Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Idea for VMS (& other 12v m-tip reverse polarity gear)  (Read 14701 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Idea for VMS (& other 12v m-tip reverse polarity gear)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
Here's another version:

https://roka-berlin.de/products/power-supply-connectors/power-supply-plug-overmolded-on-cable/?lang=en

it seems like the important term is "overmolded" and "45323"
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
I think this is the key...... Schoeps DC Connector tip.

The M-tip adapter will power the VMS but it will not be a rock solid connection and slightest bump to the cable is likely to disrupt DC power temporarily.

So a perfect world solution might be to hack off the M-tip on that adapter and replace it with Schoeps' proprietary connector. From what I can see all Schoeps did was to add a rubber donut ring to the end of a M-tip to get it to seat correctly into the VMS' DC power pin on the front of the box.

The problem is that Redding says they don’t have any more of the tips.

i believe i got a couple somewhere. i ordered a few at one point and they only had one, and sent me that and put the rest of my oder down as backordered. months later i got a couple more in the mail and they refunded me for the 1-2 they didnt send me that i had originally ordered

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »

The M-tip adapter will power the VMS but it will not be a rock solid connection and slightest bump to the cable is likely to disrupt DC power temporarily.

So a perfect world solution might be to hack off the M-tip on that adapter and replace it with Schoeps' proprietary connector. From what I can see all Schoeps did was to add a rubber donut ring to the end of a M-tip to get it to seat correctly into the VMS' DC power pin on the front of the box.

i believe i got a couple somewhere. i ordered a few at one point and they only had one, and sent me that and put the rest of my oder down as backordered. months later i got a couple more in the mail and they refunded me for the 1-2 they didnt send me that i had originally ordered

^
Sent you a PM Dustin...
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 02:33:51 PM »
I had a cable with one of the schoeps tips that I almost gave away since it sat in the YS so long.  Can't remember who eventually bought it. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »

I’ll gladly one if you have an extra....
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
Newark sells a compatible connector:

https://www.newark.com/lumberg/nes-1-g/plug-low-voltage-1-95mm/dp/97K6463?st=nes%201

Made by Lumberg, this connector is called NES 1 G. There is a plastic shroud around the barrel, but I suppose this can be cut away or if I read the drawing correct, it should slide into the casing. Even here in Germany they are a rare sight nowadays, most DC plugs and jacks are 5.5/2.1 or 5.5/2.5

Hope that helps.

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
Newark sells a compatible connector:

https://www.newark.com/lumberg/nes-1-g/plug-low-voltage-1-95mm/dp/97K6463?st=nes%201

Made by Lumberg, this connector is called NES 1 G. There is a plastic shroud around the barrel, but I suppose this can be cut away or if I read the drawing correct, it should slide into the casing. Even here in Germany they are a rare sight nowadays, most DC plugs and jacks are 5.5/2.1 or 5.5/2.5

Hope that helps.

Rainer

Thanks. I've ordered a few of these and I'll report back.
Recording:

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 08:14:31 PM »
I finally did this. Works perfectly.
Recording:

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
sweetness. Good job!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
I’ve got extra tips if anyone else needs one.
Recording:

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 01:51:13 PM »
id love one if you are selling still?

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2024, 11:37:33 AM »

i have one original VMS tip, but wanted to re-visit the internal battery pack option for 007

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2024, 06:34:24 PM »

i have one original VMS tip, but wanted to re-visit the internal battery pack option for 007

Todd, back when I was futzing around with VMS's alot, I made up like 10 or so DIY battery sleds to give away.  I'd give you one but unfortunately, they're all stashed away in a box in storage up in PA and I've been in Cali for the last year and I'll be here until November.  It's a long story, but when I leave Cali, I head back home to Virginia, so I have no idea when I'll finally get my shit out of storage in Pennsylvania.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and a multi-meter, you can do this yourself.  It's not very hard to do.  All you need is a pair of wire cutters or something that will snip some metal, some flat metal strips (maybe 1/4 inch wide and somewhat robust), solder and soldering iron, solder flux, and non-conductive epoxy.  (For example, don't use JB Weld because it has metal shavings impregnated in it.)

I recall that I sourced the strips from ebay.  I can't remember details about what I bought except that they're 1/4 inch wide and pretty robust.  It can't be foil strips because you want the strips to be able to retain their shape and apply pressure to ensure the sled stays connected when pressed up against the clips on the inside of the VMS.   

Basically, all I did was took one of the non-reverse polarity battery sleds and epoxied over the existing terminals to make them non-conductive.   I can't remember if I had to do any snipping, but it seems like I had to do some minor modifications with the wire cutters to make everything fit.  Then I soldered the 1/4-inch thick flat metal strips onto the opposite terminal.  Once everything was soldered up, I sort of molded the 1/4 inch strips in an arc so that the new strips will apply pressure onto the tabs of the VMS.  Obviously, you want to make sure that the new strips are soldered to the opposite pole as the original battery sled had. 

