Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Presonus FIREBOX  (Read 7703 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re: Presonus FIREBOX
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »
doh, that should say $299!
got it at Guitar Center

the water's clean and innocent

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 02:22:09 PM »
Has anyone run this off of the bus for power and if so how fast did it drain batteries?
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »
Has anyone run this off of the bus for power and if so how fast did it drain batteries?
FYI unless you have a 6 pin firewire on your lappie it won't run off bus power.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »
I think I only have 4pin, can you run DC power from a battery? You cant geta a 6pin to four pin?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 04:55:23 PM »
I think I only have 4pin, can you run DC power from a battery? You cant geta a 6pin to four pin?

bus power is strictly 6pin>6pin...and they have to be native 6pin ports, not add-ons like a pc-card

the water's clean and innocent

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 04:56:23 PM »
If your computer only has a four pin than it is not capable of bus power.  Only 6 pin are capable of it.  So a 4 > 6 pin cable wouldn't help.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 05:00:39 PM »

bus power is strictly 6pin>6pin...and they have to be native 6pin ports, not add-ons like a pc-card
If your computer only has a four pin than it is not capable of bus power.  Only 6 pin are capable of it.  So a 4 > 6 pin cable wouldn't help.
good catch guys... I should have said that.  I can'tremember if this is dc powered or not... I think it is.  If not you may be able to find a powered hub.  I have one for usb that has a wall wort and it would be easy enough to hack a bat to that.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 12:54:37 AM »
So I went ahead and bought one, it will run on 12vdc however I was told by presonus it would not, way to know your product guys.  I'll post updates when I get to run it.  So far just some tests infront of the home stereo.  Glichless 24\96 so far.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 07:24:39 AM »
Anyone got any updated information on the Firebox?  More and more I'm liking the idea of building a laptop rig.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »
 Hey,

I've been using this box as my pre for my applications of 4 channel  with the laptop and then mics only analog out with my microtracker.  I am real pleased using this thing to record 4-6 independent channels through cubase.  With the laptop I power the thing with firewire as my Dell has a six pin firewire out.  I have never used it as firewire out using a valence or onboard laptop battery.  I will most likely have power if I patch out of a board, if not I'll use the r/c batteries for power. 

I like the sound of the firebox as a pre only with my 184's,analog line out to the microtracker.  I use two 7.2 volt r/c batteries wired for 14 volt and with 48 volt activated I get 2 hours and 40 minutes. I use a total of 4 batteries if I need more time. , I carry everything in a Lowe nova 4 with the mics in a pelican and the 184's in a pelican, firebox sits vertical. Very portable to carry in the field.  To me on my budget it was the perfect solution, a front end that would allow me to matrix 6 independent channels and mix down after the fact and I could use it as a stand alone pre with the neumans with 12-24 volt power.  I know Dirk ran his for a show using the valance to power the firebox and at 18 volt it dropped on bar on the meter

Good Luck,
Tom

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 08:54:10 PM »
  I use two 7.2 volt r/c batteries wired for 14 volt and with 48 volt activated I get 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I recently did a search of the archives to figure what kind of battery life I could get out of a Firebox and an external battery pack, and this was all I could find.  Now I have a couple data points to add for anyone else facing this same question.

Using my AT U873R mics with 48V phantom (spec'd at 3 mA) and running analog out into my recorder, I got 2 hours 45 minutes out of 12x2000mAhr NiMH AA batteries, then managed to record 3 hours 6 minutes of music off 12x2650 mAhr batteries at a live show followed by ~30 more minutes of recording my stereo at home the next day to finish off the batteries.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 09:02:24 PM »

Powering with batteries is *very* difficult.  This thing burns power (ie., gets hot!).  It sounds great, but it gets hot.  The PSU is +/-15V inside, which is great for sound quality, but...

Before I knew better I just plugged a 5V battery into it.  The battery actually got too hot to hold.  Then I learnt that a firewire interface *can* suck up to 1.5A at 30V.  That is 45W.  This one says 10W on the back I believe.  That is 2A at 5V or almost 1A at 12V.  Too much power IMO.  OK, you could do it, but you're carrying a lot of battery.

If you need battery power I strongly recommend either a VXpocket 440 (in the YS for cheap!), or a standalone unit like an R4.  Too bad, because I love the sound of this thing!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 09:14:12 PM »

Powering with batteries is *very* difficult.  This thing burns power (ie., gets hot!).  It sounds great, but it gets hot.  The PSU is +/-15V inside, which is great for sound quality, but...

Hmm, it got a little warm off my 12xAA battery pack but nothing I'd describe as "hot!".

Running it off the firewire bus power of my laptop I don't notice any heat issues, it does knock down the laptop's battery life from about 3:30 if just recording to 2:30 if recording and running the Firebox.

Edit:  I should note that I have always run the Firebox out in the open air rather than inside a bag, which I'm sure helped it to dissipate heat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:20:52 PM by Will_S »

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 09:42:47 PM »

Hmm, it got a little warm off my 12xAA battery pack but nothing I'd describe as "hot!".

Running it off the firewire bus power of my laptop I don't notice any heat issues, it does knock down the laptop's battery life from about 3:30 if just recording to 2:30 if recording and running the Firebox.

Edit:  I should note that I have always run the Firebox out in the open air rather than inside a bag, which I'm sure helped it to dissipate heat.

2h30 with a laptop is good.  I am just nervous using anything that drains power off an already taxed laptop.  I've done shows where I keep looking over at my 'battery' symbol on the laptop and it is not fun...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 11:52:05 PM »
It will run for more than 4 hrs on a 5amp hr 12 v battery, most people carry a 7.2 amp hour batter for units like the v2, v3, or other units this is the standard sive that eco charge makes them in. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com