Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 7241 times)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
Every laptop is different, but mine is around the same age and specs as yours (Dell XPS m1210) and it was a night and day difference. I even went with the 'value' line from Intel. Get it from Newegg and try it for a few days and return it if you are not pleased. I am fairly confident you will love it though. As mentioned, I will never look back when it comes to an OS drive. Mine is super fast...almost double.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:47 AM »
Mine's a desktop, though.  And I'm using about 58GB in the C:\ drive, which includes Win7 and programs.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:22:45 AM by spyder9 »

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
I got one in my desktop too. Exact same model. :P

Windows 7 OS installation will take about 20GB so you will be left with approximately that much for programs. Of course, you could always go for the 80GB version that is slightly more expensive, but better performance. I think this is the one Dave got...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Well I had problems with the full installation to Windows 7 with the new SSD so I stayed with XP and just did a clean install of XP on the SSD.  The PC boots up superquick and is equally as quick opening and closing programs.  Overall I'm happy with the new setup, but will have to make the jump to Windows 7 at some point soon.  Right now, I'm content.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
settling for less, how very FOCKER esque ;-)

as much as i love it, honestly struggling to be able to burn dvd-a's.  innis is trying to teach me how to run xp, within win7, so i can use older programs.  stay tuned

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:58 PM »
I've been milking the last days out of my old PC and it's time to make the change. I have XP now but am considering the switch to Windows 7 on a new PC (or laptop). I still want to be able to transfer files from Creative JB3s and to use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (neither of which appear to work on Windows 7). But I've heard that Window 7 Professional has a virtual XP mode to run old XP compatible programs.

So.... anybody out there had success using Creative Playcenter and/or Cool Edit Pro 2.0 on Windows 7/Virtual XP mode?

I don't wanna blow a bunch of cash and find out the answer is no.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »
I've been milking the last days out of my old PC and it's time to make the change. I have XP now but am considering the switch to Windows 7 on a new PC (or laptop). I still want to be able to transfer files from Creative JB3s and to use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (neither of which appear to work on Windows 7). But I've heard that Window 7 Professional has a virtual XP mode to run old XP compatible programs.

So.... anybody out there had success using Creative Playcenter and/or Cool Edit Pro 2.0 on Windows 7/Virtual XP mode?

I wouldn't bother with Win 7 pro and XP Mode. If you're only going to use it for JB3 transfers/old software I'd run XP in Sun/Oracle Virtualbox (free OS visualization that works great).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
I had my old xp desktop for 6 yrs and finally bit the bullet and went all out for a gaming desktop. 
I decided to play it safe and purchase this build from ibuypower and I haven't had any issues at all so far. 

Core i7 930 2.8GHz cpu
2xAti 5770 videocards running in Crossfire
Kingston 64GB SSD
WD 6gb SATA-3 1TB HDD
6GB DDR 1333MHz ram
850W corsair PSU
fancy gaming case with 6 ridiculous fans
card reader
dvd burner
Windows 7 64 bit.

This new pc simply flies, its insane.  I installed WoW in 20 minutes (on my old desktop it took hours).  Like others, win 7 loads up in 30 seconds and firefox is instant, on my old desktop ff would take like a minute or two to load up.  I haven't done any audio editing of any kind, but when I do I imagine it'll be a breeze pulling up wav files to edit.  I'm simply content getting sick fps in games.   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »

I wouldn't bother with Win 7 pro and XP Mode. If you're only going to use it for JB3 transfers/old software I'd run XP in Sun/Oracle Virtualbox (free OS visualization that works great).

I intend to use the PC for many other things too. But I need to be able to use it with the JB3 and CEP too.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »

I run Windows 7 32 bit.  Never had a problem with any of my old programs since the switch.  Adobe Audition 3 runs fine too.  However, most issues with older programs is when you go 64 bit.  All I know is I'm never going back to XP.    ;)   

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 10:52:09 AM »
settling for less, how very FOCKER esque ;-)

as much as i love it, honestly struggling to be able to burn dvd-a's.  innis is trying to teach me how to run xp, within win7, so i can use older programs.  stay tuned
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
Does Foobar work on Win 7 64?
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com