:47:47 AM »
Anyone tried the remote?

I've been baffled by the lack of remotes on the MT and R-09 etc and wonder how MD people have gotten by after switching and losing the remote for stealthing. My MD remote has been crucial for me. The remote alone has made me consider this as an MD replacement.

and generally..is this the kick ass machine everyone was hoping it would be? I got seriously excited when
Sony announced it- but I've yet to see anyone really appear stoked by owning one..am I missing something here?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:12:01 AM by ercoa »

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 08:28:18 AM »
Anyone tried the remote?

I've been baffled by the lack of remotes on the MT and R-09 etc and wonder how MD people have gotten by after switching and losing the remote for stealthing. My MD remote has been crucial for me. The remote alone has made me consider this as an MD replacement.

and generally..is this the kick ass machine everyone was hoping it would be? I got seriously excited when
Sony announced it- but I've yet to see anyone really appear stoked by owning one..am I missing something here?
As a former and present owner of many MDs, I say the remote is not necessary at this point.  The recording level dial will change even with the hold function active.  I've been watching the prices and they will have to drop some before I make that jump since it's not a big necessity.  It's a big necessity for MDs because the buttons are so small and my fingers are too big.  The remote on the MDs has saved my recordings many times.
How much more stoked could I be about this machine? I personally have posted 30 or so times about it.  To me, this is the mac daddy of recorders.  It has the internals for quick snapshots of my kids playing music or at the local cafe, it takes optical if I ever upgrade my preamp, is built like a tank, takes AA batteries, has a killa headphone amp, optical line out, lighted display, up to 24/96 recording and tons of memory options.  I couldn't be more pleased, it's what made me finally take the step up from MDs. 

:realhappy::coolguy: AM :realhappy: REALLY  :coolguy: STOKED :realhappy:

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 11:11:07 AM »
Ran it last night.  Very impressed so far.  Easy to use.  No issues to report.  I have only listened through my earphones, but sounds nice and quiet.  I'll know more once I get the recording on the workbench this week.   

Unity seems to be around 4 - 4.5, based on in-the-field, non-scientific, guess work.

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »
the thread seems to continue here
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96418.msg1284932.html#msg1284932
(a couple of post above)
I just posted a simple comp.
sp c4s mixpre sony pcm-d50

Offline ercoa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »
lol good to know, mrsoul! very glad you're pleased.

I see your point about the remote- but i actually do need it, and not because of small buttons on an md- I don't want to touch the recorder, and I do want to pause/record multiple times during an outing, and i require stealth. So, either I record everything or I use a remote..

Offline noataper

• Taperssection Newbie
Mark Nelson's review on O'Reilly
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »
According to the review Mark Nelson posted yesterday he really seems to like the Sony PCM-D50:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2008/01/10/sony-pcm-d50-recorder-review.html?page=1

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
T+ Very cool review.  Anybody else used the limiter?  I might have to tinker with that some as I have ignored it for the most part.  I'm still very pleased with PCM-D50. I hope to use the external mic pre soon and compared to the internals at a live pub show.  Enjoy your weekend.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »
Anyone thought about checking if the internal memory can be upgraded? It looks as if it is difficult to check what media is used inside because the recorder is sealed to well.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 10:31:56 PM »
I've been finding that the mini-plug of my new headphones (Sony MDR-V6) are kind of stiff plugging and unplugging into the D50.  Today I noticed that little scratches/grooves are being left in the metal of the plug.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Otherwise I'm very happy so far with this recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com