Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gain Stages  (Read 2169 times)

Offline iriewsp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I have to pay for you to get it sounding good?
Gain Stages
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »

Im going to be running Hamptone HJFP2>AD500e   and was wondering about gain stages.  Ive had the AD500e for years and was thinking about how to set the gain stage of it compared to the HJFP2.  Maybe my thinking is off cause Im thinking about recording in a studio, but Ive always set the first gain stage(that being the channel fader going to tape at unity) then adjusting my mic pre to get the proper levels.  If I set the AD500e at Unity being 0. I dont get much room for my pre.  So Im wondering if I should back up on the ad500e, but if I do that will I be adding some sort of gain stage compression?   I'll be using an assortment of mics (basically whatever I can grab from the mic locker at work)   What do you guys do?  Do you have a set gain on your Pre's and then adjust with your A/Ds?  Or do you set gain on your A/Ds and adjust with your pre's?  Or both?

Thanks
Mike
Taping Rig
AKG 451e ck1 (mid) AT 4050 (side)>V3>MT 24/96

Multi Track Rig
2 x Focosrite Octopre Platinum with adat expansion>003r>mac g4 power book
with assorted microphones

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Gain Stages
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:04:15 PM »
From what I understand, you will get the best s/n ratio if you run the AD500 wide open and control your levels from the pre. Please correct me if I am off base...... 8)

edit:  Generally, with pre's, it is best to use as little gain as needed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:27:05 PM by Kyle »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:40:55 PM »
From what I understand, you will get the best s/n ratio if you run the AD500 wide open and control your levels from the pre. Please correct me if I am off base...... 8)

edit:  Generally, with pre's, it is best to use as little gain as needed.

I kinda feel ya Kyle, I have been running about 20db of pre all summer long with the v3/sax since i nabbed the 722, i think 20db is a good gain stage, anything over it i dont like, and at about 20db of pre stage i have a nice amount of room on the 722 end to get everything just right
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:58:31 PM »

Im going to be running Hamptone HJFP2>AD500e   and was wondering about gain stages.  Ive had the AD500e for years and was thinking about how to set the gain stage of it compared to the HJFP2.  Maybe my thinking is off cause Im thinking about recording in a studio, but Ive always set the first gain stage(that being the channel fader going to tape at unity) then adjusting my mic pre to get the proper levels.  If I set the AD500e at Unity being 0. I dont get much room for my pre.  So Im wondering if I should back up on the ad500e, but if I do that will I be adding some sort of gain stage compression?   I'll be using an assortment of mics (basically whatever I can grab from the mic locker at work)   What do you guys do?  Do you have a set gain on your Pre's and then adjust with your A/Ds?  Or do you set gain on your A/Ds and adjust with your pre's?  Or both?

Thanks
Mike

I  take it you will be using AC or did hamptone develop a DC version of their preamp?  If they developed a DC version I just might have to check that out...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline iriewsp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I have to pay for you to get it sounding good?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:19:55 PM »

Thanks
Mike

I  take it you will be using AC or did hamptone develop a DC version of their preamp?  If they developed a DC version I just might have to check that out...

Yea AC.   No DC version yet.  Someone should do a mod.

Thanks for the input guys.  I thought that would be the proper way to go about it, but was just a little amazed at the low gain set on the Pre. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:22:38 PM by iriewsp »
Taping Rig
AKG 451e ck1 (mid) AT 4050 (side)>V3>MT 24/96

Multi Track Rig
2 x Focosrite Octopre Platinum with adat expansion>003r>mac g4 power book
with assorted microphones

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 4.378 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com