Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PSP-2 Questions - Answered and follow-up  (Read 2225 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
PSP-2 Questions - Answered and follow-up
« on: November 14, 2006, 02:51:49 PM »
My PSP-2 just arrived from Germany.  The unit is in great shape, including on the inside of the battery compartment where it looks like it has never been used.  The battery cage, however, looks to be a homebrew / non-standard cage.  I was playing around with it and have a couple of questions / issues:

1.) Where can I get a better-made battery cage for this?  The one I have just feels a bit flimsy.

2.) Does the unit accept rechargeables?  I don't have any alkalines around the house so I mixed 4 rechargeables and 2 alkalines to see if the power light would turn on.  The unit did not turn on with this combination.  I can attribute this to the fact that it either does not like rechargeables, or that the battery cage is not connecting.  Could it be one of these issues?  Both?

3.) I used my MiniMe 6v cable to hook it up to an Eco-Charge BP 50 (6 volt) battery and turned it on.  The battery light would blink on and off with this.  Is this normal?  The Eco-Charge was all charged up.  I called Sonic Sense and they said it could be a faulty battery light.  Could it be this?

I intend to hook this up to my gear and see if it works at a study break soon.  I will let you know what happens.

Any assistance is helpful!

Edit: I hooked everything up and it appears as if the battery sled is indeed having trouble connecting to the contacts.  Does anybody know where I can get a replacement sled for this thing?  Also, it looks like the all the lights (battery and level) are faulty.  This is not a big deal, as the lights are pretty much worthless for taping anyway, but I would still like to have it fixed.  Does anybody know where I can get this serviced?  Unit works fine, though.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:10:28 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: PSP-2 Questions - Answered and follow-up
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
Over the course of the day, I have managed to answer all of my own questions.  Please disregard the previous post.

I do have some knowledge to relate if anybody is interested in the PSP-2 / PSP-3 series, however.

Basically, parts are no longer available for either of these units.  A conversation with Sonic Sense revealed that the Aeta factory burned to the ground a couple of years ago, hence the unavailability of parts for these units.  I then called up the AEA distributor in the United States to see where I could service this about the faulty lights.  He mentioned that I should try Jerry Bruck at Posthorn Recordings.  I did not call Jerry, but I did mention that I will be moving to France for a year next year.  He gave me the contact information for Aeta in France and said that they may be able to help me out.  The AEA distributor said that repairs + shipping + insurance to and from France would run $200 to $300.

I would gamble that Paul at ProDigital could also take care of issues with the unit as well, but I did not try him.

Here is the contact information for Aeta France if anybody really needs their unit serviced:

Valerie Racinet
vracinet@aeta-audio.com

011 33 141361261 Ph

Hope this helps!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: PSP-2 Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »
2.) Does the unit accept rechargeables?  I don't have any alkalines around the house so I mixed 4 rechargeables and 2 alkalines to see if the power light would turn on.

You really shouldn't mix those battery types.  Bad stuff can happen.

Glad to hear the unit is in otherwise excellent condition!

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:16:22 AM »
Over the course of the day, I have managed to answer all of my own questions.  Please disregard the previous post.

I do have some knowledge to relate if anybody is interested in the PSP-2 / PSP-3 series, however.

Basically, parts are no longer available for either of these units.  A conversation with Sonic Sense revealed that the Aeta factory burned to the ground a couple of years ago, hence the unavailability of parts for these units.  I then called up the AEA distributor in the United States to see where I could service this about the faulty lights.  He mentioned that I should try Jerry Bruck at Posthorn Recordings.  I did not call Jerry, but I did mention that I will be moving to France for a year next year.  He gave me the contact information for Aeta in France and said that they may be able to help me out.  The AEA distributor said that repairs + shipping + insurance to and from France would run $200 to $300.

I would gamble that Paul at ProDigital could also take care of issues with the unit as well, but I did not try him.

Here is the contact information for Aeta France if anybody really needs their unit serviced:

Valerie Racinet
vracinet@aeta-audio.com

011 33 141361261 Ph

Hope this helps!

Jerry has helped me in the past with  my psp2 problems. He found me a new one after mine blew up. You really might want to call Posthorn.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:22:13 AM »
Jerry is the man for Schoeps parts and expertise too. Definitely a great vendor to support with your biz.

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 12:35:20 PM »
.....A conversation with Sonic Sense revealed that the Aeta factory burned to the ground a couple of years ago, hence the unavailability of parts for these units...

yup.

I run my PSP2 with a 6v Eco-Charge BP 50. No problems.

You may want to check the cable polarity of the PSP2 vs the MiniMe. I believe they may be different. I know people have had good luck with some cheap Wal-Mart batteries for their PSP2's. You may want to check with 'raoulduke' or 'taperbryan'.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com