Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rolls PB223 mod?  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Rolls PB223 mod?
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:22:39 PM »
OK, I just got one of these phantom power supplies and noticed that under load, it provides less than 30v DC with one MSH-1O microphone connected. So I got to thinking what it would take to beef it up a bit. I have attached the owners manual which includes the schematic for the unit. I know the schematic is for the PB224, but it matches the components in this unit too.

Anyway, I was thinking about changing some capacitors to larger values to start. I'm half thinking about putting a couple of transformers in it too, and removing the DC blocking caps to make it a pre-amp that provides phantom power also. There isn't too much room in there, but there may be enough room for some small transformers.

My initial though was to increase the values of C5, C11 and especially C6. My thought is that with larger capacitor values, it will have more reserve voltage and may be able to keep up with the voltage/ current needs of the microphones better.

If anyone else has any ideas on moding this, I'd like to hear them. I know there is another pre-amp project mod in this section. This may be an alternative to that, I think. Passive gain would be provided by the transformers and phantom power by the circuit in the PB223.

I will post photos as things go along.

Chuck

edit...
changed MSH-1A to MSH-1O... opps...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:57:37 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Rolls PB223 mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:45:32 PM »
OK, I just got one of these phantom power supplies and noticed that under load, it provides less than 30v DC with one MSH-1A microphone connected. So I got to thinking what it would take to beef it up a bit. I have attached the owners manual which includes the schematic for the unit. I know the schematic is for the PB224, but it matches the components in this unit too.

Anyway, I was thinking about changing some capacitors to larger values to start. I'm half thinking about putting a couple of transformers in it too, and removing the DC blocking caps to make it a pre-amp that provides phantom power also. There isn't too much room in there, but there may be enough room for some small transformers.

My initial though was to increase the values of C5, C11 and especially C6. My thought is that with larger capacitor values, it will have more reserve voltage and may be able to keep up with the voltage/ current needs of the microphones better.

If anyone else has any ideas on moding this, I'd like to hear them. I know there is another pre-amp project mod in this section. This may be an alternative to that, I think. Passive gain would be provided by the transformers and phantom power by the circuit in the PB223.

I will post photos as things go along.

Chuck

I'd like to see photos of the inside.

*But* before you go worrying about phantom/48V, check the PB223 with *no load*.  Remove the mic and measure the voltage, it should be 48V.  It will be less (like 30V) under load.  Why?  Well, there is a 6.8k resistor between the 48V supply and the mic connector.  The fact that it is 30V means that some current is flowing, and 18V is dropped on that 6.8k feed resistor.  Perfectly normal!

You could still put transformers in.  But be aware that you need a low impedance source to drive them.  The MSH mics are really a mid-impedance source, so there might not be that much gain.  An AT853Rx (AT853 with phantom adapters) would be perfect, though.  That, and most "professional grade" mics, will output low impedance suitable to drive a transformer.

Richard
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 08:47:44 PM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:08:52 PM »
Thanks for joining in Richard. I appreciate your input. I hope to have photos of the interior tomorrow. My digital camera works best with sunlight.  ;)

This unit was busted when I got it. I think someone had reversed the voltage, because D1 1N4001 diode was burned. I replaced it and made a jumper to it, since the trace was also fried. It seems to work up to spec now.
The voltage is ~45v with no load. FWIW, the voltage on my PS-2 doesn't drop more than 3 volts with the same microphone.

One thing I don't understand in the circuit is the 7805. Why use a 5 volt regulator in a 12 volt circuit? It's weird, because with the switch set to 12v, it does supply 12 volts, even though the 7805 should only output 5 v DC.

As far as the impedence problem with the transformers, maybe I could make a small transistor buffer for the transformers?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:27:44 PM »
Thanks for joining in Richard. I appreciate your input. I hope to have photos of the interior tomorrow. My digital camera works best with sunlight.  ;)

This unit was busted when I got it. I think someone had reversed the voltage, because D1 1N4001 diode was burned. I replaced it and made a jumper to it, since the trace was also fried. It seems to work up to spec now.
The voltage is ~45v with no load. FWIW, the voltage on my PS-2 doesn't drop more than 3 volts with the same microphone.

