Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder  (Read 92069 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2008, 06:05:38 AM »

The more I use the R-44 the more I like it.  Very nice piece of kit.

Agreed, two more pieces of info from me...

1. The headphone jack is amazingly quiet, so quiet I am stunned. The R44 headphone amplifier is a piece of audiophile gear :o

I generated a 1 minute silent wav file...cranked the headphone jack and ... almost nothing, I was straining to hear the difference between max and min volume. So thinking Edirol could be using some form of trickery, I applied -60dB amplification to a 44.1 kHz CD track and loaded it into the R44, cranked the volume - again music now clearly audible, no hiss.

2. Removing SD cards from the R44 is a bit fiddly, it's hard to get your fingers around the card without the top rail of the side interfering. Not going to be fun when you are in a hurry, in the dark.

digifish

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 07:04:02 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »
Resampling of digital input test:-

I recorded 27 minutes from a CD player's digital out into the R-44 digital in.  Then I ripped the CD, and opened up the R-44 version and ripped version in Adobe Audition's multitrack view.  I aligned the waveforms and inverted one channel.  Then I created a mixdown.

The mixdown was substantially silent due to the inversion of identical waveforms.  However, there are occasional spitches of very brief audio where the ripped audio and the recorded audio are briefly different.  This is quite possibly related to errors in the rip.

My understanding of resampling would be that the two versions of the file would gradually drift out of phase, leading to continuous audio in the mixdown after a while.  This does not happen in this test, which appears to indicate that the digital input of the R-44 is not resampled.

If I've gone about this in the wrong way, please let me know.  I can imagine that recording into the R-44 a file already present in the PC via the R-44 digital in, and comparing that with the original already on the PC, would eliminate the spitches of inaccurate samples, but I don't think this is worth the effort unless there is a clamour for me to do so.

kskreider

« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
Ozpeter, try ripping that CD to your hard drive first and then recording it via your sound card digital out into the R-44 digital in.  From there you should be able to dump the R-44 version back on to your hard drive and use EAC's "Compare WAVs" tool to see if they are identical.  That way there are no question about rip errors.  (they can occur but are moot)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »
Time for a new thread?
Retired Taper

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2008, 10:25:04 AM »
Ozpeter, try ripping that CD to your hard drive first and then recording it via your sound card digital out into the R-44 digital in.  From there you should be able to dump the R-44 version back on to your hard drive and use EAC's "Compare WAVs" tool to see if they are identical.  That way there are no question about rip errors.  (they can occur but are moot)
I thought you'd say that... well, maybe tomorrow.

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #365 on: May 02, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »
Thanks for the continual updates digifish.  They're slowly leading me into purchasing a large ticket item.

Just doing my part to help the economy.  ;D

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2008, 02:33:51 PM »
Time for a new thread?

It is time. If someone starts a new one up, I'll lock this one. I'd start one myself, but don't want this under my reply list, as I'm not in the market for a 4 channel recorder.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #367 on: May 02, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »
Time for a new thread?

It is time. If someone starts a new one up, I'll lock this one. I'd start one myself, but don't want this under my reply list, as I'm not in the market for a 4 channel recorder.

Time to move

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103270.0.html
Retired Taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com