Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop > Headphones -- Getting Decent Volume  (Read 6041 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Laptop > Headphones -- Getting Decent Volume
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
When I'm on the road trying to process a recording in the hotel room after a show, I can't get anywhere near decent volume from my laptop through my HD280 Pro headphones.  Once I increase the volume above about 50% on the laptop's mixer, I get nothing but distortion.  To resolve this, do I need to use a USB soundcard in place of the onboard audio and headphone jack, or do I simply need a headphone amplifier to put in between?
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Laptop > Headphones -- Getting Decent Volume
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »
I think a headphone amp would be sufficient enough. Even the altoids amp and an 1/8" male to male cable will be good enough to give the headphones more power.
If the motherboards internal amp sucks, it would only be magnified--to to speak--with an amp.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
I think a headphone amp would be sufficient enough. Even the altoids amp and an 1/8" male to male cable will be good enough to give the headphones more power.
If the motherboards internal amp sucks, it would only be magnified--to to speak--with an amp.

yeah, some form of a headphone amp is in order, whether its a DAC/amp or just an amp.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
Another option (if you don't want to carry around an extra box) would be to trade in your current headphones for some lower impedance phones. Those HD280's are 64ohm. I use the ATH-M50's which are 38ohm and I keep the volume around 2/3 to 3/4 of the max. It is plenty loud enough....too loud in some cases.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »
Another option (if you don't want to carry around an extra box) would be to trade in your current headphones for some lower impedance phones. Those HD280's are 64ohm. I use the ATH-M50's which are 38ohm and I keep the volume around 2/3 to 3/4 of the max. It is plenty loud enough....too loud in some cases.

I thought about that, but then I read on the web that some people with headphones in the 300 ohm range were advised to get lower impedance phones (in the 30-40 ohm range) AND an amp.  I figured if going from 300 ohms to 30 ohms isn't enough by itself, will I see much of an improvement going from 64 ohms to 30 ohms without also adding an amp?

And on the subject of amps, anybody know enough about them to be able to recommend a decent one?  I'm not looking for superb quality -- just a healthy volume boost without losing any quality.  For example, the FiiO E5 is only about $20 and has pretty good reviews on Amazon.  Do I need anything more expensive than that?

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
I thought about that, but then I read on the web that some people with headphones in the 300 ohm range were advised to get lower impedance phones (in the 30-40 ohm range) AND an amp.  I figured if going from 300 ohms to 30 ohms isn't enough by itself, will I see much of an improvement going from 64 ohms to 30 ohms without also adding an amp?

I don't know about that....I'd like to see the source of that info. I learned way back when I was doing car stereo stuff that when you cut the impedance in half the output wattage should theoretically be doubled. This doubling doesn't always happen due to power supply issues which I don't quite understand. However, you will most likely get at least a 50% increase in output as going from 64 to 38ohms obviously is not half....but you get the idea.

That said, I guess the headphone amp will be less noisy than the direct output from the laptop but I do have to say that my Macbook's output is quieter than you'd think.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
However, you will most likely get at least a 50% increase in output as going from 64 to 38ohms obviously is not half....but you get the idea.

True, that will affect it, but there is also a sensitivity rating to keep in mind which may or may not correlate to impedance.

That said, I guess the headphone amp will be less noisy than the direct output from the laptop but I do have to say that my Macbook's output is quieter than you'd think.

I agree that the macbook's out isn't bad, but it's far from great in my experience for headphones.

I'm not looking for superb quality -- just a healthy volume boost without losing any quality.  For example, the FiiO E5 is only about $20 and has pretty good reviews on Amazon.  Do I need anything more expensive than that?

Na, that or one of the mint/altoid-style amps should be sufficient.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
My inclination is to bypass the laptop’s internal sound completely and get a USB sound interface.  I think the laptop manufacturers spend about $0.50 on audio.  My first laptop’s audio would distort when the level approached 0 dBFS, regardless of the headphone volume.  Getting a USB audio interface cleared up the problem.

You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get decent USB audio.  This is what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Cakewalk-UA-1G-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B0021HUHEO

I use Sennheiser HD280 ‘phones too and the above unit will play plenty loud and clean.  I’m sure there are other USB audio interfaces that would work just as well and perhaps for less money.

Of course, you could always get this:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm

Which I’m sure would give you acceptable headphone sound from your laptop.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm

Which I’m sure would give you acceptable headphone sound from your laptop.

From personal experience:
The Good: It is loud.
The Bad: Has noticable hiss (most likely due to impedance mismatch).

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'm intrigued by the better quality that one of the USB sound cards would offer, but I'm going to try the $20 amp first.  If it doesn't satisfy me, then I've only wasted $20.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
I just bought this.... I run 280s also and this is the best 99 dollars I ever spent for laptop/headphone sound. Don't just make crap sound louder....
http://www.focusrite.com/products/vrm/vrm_box/

I mix on my cans... This makes ALL the difference
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »
I just bought this.... I run 280s also and this is the best 99 dollars I ever spent for laptop/headphone sound. Don't just make crap sound louder....
http://www.focusrite.com/products/vrm/vrm_box/

I mix on my cans... This makes ALL the difference

I wondered about that. had my eyes on the one from SPL in Germany but at like 15X the price. Anything you regret about it?

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »
I regret nothing.... It is the shit.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com