One thing I don't understand in the circuit is the 7805. Why use a 5 volt regulator in a 12 volt circuit? It's weird, because with the switch set to 12v, it does supply 12 volts, even though the 7805 should only output 5 v DC.

As far as the impedence problem with the transformers, maybe I could make a small transistor buffer for the transformers?

There may be other problems besides that diode you fixed, then.

As far as adding buffer transistors.  Yes, you can do that.  But at some point, it makes sense just to get a preamp.  Even a cheap preamp may do better than a buffer.  I'm pretty much done building preamps, since you can buy better quality, and there is less chance to screw up.  The problem is a lot of these circuits *sound* fine, but are still broken.  Look at the UA5 thread I started way back.  I noticed huge distortion (up to 1%) near 0dB input.  Yet everyone thinks it sounds great!  So, just because something sounds great, check it out with some test signals to make sure everything is fine.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Chuck

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:53:31 PM »
I just got the PB223 yesterday, and with visual inspection determined that replacing D1 and the trace was prudent..I'll run a signal through it this weekend to see if it has more problems that need to be fixed.

I know what you mean about being able to buy good quality microphone pre-amps that have already been thought out. I figure I already have a good active pre-amp to use. I like to tinker, and a transformer based pre-amp appeals to me on several levels. My initial reason for getting the PB223 was to use it as the phantom power supply for an op-amp based pre-amp I made a while ago. Unfortunately that unit is built around a differential supply voltage based design and I decided I don't want to rework it for use with this phantom power supply after all.

The key thing for me would be to find some reasonably priced transformers (that will fit in the enclosure) to provide clean gain.

BTW, the newer MSH-1O's are more sensitive than the MSH-1A's and supposedly can handle higher SPL's. I have yet to test the 1O's for high SPL's, but I do like the sound of them and especially the price.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
PB223 photos:

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:51:46 PM »
BTW, you know that Rolls has schematics on their website, right?

Every product that I've seen has a schematic included in the docs.

Not great products, but certainly solid, well made ... and well documented.

Richard

Offline Chuck

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:00:57 PM »
BTW, you know that Rolls has schematics on their website, right?

Every product that I've seen has a schematic included in the docs.

Not great products, but certainly solid, well made ... and well documented.

Richard

Yes, I have the schematic for this unit as an attachment in my first post.
It's unusual for a company to publish the schematic like that.
I'm also thinking I want to build a high pass filter on this thing too.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 06:13:41 PM »
Modifications made so far:

Replaced non-functioning D1, 1N4001 with 1N4001
Added a jumper wire from D1 to ground as that trace was damaged
Replaced R4, R5, R10, R11 (5% - 6.8 k ohm) with 1 % - 6.81 k ohm metal film resistors (hand matched to .1%)
Replaced R7 (100 ohm) with a jumper wire
Replaced damaged U1, CD4069UBCN with CD4069UBE
Replaced damaged U2, 7805 with 7805
C1 (1 uf – 50v) added 100 uf 63v capacitor in parallel (old cap is under the circuit board)
C5 (1.5 uf – 50v) added 100 uf 63v capacitor in parallel (old cap is under the circuit board)
C6 (47 uf – 50v) added 68 uf 63v capacitor in parallel (old cap is under the circuit board)
C11 (1.5 uf – 50v) added 100 uf 63v capacitor in parallel (old cap is under the circuit board)
Removed SW28 and replaced with a jumper wire for to eliminate 12v DC option
Replaced buss wire grounding to SW28 with heavier wire and added a grounding screw on the chassis

With these modifications, I gained (3) v DC when using the MSH-1O's. Not a huge benefit. I already had everything but the CD4069UBE and the 6.81 k 1% resistors, so all it's cost me so far is $.39 or the IC and $.80 for 8 resistors, and some time.
I'm hoping to find some transformers that would fit in there to provide passive gain. I also want to make SW28 engage a high pass filter. Any ideas on a good choice for the high pass filter cut off and slope?

