Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder  (Read 92270 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
the sweet thing w/these decks is that even if you dont get them MOD'd, it doesn't take much of a preamp in front to really improve things.
a pair of V2s, for example.  Still a pretty tight package.
:)
but here's hoping for the ass whompin' MODs. (AWM).

The question is what the "mic/line" switch does.
In the R4 it just adds a -20dB pad.  it still goes through the same preamp!

Does anyone know what the R4pro does?  Ie., what is the gain structure?
The R4pro is quite different than the regular R4.  Probably it is the predecessor of the R44...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
I don't think there is a mic/line switch on the pro, it's like the r44 with trim/gain controls.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2008, 02:35:40 AM »
I've now had a chance to skim the manual and it does look there are some "gotchas" with this design.

For instance, it doesn't look as if you could record on a stereo pair plus one mono track.  So you'd need to record on four mono tracks.  In that situation, with no monitoring pan controls, it appears that monitoring would therefore be in mono.  Or you'd record on two stereo tracks and waste 25% media space. I can see track assign controls between left, right, and both (centre) but I'm not clear whether that would apply to recording (assigning tracks to stereo channels on record) or playback.  There is a so-called  "mixer" page in the menus but it seems only to relate to playback, not record monitoring.  Ideally, that page would provide record monitoring facilities too, together with pan controls per channel.  On the face of it, that would seem to be the sort of thing that could be fixed in a firmware update.  But as it stands, for the kind of thing I do, the lack of proper monitoring control (unless you take along a monitor mixer too) would be a dealbreaker.  That's a pity.

More than 25 secs of pre-record is pretty cool, though.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
Do I see a pattern here???  oHH oHH   A NEW RECORDER.. This will be the end all of recorders... Everything that came before it is obsolete.  When can we get it...?  (the date slips) I got one...  Oh, there are bugs...  when is that update?  OMG... A new better recorder...
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

easy jim

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
Do I see a pattern here???  oHH oHH   A NEW RECORDER.. This will be the end all of recorders... Everything that came before it is obsolete.  When can we get it...?  (the date slips) I got one...  Oh, there are bugs...  when is that update?  OMG... A new better recorder...

:spin: :yack: QFT

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
I've now had a chance to skim the manual and it does look there are some "gotchas" with this design.

For instance, it doesn't look as if you could record on a stereo pair plus one mono track.  So you'd need to record on four mono tracks.  In that situation, with no monitoring pan controls, it appears that monitoring would therefore be in mono.  Or you'd record on two stereo tracks and waste 25% media space. I can see track assign controls between left, right, and both (centre) but I'm not clear whether that would apply to recording (assigning tracks to stereo channels on record) or playback.  There is a so-called  "mixer" page in the menus but it seems only to relate to playback, not record monitoring.  Ideally, that page would provide record monitoring facilities too, together with pan controls per channel.  On the face of it, that would seem to be the sort of thing that could be fixed in a firmware update.  But as it stands, for the kind of thing I do, the lack of proper monitoring control (unless you take along a monitor mixer too) would be a dealbreaker.  That's a pity.

More than 25 secs of pre-record is pretty cool, though.

This is no different than the R4 or R4 Pro, and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter much. Only reason why I "monitor" at all is just to make sure nothing terrible is wrong, other than that, check the levels and deal with it when you get home. It is too bad you can mix a line out on the fly, but no biggy really considering the price and 4 channels with pres/phaontom, there aren't a whole lot of options in that camp, not even the 744. So, as a pretty hardcore R4 user, this thing just looks like a smaller pro version with flash based memory for less money. What's not to like? Surely not perfect, just like the R4s aren't, but surely this thing will be sweet. And with two of them, that's a pretty damn mobile 8-chan multi rig (for less than half of a 744 no doubt!) considering you could handle 8 line or mic-level signals, with or without phantom, on 1/4" or XLR. Crazy.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
This is no different than the R4 or R4 Pro, and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter much. Only reason why I "monitor" at all is just to make sure nothing terrible is wrong, other than that, check the levels and deal with it when you get home. It is too bad you can mix a line out on the fly, but no biggy really considering the price and 4 channels with pres/phaontom, there aren't a whole lot of options in that camp, not even the 744. So, as a pretty hardcore R4 user, this thing just looks like a smaller pro version with flash based memory for less money. What's not to like? Surely not perfect, just like the R4s aren't, but surely this thing will be sweet. And with two of them, that's a pretty damn mobile 8-chan multi rig (for less than half of a 744 no doubt!) considering you could handle 8 line or mic-level signals, with or without phantom, on 1/4" or XLR. Crazy.

