Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax vs EAA psp2 ?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Sonosax vs EAA psp2 ?
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:28:31 AM »
Has anyone seen any comps of these two preamps ?

I'm also looking for any comments from someone who has used or heard both or just comments about the psp2 usage ...

I'm a transformer guy and I have been thinking of mixing it up lately, getting that itch as the CC bill goes down  8)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Sonosax vs EAA psp2 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »
the most obvious difference is that the sax has variable gain and the psp2 is fixed. I ran a psp2 for a while and it was very nice indeed. I'm sorry I sold it. It was light years ahead of the mp2 it replaced. The psp2 has a nice tight low end that is fat but not floppy. As others have said it reminds me of a mini Ga brick. I ran mine with an oade modsbm1 and the results were very good.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »
the most obvious difference is that the sax has variable gain and the psp2 is fixed. I ran a psp2 for a while and it was very nice indeed. I'm sorry I sold it. It was light years ahead of the mp2 it replaced. The psp2 has a nice tight low end that is fat but not floppy. As others have said it reminds me of a mini Ga brick. I ran mine with an oade modsbm1 and the results were very good.

well said. I totally agree.

I also ran mine with a mod-SBM1. huge sound for such a small package. By far my favorite all around rig I ever owned. (size & sound)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:25:34 PM by Kindguy »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline TaperBryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »

I agree Straker.  I've got a few shows when this was your source.  Nice sounding indeed.  Neal gives me shit about selling mine all the time....but, I can't.  I love it.  Let me know if you ever want to borrow it.  Somebody's got to keep a psp2 in the Upstate of SC   :P
09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:03:07 AM »
Has anyone seen any comps of these two preamps ?

I'm also looking for any comments from someone who has used or heard both or just comments about the psp2 usage ...

I'm a transformer guy and I have been thinking of mixing it up lately, getting that itch as the CC bill goes down  8)

If you love transformers, you won't find a more solid pre than this. Well, the Georgia brick is the one to beat, but the PSP-2 has a great sound, impeccable buld quality, and is stealthable (just watch those internal batteries :yikes:

some battery-melting info here: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,49618.0.html
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com