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »
Maybe I shoulda taken electronics instead of that Jazz history class...

I really wish I knew what all this meant.
@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
Excellent work, Chuck!

I'd make the hi-pass 75-80 Hz and -6db slope, a pretty good range for our applications.  If you're only planning on using this for the MSH omnis, you might want 100-120 and -6db.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
Excellent work, Chuck!

I'd make the hi-pass 75-80 Hz and -6db slope, a pretty good range for our applications.  If you're only planning on using this for the MSH omnis, you might want 100-120 and -6db.

Thanks, Todd.
I'll try both HPF suggestions and see what works best with the MSH-1O's.

Edit to add:

The 4069UB is a medium speed hex inverter, I wonder if substituting a different one, maybe a higher speed hex inverter would make a positive difference?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:07:03 PM by Chuck »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 10:48:24 PM »
Well, this weekend, I replaced U1 CD4069UBE (medium speed hex inverter) with CD74HCT04E (high speed hex inverter) and
replaced D8 (red LED) with (yellow LED). I gained another couple of volts DC under load on the phantom power using the high speed hex inverter. I replaced the red LED with yellow because everyone knows yellow is better.  8)

I also started to wire in some audio transformers. A photo of them is attached. I still don't know the manufacturer or specs, but my preliminary tests indicate that they are indeed impedance matching transformers and they end up supplying approx. 12 db of gain with the MSH-1O microphones.

I almost fried the phantom power circuit when I initially powered up the box after wiring in the transformers, because I connected the ground on both ends of the transformers to the chassis. Bad idea  ;) So now, I'm looking for some isolated RCA panel mount jacks. I have some isolated 1/4" phono jacks, but no RCA's. It looks like I may have to put a little money into this thing now. So far it's cost me a little over one dollar in parts that I didn't have just lying around. If anyone has a line on some cheap good isolated RCA jacks, let me know.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
This is essential how I hooked up the transformer. Except I have tied pin 3 to pin 1 (Chassis ground) on the output, because I'm using RCA (unbalanced) outputs. The problem is this shuts down the phantom power circuit. I must be missing something that's very obvious. Of course, I'm at work, thinking about it, rather than having it in my hands to figure out. The inputs to the transformers (primary) are floating as in the diagram attached to Pins 2 and 3. As soon as I attach the chassis ground wire from the Phantom power circuit, it shuts that circuit down. That's what this diagram says, is to lift the chassis ground on the primary side. Also, If I connected Pin 3 to Pin 1 on the input side, that would produce a dead short for the phantom power supply. So that wouldn't work. If I leave the phantom power chassis ground disconnected, it all works, but with massive hum. Unfortunately, I won't have time to test anything tonight, since I'm working late.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 08:13:45 PM »
I've had some time to test and listen to this unit, now. The problem I was having with the transformers has been solved. There was a lead from one of the components touching the chassis. The transformers were wired correctly after all. After listening with the MSH-1O's attached, I noticed that the CD74HCT04E (high speed hex inverter) that I substituted was generating much more noise and grainyness than the CD4069UBE (medium speed hex inverter). So, I'm back to the original hex interter IC now. I think I've done about as much as I want to to the phantom power circuitry for now. I may end up putting in better bypass capacitors in the circuit, but for now I'm happy with the way it sounds. Next thing will be adding the high pass filter. I hope that adding more wiring and a switch doesn't increase the noise in the circuit. Essentially, the only real noise in this pre-amp is generated by the phantom power circuit, since the transformers (gain) are passive.

Comparing the stock PB223 to the Denecke PS-2 (which I also own) I have come to really respect the thought and especially the engineering that went into the PS-2. Especially, since they both use the exact same hex inverter to drive the cascading diode DC voltage gain circuit. The PB223 is a toy in comparisson. With both MSH-1O's connected to the PS-2, the voltage stays within 3 volts of 48 v DC. With two MSH-1O's connected to the modded PB223, I'm getting between 14v DC and 15v DC.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com