Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp quality: MOTU Ultralite vs. Samson Mixpad (vs. Presonus Firebox)  (Read 12989 times)

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Preamp quality: MOTU Ultralite vs. Samson Mixpad (vs. Presonus Firebox)
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
I had the analog stage mods done, but am holding off on the clock upgrade, as I need to be able to slave it to my UA5 to run a 4-mic mix, which is why I bought it in the first place, and the clock upgrade would not allow that.  But I'm thinking of getting rid of the UA5 and getting a DAV BG-1 or a Sax.  If I do that, I'd get the clock upgrade done, also, since it would be an analog input instead of a digital input, and I'd actually be using the internal clock.

I didn't run the Ultralite much before the upgrade, and I'm mostly running it now in combination with the UA5, so I'm probably not the best person to speak about the improvement.  But, in the little testing I did with this unit alone before and after the upgrade, I think it was worthwhile to have it done.  I should do more listening to try to describe specifics, but my first impression was smoother highs, better soundstage, and maybe slightly tighter bass but I wasn't listening to the best source material to judge the lower frequencies.  I know the prices just went up on the mods, unfortunately--I got mine done just under the wire.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »
I was quoted 295 analog and 395 w/ clock.  I didn't see the prices posted.  What did you pay?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 02:20:32 AM »
You're not going to be happy, I think.  I paid $205 for the analog stage plus return shipping.  Pretty big jump.  They had told me previously that since it was basically an 828mkII in a half rack case, the price would be the same as an 828mkII, and the prices no their site now for that unit match what they told you.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 09:04:38 AM »
You're not going to be happy, I think.  I paid $205 for the analog stage plus return shipping.  Pretty big jump.  They had told me previously that since it was basically an 828mkII in a half rack case, the price would be the same as an 828mkII, and the prices no their site now for that unit match what they told you.

Thats cool... I'll try to negotiate.  Maybe they will move for me.  Thanks for the info and +T

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com