Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder  (Read 92551 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
Re: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2008, 04:10:23 PM »
i wonder how long it will take for the r-44 pro to hit the market if it ever does?
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
i wonder how long it will take for the r-44 pro to hit the market if it ever does?
mid april is the newest word from reps

edit: nevermind, just re-read and saw that you were referring to a potential r-44 pro.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »
Ordered one today - now onto newegg for a card or two.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »

I've been told later this month, I have one on back order.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2008, 09:26:24 PM »
If you run an external preamp, will you be able to bypass the preamps?

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:07 PM »

superb question....I wanna know also.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2008, 12:19:18 AM »

superb question....I wanna know also.

Highly unlikely considering the earlier models design.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2008, 04:54:33 AM »
My objection with actual analog (resistive trim/level knob/slider control) is they do not track well enough, at least for my purposes using matched/calibrated multi-channel mics.  

Digital trim/level give much better chance that all channels have inherent known/precision tracking ability. Possible to set exact 'dB' adjustments.

What I would like to see, and spoke to SD engineer about this, is feature to fix each channel gain/level independently (like to calibrate not so precision matched mics), THEN have ability to adjust master level with all channels tracking up/down together, but maintaining the preset channel offset.   None of the two or 4 channel digital decks I've checked seem able to do this.

That's a great idea for any recorder, even more important with a 4 track machine.

If I recall it right, the Aaton Cantar has that feature. A little high-priced though, compared to the other units discussed here...

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

Has this thing started shipping yet? 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »

Has this thing started shipping yet? 

4/25 was the last update I got from Sweetwater
Retired Taper

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
My objection with actual analog (resistive trim/level knob/slider control) is they do not track well enough, at least for my purposes using matched/calibrated multi-channel mics. 

Digital trim/level give much better chance that all channels have inherent known/precision tracking ability. Possible to set exact 'dB' adjustments.

What I would like to see, and spoke to SD engineer about this, is feature to fix each channel gain/level independently (like to calibrate not so precision matched mics), THEN have ability to adjust master level with all channels tracking up/down together, but maintaining the preset channel offset.   None of the two or 4 channel digital decks I've checked seem able to do this.

That's a great idea for any recorder, even more important with a 4 track machine.

If I recall it right, the Aaton Cantar has that feature. A little high-priced though, compared to the other units discussed here...

Just do it in post. I don't even bother worrying about that kind of thing at the venue, why bother. That might not be true for all situations, but for audience recording concerts it's never been an issue for me.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
I got a call this afternoon from the company I ordered from (DVE Store, Seattle, WA) and they apprised me that they will receive their 1st shipment tomorrow and I hope to have it Friday.   ;D

Update: R-44 is enroute via FedEx for delivery 4/11. I'll post pics when it arrives..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:33:02 PM by boa »
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »

What I would like to see, and spoke to SD engineer about this, is feature to fix each channel gain/level independently (like to calibrate not so precision matched mics), THEN have ability to adjust master level with all channels tracking up/down together, but maintaining the preset channel offset.   None of the two or 4 channel digital decks I've checked seem able to do this.

Just do it in post. I don't even bother worrying about that kind of thing at the venue, why bother. That might not be true for all situations, but for audience recording concerts it's never been an issue for me.

Agreed for how most of us will use it, but it becomes more important for people recording 4 channel surround or especially Ambisonic B-format where you need 4 channels with equally tracked gain.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Roving Sign

« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2008, 06:48:28 AM »

Isnt that how the FR2LE works - sensitivity trimmers followed by master gain...kinda like a channel strip...?

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »

Isnt that how the FR2LE works - sensitivity trimmers followed by master gain...kinda like a channel strip...?

yep
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com