Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new iMac  (Read 6890 times)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
new iMac
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
Well, took the plunge and got away from PC's and bought a 27" iMac.....Now, what programs do you folks use for editing shows you've recorded.  I am used to Sony Soundforge, and the usual, cd wav, audacity, traders little helper, etc.

PM or email me, and let me know what you all think is the best.

Thanks in advance!!

karl/wheresjerry
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Online H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new iMac
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
I use WaveLab 7 SE

Since Audacity resamples everything I stay away.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
i use audacity
never seemed to have a problem
you need xact too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
what I like

consumer grade: felttip sound studio or audacity

pro grade: dsp-quattro or wave editor

actually I prefer wavelab 6 (pee-cee) for my critical mastering  :-\  but dsp-quattro is probably my favorite and they are actually having a decent promotional price right now. Maybe I should try wavelab 7

i wish tc-electronics still made spark. its a great editor that I still use from time to time on my older macs

second the requirement of xact
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
I use WaveLab 7 SE

Resamples?

It does import at a higher bitrate - and exports with dither...(if you choose) but is that the same as resampling?

I thought resampling was a complete A>D>A>D roundtrip...?

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »
i use audacity
you need xact too

I think Audacity's biggest flaw is you're wed to their dither algos...not sure what they are...but I know some are not fans...

But it would be cool if you could use the dither engine of your choice with that product...like a R8brain plugin...

I know you can defeat dither - so maybe it just adds another step to dither your way...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:05:01 PM »
Check the stickied post "Readme1st" for a list threads with commonly asked questions (and answers), including one on commonly used audio editors.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Online H₂O

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »
I use WaveLab 7 SE

Resamples?

It does import at a higher bitrate - and exports with dither...(if you choose) but is that the same as resampling?

I thought resampling was a complete A>D>A>D roundtrip...?

You cannot disable resampling - everything is automatically resampled to the project sample rate.  So if you open a 48Khz file in a 44.1 Khz empty project your file is resampled when you export.

Resampling simply means converting from one sampling rate to another and has nothing to do with A > D > A > D.  It is running the file through an algorythm to change from 48 Khz to 44.1 Khz or other rate.

I am not a fan of a program where you cannot easily control of these options.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
Come join us on the Team Mac forum.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
You cannot disable resampling - everything is automatically resampled to the project sample rate.  So if you open a 48Khz file in a 44.1 Khz empty project your file is resampled when you export.

Seems like the obvious solution is to not open a file of sample rate A in a project of sample rate B.  Just make sure they match; this is very easy to do.  (While an easy answer, I suspect your IF is simply one example of perhaps many).

Not sure why one would want to open a file of Sample Rate A in a project of Sample Rate B, unless one intends to mix two sources of different sample rates - in which case the mixed down file will always have a single sample rate, anyway:  A, B, or C (i.e. different from either of the source files).  How else would an app mix down two sources of differing sample rate except via sample rate conversion?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.  Hmmm.

To the best of my recollection (admittedly vague at this point, since I've not used some of them in a long time), every audio editor I've used (Audacity, CEP/Audition, Samplitude SE, can't recall with great confidence in Wavelab or Reaper) requires the audio file sample rate to match the project sample rate.
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
i use audacity
you need xact too

I think Audacity's biggest flaw is you're wed to their dither algos...not sure what they are...but I know some are not fans...

But it would be cool if you could use the dither engine of your choice with that product...like a R8brain plugin...

I know you can defeat dither - so maybe it just adds another step to dither your way...
High-quality Dither - Controls how Audacity dithers when exporting to WAV (see Uncompressed Export Format below).  For example, if one edits a file in the 32-bit realm and wants to export to a 16-bit WAV, this setting controls which dithering scheme Audacity employs when dithering from 32-bit to 16-bit.  Note:  It's important to set this value properly because Audacity -always- dithers, even if the Project and Export WAV sample formats are the same.  So if the Project and Export WAV sample formats are the same, set this value to None so Audacity does not dither needlessly.

thats what i do
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
Wave Editor  & xACT
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Online H₂O

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »

Seems like the obvious solution is to not open a file of sample rate A in a project of sample rate B.  Just make sure they match; this is very easy to do.  (While an easy answer, I suspect your IF is simply one example of perhaps many).

Not sure why one would want to open a file of Sample Rate A in a project of Sample Rate B, unless one intends to mix two sources of different sample rates - in which case the mixed down file will always have a single sample rate, anyway:  A, B, or C (i.e. different from either of the source files).  How else would an app mix down two sources of differing sample rate except via sample rate conversion?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.  Hmmm.

To the best of my recollection (admittedly vague at this point, since I've not used some of them in a long time), every audio editor I've used (Audacity, CEP/Audition, Samplitude SE, can't recall with great confidence in Wavelab or Reaper) requires the audio file sample rate to match the project sample rate.

In Wavelab and ever other program I have used you first open a file then apply resampling to it through either a process command or in Wavelab you have to "render" it into the file - to me this is more intuiitve 
LMA Recordings

List

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »
Wave Editor  & xACT

I'm using Audacity right now, but I'm thinking of trying Reaper out based on positive reviews here. Any thoughts on Wave Editor vs. Reaper?
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »
In Wavelab and ever other program I have used you first open a file then apply resampling to it through either a process command or in Wavelab you have to "render" it into the file - to me this is more intuiitve

In Audacity, Export to Audio is, effectively the same as "render" from Wavelab (or Mixdown from SAM, or...).  I guess I don't see the distinction.  Poor menu wording, perhaps, but as far as I can tell, essentially the same workflow.  I have plenty of issues with Audacity (which is why I no longer use it), but I struggle to see how this feature is fundamentally different from any other app using the render / mixdown concept to perform sample rate conversion.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com