Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any way to fix mic overload in Audacity?  (Read 5635 times)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
Any way to fix mic overload in Audacity?
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »
I taped a show at a street fest yesterday and had to set the level on my amp and then toss it in my backpack.  I didn't really clip much the whole show, but the bass was just too much.  I was right next to the speaker because I was up front shooting photos as well.  A lot of the time there is clipped bass crackle because of the sheer force of it.  Is there a filter that works well for this in Audacity or am I just screwed?  Thanks.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
Re: Any way to fix mic overload in Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
the problem recording is Mike Doughty, who came on before Soul Asylum.  I could tell I overloaded MD, so I cut the amp a bit for SA.  Even so, their recording sounds much cleaner in general.  I think MD's sound guy just distorted the bass too much initially anyway, seemed like it to me live.  :sigh:
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
I taped a show at a street fest yesterday and had to set the level on my amp and then toss it in my backpack.  I didn't really clip much the whole show, but the bass was just too much.  I was right next to the speaker because I was up front shooting photos as well.  A lot of the time there is clipped bass crackle because of the sheer force of it.  Is there a filter that works well for this in Audacity or am I just screwed?  Thanks.

You can try just EQing down the low frequencies, but for actual clipping, I don't find that usually does much.  The other thing you can try and do is play around with compression that emphasizes the non-distorted frequencies.  I'm not sure that would work, but it seems like it plausibly could.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »

You can try just EQing down the low frequencies, but for actual clipping, I don't find that usually does much.  The other thing you can try and do is play around with compression that emphasizes the non-distorted frequencies.  I'm not sure that would work, but it seems like it plausibly could.

Thats what I'd do. Clip restoring functions are hit and miss and depend on the plugin and the clip in question.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com