Agreed. Also depends on your planned use. I will get one so I can record 2 stereo pairs, no need to make difficult stereo-mic choices any more. I will be recording in Card and Omni everywhere. BUT I only have one MixPre so it will be a decision which mic gets the R-44 preamps :)

EDIT: Actually I have thought of another question...how long do you wait for all the production issues to be sorted before you buy one? 6 months? Who am I kidding...I will be lining up on day 1.

digifish
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:36:46 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2008, 12:27:29 AM »

;D indeed.

However this is a significant step in the right direction. Things I like a lot -

4 independent channels (linkable to stereo pairs).
4 independent phantom switches.
Pre-record buffer.

There is not much wrong with this on paper. All that remains to be seen for me is how good the internal mic pres are and internal battery life. WRT the pres, I am sure they will be good enough for 95% of what I do (which is field recording).

digifish.
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2008, 06:51:37 AM »
I'd accept that the monitoring issue would very much depend on how you are working.  Typically I'd be recording out of earshot so all I'd hear would be the sound of the recorder, and sitting through a long symphony orchestral concert, possibly with a puzzled producer beside me, with mono monitoring or worse, would be a no-no.  Also, during a performance I'm getting a feel for balance so that in post-production I'm not having to think that out from scratch.  And, I usually run a stereo media backup from the monitor mix, and a half-baked stereo mix is of no use at all for backup.

Others might well not run into these issues at all.  It just seems to me that it wouldn't have been that hard or expensive for them to have addressed the monitoring issue and widened their market to people who need normal balancable stereo monitoring during recording.  Hopefully they read here...

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
Is anyone currently  taking pre-orders for the R-44?
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »
I'd accept that the monitoring issue would very much depend on how you are working.  Typically I'd be recording out of earshot so all I'd hear would be the sound of the recorder, and sitting through a long symphony orchestral concert, possibly with a puzzled producer beside me, with mono monitoring or worse, would be a no-no.  Also, during a performance I'm getting a feel for balance so that in post-production I'm not having to think that out from scratch.  And, I usually run a stereo media backup from the monitor mix, and a half-baked stereo mix is of no use at all for backup.

Others might well not run into these issues at all.  It just seems to me that it wouldn't have been that hard or expensive for them to have addressed the monitoring issue and widened their market to people who need normal balancable stereo monitoring during recording.  Hopefully they read here...

Then this probably ain't the recorder for you (nor is the R4 or R4 Pro because they behave the exact same way for monitoring), but then again for that kind of work I'd think you'd be looking for something completely different. But what do I know?

From what I can tell this is simply an R4 Pro in a smaller form factor with solid state memory, ability to record digi/analog at the same time (we think), all four channels with their own RCA outs, and the ability to link two units together.

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »
I think this is going to be the box for me.
Any way I add it up, I'll be spending at least this much on either this box, or a smaller box with mods or a d50 + a pre.
this would give me far more out-of box capability than anything else out there for the $$.

For the moment, I'm funneling my saving toward an r-44. Things oughta fall into place just in time for its release, too.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Roving Sign

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
I think this is going to be the box for me.
Any way I add it up, I'll be spending at least this much on either this box, or a smaller box with mods or a d50 + a pre.
this would give me far more out-of box capability than anything else out there for the $$.

For the moment, I'm funneling my saving toward an r-44. Things oughta fall into place just in time for its release, too.

Im already finding four track recording to be way too much of a PITA...post-production wise...So - Im just about back to two track.

Unless this thing can measure up to a stock Fostex FR2-LE - preamp-wise - forget it...No way Im getting a unit that has to be "modded" just to give it basic functionality...

Not knocking the modders - but I like to think of mods as taking something that works well - like the Fostex FR2-LE and making it better...not taking something that is basically useless stock and making it useful once modded.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2008, 09:25:48 AM »
Im already finding four track recording to be way too much of a PITA...post-production wise...So - Im just about back to two track.

Unless this thing can measure up to a stock Fostex FR2-LE - preamp-wise - forget it...No way Im getting a unit that has to be "modded" just to give it basic functionality...

Not knocking the modders - but I like to think of mods as taking something that works well - like the Fostex FR2-LE and making it better...not taking something that is basically useless stock and making it useful once modded.
the previous edirol units (r-4 and r-44) are far from useless without modification.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com