Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To reduce bass or to not reduce bass?  (Read 7072 times)

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: To reduce bass or to not reduce bass?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
driving bass is what makes live shows.
leave it and know your equiptment and clip levels and surf the waves.
mics will swallow it up no probs.

but its not my call, its yours
many people have good hp that can handle the truth.

g

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 01:32:53 AM »
The settings are completely dependent on the material being compressed.  Set a fast attack and moderate release, the threshold and makeup gains are dependent on the material.  It's easier to just use a limiter and set it to get a decent final output, RMS around -6dB or whatever you like.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 05:00:59 AM »
good thread.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »
I have been using a roll-off fairly frequently, especially in smaller venues with hyperactive subwoofers.  Even with a mild roll-off, the waveform drops down to barely above -18db, meaning to me, that the bulk of the sound being picked up, and affecting the setting of our levels, is coming from the low end.  I find that it can dramatically clear up boomy recordings in acoustically challenged rooms as well.  I usually copy and paste sections from a few songs onto a new page in SF and then try different settings, as they process much quicker than the entire file.  Once I figure out what I like, I go back and apply it to the entire file.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline junonato

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »
I have been using a roll-off fairly frequently, especially in smaller venues with hyperactive subwoofers.  Even with a mild roll-off, the waveform drops down to barely above -18db, meaning to me, that the bulk of the sound being picked up, and affecting the setting of our levels, is coming from the low end.  I find that it can dramatically clear up boomy recordings in acoustically challenged rooms as well.  I usually copy and paste sections from a few songs onto a new page in SF and then try different settings, as they process much quicker than the entire file.  Once I figure out what I like, I go back and apply it to the entire file.

well said, i have been using rolloff for onstage recordings as of late and it seems that it works well to drown the low end a bit, while keeping the high end and horns quite nicely!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 04:53:51 PM »
 I usually kick down the 150-200Hz frequencies by about 5-6db.  I find those frequencies when knocked down clean up my recordings dramatically.  Don't do it for all of them, but most of my recordings I will EQ slightly.  Over time I've found that less is more.  Usually, what you leave the venue with on tape is what you got, but you can improve a lot tapes with a gentle EQ and compressor IMO.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »
I had crazy bass with my setup and didn't quite like the results.  starting running X-Y, instead of ORTF, and I don't have to touch a thing in the post now.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com