Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fried Drive help  (Read 4635 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
Fried Drive help
« on: February 10, 2005, 11:44:33 AM »
Last night I was trying to get Wavelab to recognize my dvd burner so I was playing around with the jumpers on the back of my two drives, one - cdr, one dvdr.  After the first attempt didn't work, I opened up the box without turning it off, which I know wasn't the brightest thing to do.  However, I figured if I just unplugged the power cable from the drives, I'd be fine.  Long story short, I switched the jumpers on the back and plugged the master drive (dvdr) back in with no problem.  I attempted to plug the slave drive in but plugged the cable in upside down.  The result was a small spark and the computer went into protect mode of some sort.  I powered down, then rebooted and got a system prompt saying that it didn't detect drive 0 or drive 1 (or something of that nature) and to press F1 to continue.  Windose booted up and all seemed fine... but when I checked to see if the drives were recognized, nothing showed up.  I then did a system restore to earlier in the day and got the same prompt before XP ran its course.  Then I went to bed... 

Also, the dvdr drive still has power as it would eject the tray when the open/close button is pushed.  I didn't check the slave drive though.

Help!?!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Fried Drive help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 11:54:09 AM »
i would think that if it still gets power that is a good thing. either try the drives in a known good machine or reload your desktop and *maybe* it will recognize them.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 11:58:58 AM »
I'd

a) power down the pc and unplug its power cord, then

b) unplug the slave (cdrom) drive entirely (both power cable and ide cable), then

c) confirm that the master drive (dvd) is set to master, then

d) plug everything in and reboot the pc -- if the dvd drive and/or the ide channel for the drives is not damaged, the computer should recognize the dvd drive.

If the dvd drive is recognized, you could try turning off the pc and re-configuring the cd drive as a slave drive (and plugging back in all of its cables) and see if it too will be recognized.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 12:04:15 PM »
You most likely fried the ide controller chip on that channel. Swap the ide cables so the hard drives are on the channel that the burner was on.

just go into your system bios and see what it detects. This is not an os problem, it is strictly hardware.

If the hd's don't get detected, then that is the problem.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline wboswell

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 12:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Part of my struggle is determining how to set the drive to slave/master.  The "peg" can be placed on either of three pairs of prongs- cable select, slave, and master.  Which pair of prongs do I put the white peg over to set the drive to slave or master?

Thanks for helping the idiot

Offline wboswell

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 12:06:24 PM »
You most likely fried the ide controller chip on that channel. Swap the ide cables so the hard drives are on the channel that the burner was on.

just go into your system bios and see what it detects. This is not an os problem, it is strictly hardware.

If the hd's don't get detected, then that is the problem.

JAson

Is it easy to replace the IDE controller chip (should that be the problem)?  I assumed that it was a hardware issue

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 12:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Part of my struggle is determining how to set the drive to slave/master.  The "peg" can be placed on either of three pairs of prongs- cable select, slave, and master.  Which pair of prongs do I put the white peg over to set the drive to slave or master?

also -- Is it easy to replace the IDE controller chip (should that be the problem)?  I assumed that it was a hardware issue

Put the peg over the prongs labled "master" on the drive case to set the drive to master and put the peg over the prongs labeled "slave" to set the drive to slave.

I presume your ide cables are coming out of your motherboard and that the ide controller is integrated into the motherboard.  If that's the case, replacing the ide controller chip (if that's the problem) will probably be impossible.  OTOH, you should be able to add an external ide controller card (pci card) to the motherboard to work around this problem.

Problem could be as simple as the drives not being correctly configured master/slave-wise --

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 12:23:32 PM »
freakin' idiot, gosh.

2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline wboswell

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 12:24:40 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'll have more questions once I'm in front of it...  Guess I have plans for Joe on Sunday

Offline wboswell

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 12:41:21 PM »
freakin' idiot, gosh.

You're just pissed because I've been chatting online with babes all day.  Besides, you know I'm training to become a cage fighter.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »
sunday is laundry and gravity bong hit day :P
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 02:16:39 PM »
If the mobo supports cable select, that is your best option. The end of the cable is slave.

If you look at the drive's manual, or the bottom of the drive it will have a little diagram of the jumper pins. Western Digital drives are CS M S left to right, but there are often extra sets of pins for diagnostic modes.

An IDE card is an easy and not to pricey soloution. You'll be able to add 4 drives instead of 2 too.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »
If the mobo supports cable select, that is your best option.
only on HP/Compaq systems.

The end of the cable is slave.
if you only have 1 device on the cable then you want the master on the end.

Western Digital drives are CS M S left to right, but there are often extra sets of pins for diagnostic modes.
even WD drives vary from model to model...there is no set-in-stone pinnout across a hard-drive line

An IDE card is an easy and not to pricey soloution. You'll be able to add 4 drives instead of 2 too.
for maximum performance, you only want 1 IDE drive per cable

the water's clean and innocent

Offline wboswell

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 04:24:32 PM »
Thanks!  I have a Dell computer with a samsung cdr drive and a pioneer dvdr drive

I was able to clearly tell which pins stood for what, I just didn't know how to 'select' them...  Its logical now that I here it from you guys...

FWIW-
The "english" instructions for the Pioneer had a horrible translation.  I'll edit this when I get home and can post what it says, but last night, it made no sense to me.

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 05:13:24 PM »
If the mobo supports cable select, that is your best option.
only on HP/Compaq systems.

The end of the cable is slave.
if you only have 1 device on the cable then you want the master on the end.

Western Digital drives are CS M S left to right, but there are often extra sets of pins for diagnostic modes.
even WD drives vary from model to model...there is no set-in-stone pinnout across a hard-drive line

for maximum performance, you only want 1 IDE drive per cable

Are you saying HP and Compaq are the only ones that support cable select?? I've got an Asus and Chaintech mobo that both support it.

I guess there may be exceptions, but every WD I've owned from 850meg to 250gig has been in that order. But like I said, there is going to be a diagram on the top of the drive where it lists the parameters, or on the bottom right below the jumpers.

Yeah, a master drive is faster than a slave, but not so you'd notice in normal useage.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com