Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S Decode in Post?  (Read 8448 times)

Offline sickrick43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
M/S Decode in Post?
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:30:32 PM »

Wanna try some M/S recording with the 744, but don't want to configure for M/S since I won't be able to accurately monitor the blend during the recording.

Got just about every audio proggie for the PC (soundforge, wavelab, samplitude, audacity)- which one has M/S mixing functions?  I
supposed I could run it analog through the V3, but I don't want to introduce an analog generation (obviously).

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
Re: M/S Decode in Post?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:59:01 PM »
wavelab has a plugin called "toolsone" under the VST plugins.  that will handle your m/s matrixing.  i think you want to invert your side channel (which should be the right channel).  you'll have to set up a batch process to render the new file after you get the settings how you want them.

good luck!  PM me if you have any more questions.
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:11:37 PM »
Assuming you didn't have a matrix plugin, couldn't you make a copy of the figure 8 track, invert the phase on one of them and then pan the tracks hard left and right? Then you'd have two tracks (L&R of the side mic) and the one mid track? Probably harder to control this way, but I think it would work in a pinch?

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »
Assuming you didn't have a matrix plugin, couldn't you make a copy of the figure 8 track, invert the phase on one of them and then pan the tracks hard left and right? Then you'd have two tracks (L&R of the side mic) and the one mid track? Probably harder to control this way, but I think it would work in a pinch?

yeah, this would work.  you have to pan the non-inverted one to the left and the inverted one to the right (assuming you had the negative side of the capsule facing right).  then to finish it off, you take the mid channel and mix it on top of both of these single channel recordins using the same ratio for both and you get one M+L and one M+R (which is actually M-(-R) )
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 10:19:18 PM »
I use Waves S1 Imager plugin with Wave Lab.

Also, I believe the 744 (& 722) have a built in m/s monitor function with the headphone output.  You can record discrete M & S channels, but it will do a 50/50 m/s>stereo mix to the headphone output so you can get an idea of what you're recording.  You'll have to dig into the manual for more details, but I think SonicSound did this when recording m/s at AllGood a few months back.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:22:24 PM »
I use Waves S1 Imager plugin with Wave Lab.

where is this plugin?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 11:17:36 PM »
I think SF can do it natively. I forget how, but search the help file -- pretty sure it's built in somewhere...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 12:05:10 AM »
I think SF can do it natively. I forget how, but search the help file -- pretty sure it's built in somewhere...

Right you are.  Pan/Expand off the process menu.  Also have the Waves S1 Imager plugin that will work in sampllitude (which I use to bring in the whole 96/24 tracks, process and dither down to 16 bit), but that seems less "intuitive" than the soundforge one.  Guess I'll have to go out and record a "throwaway" to play with before going out and trying it on a "keeper".

On the TLM-170, I'm assuming the front of the mic (in figure 8) goes to the left side, and rear to the right?  I've done blum a number of times from onstage, but in the room, too much close crowd on the rear lobes - especially in venue's where the floor goes up and 5 rows back may end up higher than 6/7' mic height - so you've got folks chatting directly into your rear pattern.

I know Ratdogs sound guy runs M/S from FOH (which I would think unusual, due to how far back he is).

I was just thinking of giving it a try, just to see if there's a major difference between M/S & Blum in the final output...

Thanks for the input guys...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »
yeah, the front of the lobe will face left.  this will make the M/S decoders work like they were planned.  if you mess it up, its not hard to fix, but the plugins are all designed for the left side to be positive and the right side to be negative.

+t and good luck!

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 12:43:33 AM »
Soundforge does it.  It is really easy.

another question for Neumann ak 20 users.  Which side does the "figure 8 - 20" logo face while recording?  Left or right?
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »
Soundforge does it.  It is really easy.

another question for Neumann ak 20 users.  Which side does the "figure 8 - 20" logo face while recording?  Left or right?

the 20 faces the left.  that is the front of the cap.  if you look at my avitar, the 20 is on the closed side of the mount.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »
any mac users in the house..? have any of you folks used the matrix+ plugin..? i am stuck usinig an ibook for the forseeable future, so i will need to be using audacity to do this...

weird thing is, it seems like the plugin makes the left channel louder than the right. it isnt a big deal to boost the right channel a few db's, but this shouldnt be necessary. shouldnt both channels be of equal amplitude..? or was i just enough off center that it shows up dramatically in the end...?

tia
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 10:47:29 AM »
yeah, the front of the lobe will face left.  this will make the M/S decoders work like they were planned.  if you mess it up, its not hard to fix, but the plugins are all designed for the left side to be positive and the right side to be negative.

+t and good luck!

:o

it looks to me like on my akg c422, the front lobe of the fig 8 faces right.  i am assuming that the side with the leds is the front...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 06:34:04 PM »
i'm pretty sure that the front of the lobe is always going to face left.

m/s formulas are M+L and M-R, so if they were reversed, the summing formulas will be all messed up.

can't you turn the fig 8 180 degrees on that thing?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 06:37:38 PM by BWolf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com