Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Possible to "fix" balance in post using Soundforge?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Possible to "fix" balance in post using Soundforge?
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »
Hey guys,

Am wondering if, using soundforge, its possible to balance this recording somehow. Its off-centre and really bugging me.

Here's the sample: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0BEC6E434685E0B7

I'm clueless when it comes to post-production.  I tried mucking around with pan but went a bit nuts after hearing the same sample 4 billion times.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: Possible to "fix" balance in post using Soundforge?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:12:44 AM »
Nice recording - don't drive yourself too nuts.  The off-center sound is partially that your Right levels are just a little higher, but also that the right side was picked up slightly before the left.  The time shift doesn't look consistent... maybe the mics were off-center to the PA, but well-centered with regard to the stage (drums, bass, etc)?  About 1.5dB more on the left plus a very short delay on the right seems to help, but I know not to trust my ears 100% for balance because one is more sensitive than the other.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Re: Possible to "fix" balance in post using Soundforge?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:49:24 AM »
Thanks Jason.  Everything seemed well centred, flying from a balcony 15ft out directly between two stacks, separated by about the same distance.

Now that I think about it, I suspect the delay is actually coming from the mix.  The layout of the club was really funny with the soundboard waaaay off on the left side under a balcony, with the right side open so I suspect the FOH may have mixed for his own position...if that makes any sense?

Unfortunately I had to set up my gear before the show then move over to the right side of the club for most of the gig.  I wandered back over to my gear at one point and thought things sounded better over in front of the right stack, but couldn't quite place what was off.

I just tried a 20ms delay and the 1.5dB boost and that seems to help. Will try tinkering some more tomorrow. Many thanks.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com