Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder  (Read 92240 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder
« Reply #315 on: April 26, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Once the mode is on, it's recording all the time in essence - and eating the batteries a bit faster.

Which is why I usually leave it off. I figure if I ever need a few seconds of pre-record at 24-bit, then I've got bigger problems at that point (like I'm way late), lol...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #316 on: April 26, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
Once the mode is on, it's recording all the time in essence - and eating the batteries a bit faster.

Which is why I usually leave it off. I figure if I ever need a few seconds of pre-record at 24-bit, then I've got bigger problems at that point (like I'm way late), lol...

It's useful for field recording and sampling. When the exact timing of the sound of interest is a little unpredictable.

I'm going to be spending a week in the with an R44 recording nature sounds, looking forward to the pre-record feature  8)

digifish.
- What's this knob do?

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
« Reply #317 on: April 26, 2008, 09:17:58 PM »

- What was on the other end of Chan #3. A mic? Maybe phantom got turned off accidentally? Phantom is individually-switchable per channel on the R44, correct? (a feature I very much welcome).

It was a SBD feed out of a 1/4 output. What's weird and why I thought there was something wrong with the input was that channel 4 was working fine, so I just moved that cable to channel 3 but I still got no signal. I'm thinking maybe the R-44 switch to 1xStereo for some reason. Regardless I tried the RCA outs on my TV today and both channel 3 and 4 worked fine.

Retired Taper

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #318 on: April 27, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »

It's useful for field recording and sampling. When the exact timing of the sound of interest is a little unpredictable.

I'm going to be spending a week in the with an R44 recording nature sounds, looking forward to the pre-record feature  8)

digifish.
Well I guess you just have to put it in rec/pause for long enough to get the levels right. Right?
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
Has anyone found a good bag for the R44 yet? I think the accessory bag is $85 and I'd like to see other options..
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #320 on: April 27, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
My r 44 fits in my sonic bag no prob. Could someone answer my last post, please. I am leaving to NOLA in 11 hrs and just wanted to have it figured out. Thanks
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #321 on: April 27, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »
I have mine in a SoiniCase. It works, but I don't really have access to the top buttons unless I take the R-44 out.

I'm not sure about the Pre-record. Why don't you test it? I know on the 722 if it was on it was pre-recording.
Retired Taper

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #322 on: April 27, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
Of course you have to put it into rec/pause if you want to check levels. But I don't think it needs to actually be in rec/pause to be pre-recording, it's always doing that once you turn on pre-record I believe (could be wrong though). Regardless, all pre-record does is to continuously record a buffer full of audio at the then set levels on the deck -- it couldn't do anything else really.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #323 on: April 27, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »
that's god to know Rick.  Glad it's working now.  And I remember now the only time i've run line in was with RCAs.  I was thinking about the R4 line in with the XLRs.  The recording sounds fine but brickwalled.

About to head to Strait music and pick up a XLR > RCA cable.

R-44 doesn't have RCA ins...

sorry, I was referring to the 671 RCAs.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
I've been testing it out and getting ready for Jazzfest, but how does the pre record work?
Could someone answer my last post, please. I am leaving to NOLA in 11 hrs and just wanted to have it figured out. Thanks
There has to be an explanation as to why picklemic waited about 18 hours for a written answer to a question that would take about one minute to test himself... anyway, good luck with NOLA!

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2008, 05:18:08 AM »
I've got my couple of questions to this big little unit:

1 how long do the batteries last (AA) when recording 4 channels with 48V turned on at 48/24? (been asked before, I know, but I found no answer yet...)

2 how long does it take the R-44 from being powered up/switched on until when the record can actually start?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:21:39 AM by sonidista »

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
With 48/24 and 4 phantoms on regular AAs, I got about 2 1/2 hours...with Eveready ePhoto Lithiums, I get a little over 6 hours at the same recording parameters

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »
I'm still having problems with 16gb cards and 4 X 1 record setup.  First it was with a couple of Transcend cards...now with an A-Data card...at approx 8 minutes into the recording I get a n SD card slow message and the only way to come out of the recording is to either pull a battery or remove the card....

Is anyone else seeing this?   Doesn't appear to manifest itself with stereo X 2 parameter

Offline 98indypacer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
I ordered the R44 from Sweetwater mid February and was told they were expected to ship towards the end of March.  When March came and went I was told 3rd week of April. Up until a few weeks ago the latest date was the end of April.  After checking today I was told June 9th??  :banging head: WTF??

Has anyone in the US received one of these yet?  Has anyone received one from Sweetwater? ???

Thanks, Ed

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
Has anyone in the US received one of these yet?  Has anyone received one from Sweetwater? ???

Thanks, Ed

I did, but I was the 3rd person to order one.
Retired Taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com