Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder  (Read 92299 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
When monitoring via the headphone socket of this or its stablemates, what control do you have of individual channels' pan and level?  (Monitor level/pan, not record level)?

For instance, if I was using this for recording a piano with a stereo mic and a violin solo with a mono mic, it would sound pretty weird during recording if the headphone monitoring had the piano in stereo on channels 1 & 2 and the violin in mono hard left on channel 3.  I'd normally want to pan the violin towards the centre and, independently of the record levels, balance the monitor levels of the two.  But there seems to be only input controls, not monitoring controls.  Maybe in software accessed via the screen??

Offline 98indypacer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »
When monitoring via the headphone socket of this or its stablemates, what control do you have of individual channels' pan and level?  (Monitor level/pan, not record level)?

For instance, if I was using this for recording a piano with a stereo mic and a violin solo with a mono mic, it would sound pretty weird during recording if the headphone monitoring had the piano in stereo on channels 1 & 2 and the violin in mono hard left on channel 3.  I'd normally want to pan the violin towards the centre and, independently of the record levels, balance the monitor levels of the two.  But there seems to be only input controls, not monitoring controls.  Maybe in software accessed via the screen??

It's hard to tell from the block diagram how the headphone control will work. 

http://www.edirol.com/images/stories/products/r44/r-44_block_diagram.pdf

I have several questions about this unit as well.  I guess we will have to wait until they post the owners manual online.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
watchin'
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »
Ok, I studied the block diagram a bit and here's a few things that I see (forgive me for repeating some previous observations):

Inputs:
  • Sensitivity is on the analog side
  • Lo/cut & level control are on the digital side.
  • Both the built-in mics AND the s/pdif route to channels 1 + 2. The mics enter the path before the level pot, s/pdif is switched after (naturally.)
  • S/pdif does not appear to pass though a resampling stage

Outputs:
  • Headphones deliver a sum of all four channels. No telling how this is mixed or if it's a straight sum.
  • Internal speakers deliver a sum of all four channels. No telling how this is mixed or if it's a straight sum.
  • S/pdif delivers a sum of all four channels. No telling how this is mixed or if it's a straight sum.
  • Line-outs Channel 1 + 2 may be switched to carry this summed signal.
  • S/pdif output does not appear to resample. ie: if recording a two channel digital source, it appears the s/pdif output will be the same signal.

Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
Ok, I studied the block diagram a bit and here's a few things that I see (forgive me for repeating some previous observations):

Inputs:
  • Both the built-in mics AND the s/pdif route to channels 1 + 2. The mics enter the path before the level pot, s/pdif is switched after (naturally.)

Outputs:
  • Headphones deliver a sum of all four channels. No telling how this is mixed or if it's a straight sum.
  • Internal speakers deliver a sum of all four channels. No telling how this is mixed or if it's a straight sum.
  • S/pdif delivers a sum of all four channels. No telling how this is mixed or if it's a straight sum.
  • S/pdif output does not appear to resample. ie: if recording a two channel digital source, it appears the s/pdif output will be the same signal.

this is good right?

as for the headphones, the knob next to the jack says push to select, i wonder if that means you can select channels by themself
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »
I think, depending on how you value/dislike the summing and how it may or may not be mixed... yes. This is generally good stuff.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »

Inputs:

Outputs:

this is good right?

as for the headphones, the knob next to the jack says push to select, i wonder if that means you can select channels by themself

That is exactly what happens.
Push the button to select from CH 1/2/3/4 Dual channel or all four channels.
I saw a quick demo here online of the R44 functionality from a Edirol rep.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=6011

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »

Very nice, thanks for the video link.

I like when he shows you the AA batteries with 3 duracell and 1 energizer in there.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
the video has def. peaked my interest. If oade/busman can get these things performing at the same level sonically as the other edirol products I can see myself moving to one.

it's also cool that they mention recording concerts with it. Goes to show that they had us in mind when designing/building the unit.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
To me, this monitoring issue highlights not only that this device is fundamentally flawed, but it also emphasises how mis-designed almost all the devices we discuss here are - IMHO.

Why is it that most of these devices have level controls in the digital domain, whereas almost all other digital recording systems do not?  Isn't it significant that the first question people ask about any new piece of kit here is "what's the unity gain figure"?  That's because in essence people don't want digital gain - it's (broadly speaking) the audio equivalent of the dreadful digital zoom on cameras/camcorders.

If you record straight into a PC with a proper soundcard or interface, you have analog input level controls on the interface (or none, if it has no mic inputs), and the digits are fed straight to your DAW software as is.   Normally that software would not out-of-the-box provide for digital input level control, only monitoring / playback level control.  Similarly, take something like the Korg D888 multitracker - you've got input trim per channel, and everything else (faders, pan, eq, etc etc) only affects monitoring and playback/mixdown.

