Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Recorder: Edirol R-44 (available 4/08)  (Read 14214 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Recorder: Edirol R-44 (available 4/08)
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
The block diagram shows that the line out goes through an AD/DA cycle. You would think that it would be a cost savings to them if they made the line out come directly from the pres before they AD stage. It also looks like the Digi out is a summation of all 4 channels.

It looks interesting. I will be staying tuned to see how this all pans out. For the time being, i'm pretty happy with my busman most FR2-LE

You still need D>A>RCA signal path for playback. Analog pass thru would mean an extra signal path - so probably not cost a cost savings.

Plus one of the gain controls is digital.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »
i read somewhere that the 1/8 sync does not ness mean both units will start recording at the same exact time/point

From Edirol:

Capture eight channels by linking two units

The Control Sync terminal enables synchronized operation of 2 units. Control the second unit from the master by simply connecting two with a stereo mini cable. The master unit can remotely control REC standby, REC start and REC stop of the slave unit.  This function enables 8-channel recording in a compact space and at an affordable price.
also from them...
stereo mini type jack
word clock control sync start/stop remote control of 2 unit
remote start does not guarantee the exact same rec start times

so although its prob small, if using it to try and word clock sources it could be off
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
The block diagram shows that the line out goes through an AD/DA cycle. You would think that it would be a cost savings to them if they made the line out come directly from the pres before they AD stage. It also looks like the Digi out is a summation of all 4 channels.

It looks interesting. I will be staying tuned to see how this all pans out. For the time being, i'm pretty happy with my busman most FR2-LE

You still need D>A>RCA signal path for playback. Analog pass thru would mean an extra signal path - so probably not cost a cost savings.

Plus one of the gain controls is digital.

good point. This does seem to be the norm now anyhow. It also seems that these DA paths are getting better in quality. I recorded a show with my FR2-LE and also ran RCA out into my Edirol R1. The R1s recording surprisingly sounded very good.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 11:52:27 PM »
also from them...
stereo mini type jack
word clock control sync start/stop remote control of 2 unit
remote start does not guarantee the exact same rec start times

so although its prob small, if using it to try and word clock sources it could be off

As long as the word clocks sync, exact same rec start/stop times isn't a big deal in my book.  Easy enough to align a single time in post.  But if the word clocks are off...no fun syncing up different clocks in post.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 01:32:32 AM »
The block diagram seems to imply that there is no control over monitoring apart from the headphone level (so to get a monitor mix you'd have to run the line-outs into an external mixer - not a neat solution) and that the limiter is in the digital domain and therefore close to useless.  Pity.  Or am I wrong?

Roving Sign

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
The block diagram seems to imply that there is no control over monitoring apart from the headphone level (so to get a monitor mix you'd have to run the line-outs into an external mixer - not a neat solution) and that the limiter is in the digital domain and therefore close to useless.  Pity.  Or am I wrong?

I would guess you can listen to either track set seperatley. - the tracks are meant to be put together in post...so as long as you are properly recording each channel - should be no problem - Its not like you making a mix on the fly - so I cant see the use of a "monitor mix"

I dont see a problem with a digital limiter - not uncommon. Note the "level" control is digital as well - only the "sensitivity" control is analog.

Roving Sign

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
Bumping this thread since I more or less decimated the flow on the other...sorry... :-\

kskreider

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2008, 04:50:15 PM »
thread marker

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 12:26:10 AM »
I dont see a problem with a digital limiter - not uncommon. Note the "level" control is digital as well - only the "sensitivity" control is analog.

Well it's as good as a compression plugin being used in post for limiting, but isn't it utterly useless in the field for protecting against clipping? If I use the limiter in a MixPre/FP24, I can actually prevent clipping, if I use the limiter in an R44, the only thing that can truly prevent clipping is the sensitivity knob isn't it? Sure you can limit after getting the sens knob right, but I can do that in my NLE after-the-fact with way more control, so why would anyone ever bother using it?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2008, 05:26:36 AM »

Well it's as good as a compression plugin being used in post for limiting, but isn't it utterly useless in the field for protecting against clipping? If I use the limiter in a MixPre/FP24, I can actually prevent clipping, if I use the limiter in an R44, the only thing that can truly prevent clipping is the sensitivity knob isn't it? Sure you can limit after getting the sens knob right, but I can do that in my NLE after-the-fact with way more control, so why would anyone ever bother using it?

I strongly suspect the block diagram is drawn incorrectly. In the manual, they say:

"This switch turns the input level limiter on/off in the analog circuitry. The limiter compresses the input level appropriately to prevent distortion when the input level is too high. The limiter can be set to operate each channel independently or to be used in combination with channels
(linked). For details, refer to “Limiter link” (p. 68)."

and

"Limiter Turn this ON if you want to prevent unexpectedly loud sounds or strong attacks from producing clipped noise. The limiter threshold is -10 dB relative to digital full scale. The limiter can group and link each channel. See Limiter link (p. 68)."

and

"Limiter Turn this OFF when recording an audio source whose levels have already been adjusted (in contrast to a live audio source whose levels might change unpredictably), or if you have already checked the maximum volume levels that are going to occur. Turn this ON if you need to prevent clipping (distortion) caused by unexpected loud volumes or strong attacks."

and

"The Limiter, Low Cut and Input level knob[SENS] settings are invalid for digital input"...

So according to that it's Pre A/D...and it makes more sense the block diagram is wrong than the limiter is post A/D. Same goes for the low-pass filter.

digifish
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:35:58 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »
If that's true, that's just stupid (that they have drawn it wrong). Not sure which one I trust actually (the diagram or the manual).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »
If that's true, that's just stupid (that they have drawn it wrong). Not sure which one I trust actually (the diagram or the manual).

I have just asked Edirol about it. Will report back.

digifish. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:11:57 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com