Before you stick it into your VMS with batteries loaded, use your multi-meter to check continuity, check polarities, check voltage at the terminals, etc.  Boom you're almost done!  It'll take you two hours at most for the first one...45 minutes for each one thereafter.

After you slide the sled in, you'll probably need to re-bend or re-shape the 1/4 inch strips so that they optimally contact the clips inside the VMS.  I ended up throwing my first version away because the strips needed to be repositioned slightly.

I recommend buying 2 or 3 of the battery sleds so you can practice on one before settling on a final design.  Even more if you want to have a spare or two.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 06:41:49 PM by fanofjam »

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 10:45:00 AM »

Todd, back when I was futzing around with VMS's alot, I made up like 10 or so DIY battery sleds to give away.  I'd give you one but unfortunately, they're all stashed away in a box in storage up in PA and I've been in Cali for the last year and I'll be here until November.  It's a long story, but when I leave Cali, I head back home to Virginia, so I have no idea when I'll finally get my shit out of storage in Pennsylvania.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and a multi-meter, you can do this yourself.  It's not very hard to do.  All you need is a pair of wire cutters or something that will snip some metal, some flat metal strips (maybe 1/4 inch wide and somewhat robust), solder and soldering iron, solder flux, and non-conductive epoxy.  (For example, don't use JB Weld because it has metal shavings impregnated in it.)

I recall that I sourced the strips from ebay.  I can't remember details about what I bought except that they're 1/4 inch wide and pretty robust.  It can't be foil strips because you want the strips to be able to retain their shape and apply pressure to ensure the sled stays connected when pressed up against the clips on the inside of the VMS.   

Basically, all I did was took one of the non-reverse polarity battery sleds and epoxied over the existing terminals to make them non-conductive.   I can't remember if I had to do any snipping, but it seems like I had to do some minor modifications with the wire cutters to make everything fit.  Then I soldered the 1/4-inch thick flat metal strips onto the opposite terminal.  Once everything was soldered up, I sort of molded the 1/4 inch strips in an arc so that the new strips will apply pressure onto the tabs of the VMS.  Obviously, you want to make sure that the new strips are soldered to the opposite pole as the original battery sled had. 

Before you stick it into your VMS with batteries loaded, use your multi-meter to check continuity, check polarities, check voltage at the terminals, etc.  Boom you're almost done!  It'll take you two hours at most for the first one...45 minutes for each one thereafter.

After you slide the sled in, you'll probably need to re-bend or re-shape the 1/4 inch strips so that they optimally contact the clips inside the VMS.  I ended up throwing my first version away because the strips needed to be repositioned slightly.

I recommend buying 2 or 3 of the battery sleds so you can practice on one before settling on a final design.  Even more if you want to have a spare or two.

Good luck!

wow, this is so up my alley and exactly what i now plan on doing. 
i was looking at the easier to find batteyr sled last night and realized i'd need to flip the contacts as they are now, and love the epoxy idea to ensure no shorts. 
thank you again.

i am beyond thrilled regarding your post, this is seems very within reach and anything to cut off an external battery pack is greatly appreciated! 

EDIT: this looks promising, also ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333375517?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wsa8xdw_tae&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=T5-nXUyeQRS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Similar except this uses the 'spring' instead of the bend battery springs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284534816003?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3sRbM8MHTG6&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=T5-nXUyeQRS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:00:48 PM by todd e »

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 12:41:39 PM »

wow, this is so up my alley and exactly what i now plan on doing. 
i was looking at the easier to find batteyr sled last night and realized i'd need to flip the contacts as they are now, and love the epoxy idea to ensure no shorts. 
thank you again.

i am beyond thrilled regarding your post, this is seems very within reach and anything to cut off an external battery pack is greatly appreciated! 

Excellent!  I'm really glad to help.  I know you can do it, if for no other reason that I did it.

The two ebay connectors you located definitely look worth trying.  I think either one of them might work...if I was a betting man I'd bet on the clip more than the spring.  The challenge is that there's not a heck of a lot of room to work with between the end of the sled and the connectors and by epoxying over the old terminal, you're taking up even more of the precious millimeters that you already have to work with.  That said, it's not an impossibly tight space so with some creativity and elbow grease, I'm sure you will not be denied.  LOL.

By the way...one other pointer.  Once you get the sled finished and have it ready for insertion/testing.  Put the sled into the VMS without batteries.  Check to make sure that neither one of your new contacts on the sled are cross-contacting either of the two clips on VMS.  I mentioned earlier that I made up a bunch of my own DIY's to give away.  Well, as you might imagine as I was doing this my 'manufacturing quality control' was non-existant.  My sleds were visually gnarly looking, but functional.  LOL.  That said, I did end up throwing out a couple of them because when I soldered the strips they were positioned slightly cock-eyed so that, if I'd put them into the VMS with batteries installed, it would have shorted my pre-amp because one of the cock-eyed strips unwittingly was in contact with both VMS clips.  Doy!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com