All these correctly-implemented devices are so set up that analog clipping does not occur before digital clipping, or, digital and analog clipping happen at the same level.  You set the record levels entirely with the input trim controls in the analog domain - there's no point in digitally amplifying on the way to the storage medium, as you can do that safely on playback/mixdown, and if you need to digitally attenuate, well, your analog input is clipping anyway, so that's where you deal with it.

Now in the case of the Edirol R-44, digital gain should be fixed at unity, and the four knobs with concentric rings should adjust the monitoring/playback levels and pan, and analog input trim should be implemented another way.  Maybe by pressing and turning the channel knob, if there's not space for more knobs.  Or in software, with the pushable playback level knob flipping the rest between trim and monitoring functions.  Or with an assignable nudger like the zoom rocker on a camcorder.  Or whatever, it's not hard.

Sure, you could argue that during recording you are merely acquiring data and all you need do it to ensure that levels are correct, and never mind what the overall sound is like at that point.  But there are many scenarios where you do need to keep and ear on the overall sound, and while you could manipulate input levels to get a balance, personally I take the view that all channels should be adequately modulated and then attenuated on playback to achieve the correct relative balance.

So - am I right or am I wrong?  Who here would be taken aback if digital level controls were done away with on their kit?   Does anyone find them irreplaceably useful?

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »
I like in the video how the rep says something like: "there is a new metal inner casing that is extremely durable... that will allow the r-44 to withstand being run over by a uh... very light vehical"

:)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »
My objection with actual analog (resistive trim/level knob/slider control) is they do not track well enough, at least for my purposes using matched/calibrated multi-channel mics.  

Digital trim/level give much better chance that all channels have inherent known/precision tracking ability. Possible to set exact 'dB' adjustments.

What I would like to see, and spoke to SD engineer about this, is feature to fix each channel gain/level independently (like to calibrate not so precision matched mics), THEN have ability to adjust master level with all channels tracking up/down together, but maintaining the preset channel offset.   None of the two or 4 channel digital decks I've checked seem able to do this.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »
Guysonic,

I think the Fostex FR-2LE can do what you describe.  It's got trim adjustment for each channel so mics can be matched.  And then it has master volume to increase/decrease the result.  Both work in the analog side of the preamp. 

The FR-2LE is two channels only, and has no time code or digital input.  But it's quite capable for about $450 on eBay.

Flintstone

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 01:27:11 AM »
Stealth 4-channel  :P
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 02:24:25 AM »
To me, this monitoring issue highlights not only that this device is fundamentally flawed, but it also emphasises how mis-designed almost all the devices we discuss here are - IMHO.

Why is it that most of these devices have level controls in the digital domain, whereas almost all other digital recording systems do not?  Isn't it significant that the first question people ask about any new piece of kit here is "what's the unity gain figure"?  That's because in essence people don't want digital gain - it's (broadly speaking) the audio equivalent of the dreadful digital zoom on cameras/camcorders.

If you record straight into a PC with a proper soundcard or interface, you have analog input level controls on the interface (or none, if it has no mic inputs), and the digits are fed straight to your DAW software as is.   Normally that software would not out-of-the-box provide for digital input level control, only monitoring / playback level control.  Similarly, take something like the Korg D888 multitracker - you've got input trim per channel, and everything else (faders, pan, eq, etc etc) only affects monitoring and playback/mixdown.

All these correctly-implemented devices are so set up that analog clipping does not occur before digital clipping, or, digital and analog clipping happen at the same level.  You set the record levels entirely with the input trim controls in the analog domain - there's no point in digitally amplifying on the way to the storage medium, as you can do that safely on playback/mixdown, and if you need to digitally attenuate, well, your analog input is clipping anyway, so that's where you deal with it.

Now in the case of the Edirol R-44, digital gain should be fixed at unity, and the four knobs with concentric rings should adjust the monitoring/playback levels and pan, and analog input trim should be implemented another way.  Maybe by pressing and turning the channel knob, if there's not space for more knobs.  Or in software, with the pushable playback level knob flipping the rest between trim and monitoring functions.  Or with an assignable nudger like the zoom rocker on a camcorder.  Or whatever, it's not hard.

Sure, you could argue that during recording you are merely acquiring data and all you need do it to ensure that levels are correct, and never mind what the overall sound is like at that point.  But there are many scenarios where you do need to keep and ear on the overall sound, and while you could manipulate input levels to get a balance, personally I take the view that all channels should be adequately modulated and then attenuated on playback to achieve the correct relative balance.

So - am I right or am I wrong?  Who here would be taken aback if digital level controls were done away with on their kit?   Does anyone find them irreplaceably useful?
it took me a minute to figure out what you were saying, but I guess I do have to agree with.

However, what I realized after thinking about it and going back to the block diagram's for both the R-44 and the R-4 is that it is highly unlikely that oade/busman will be able to do much with respect to improvements in the analog path to the R-44 because there really isn't all the much going on in the analog path since the gain is being handled digitally. I'd curious to hear what others think. am I totally wrong?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com