Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 89355 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
This looks like a good deal. Anyone know if this card works?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
should I sell my 744 and get a MixPre 6 ii ??

Any thoughts?? Opinions ??

I am currently wrestling with the idea of selling my MixPre-6 1st gen and buying a used 722 or 744t.

A previous post described the MixPre sound as “warm” compared to an F6. I find further that my recordings lack detail compared to ones using the same mics, same source but different preamps. The MixPre-6 recordings are “smooth” and “velvet” but I want clarity and edges.

Would the preamps in the 722 or 744t be more likely to give me that?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2019, 02:32:52 AM »

I am currently wrestling with the idea of selling my MixPre-6 1st gen and buying a used 722 or 744t.

A previous post described the MixPre sound as “warm” compared to an F6. I find further that my recordings lack detail compared to ones using the same mics, same source but different preamps. The MixPre-6 recordings are “smooth” and “velvet” but I want clarity and edges.

why dont you guys trade up gear and try it out?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »

It’s a logical idea, although I’m in Canada which may complicate the temporary trade with customs duty and taxes.

Plus I have a lead on a pretty good deal for a 722. Unfortunately I can’t test it before buying.

I was hoping there was someone here who has used both a 722/744 and the MixPre 3/6 units and could say if there is more clarity with the older 7xx series.

My SD USBPre 2 gives me more of the detail the MixPre’s lack to my ears. Apparently the analog front end and the A/D are the same in the USBPre 2 as the 722/744 but with less dynamic range. So a 722 could be just the ticket.

Sorry to hijack this thread but since the “warm” sound of the MixPre was mentioned, and the 744t owner brought up that question, it seemed the best place to ask.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »

It’s a logical idea, although I’m in Canada which may complicate the temporary trade with customs duty and taxes.

Plus I have a lead on a pretty good deal for a 722. Unfortunately I can’t test it before buying.

I was hoping there was someone here who has used both a 722/744 and the MixPre 3/6 units and could say if there is more clarity with the older 7xx series.

My SD USBPre 2 gives me more of the detail the MixPre’s lack to my ears. Apparently the analog front end and the A/D are the same in the USBPre 2 as the 722/744 but with less dynamic range. So a 722 could be just the ticket.

Sorry to hijack this thread but since the “warm” sound of the MixPre was mentioned, and the 744t owner brought up that question, it seemed the best place to ask.

I have used all the preamps mentioned:

7xx and USBPre 2 have what I consider the same sound, which has more detail even when used with it's limiters.

MixPre-3/6, when used with it's limiters has what you describe as a smooth sound.

MixPre-3/6 II has the benefit of not using limiters in 32 bit float mode and has more of the detail you desire.

If you want opinions... I say get a MixPre-6 II

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »

7xx and USBPre 2 have what I consider the same sound, which has more detail even when used with it's limiters.

MixPre-3/6, when used with it's limiters has what you describe as a smooth sound.

MixPre-3/6 II has the benefit of not using limiters in 32 bit float mode and has more of the detail you desire.

That’s great information. Thanks!

I was thinking of getting the MixPre 3 II but figured it would sound just as muffled as I hear the MixPre 1st gen to be.

Do you feel the reproduction of detail on the 2nd gen MixPre in 32 bit float is equal to the 7xx series?

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »

I was thinking of getting the MixPre 3 II but figured it would sound just as muffled as I hear the MixPre 1st gen to be.

Do you feel the reproduction of detail on the 2nd gen MixPre in 32 bit float is equal to the 7xx series?

I'm not a SD fluffer but " muffled" sound from your mixpre3?
Sounds likea it's your mics u r not liking
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »

I'm not a SD fluffer but " muffled" sound from your mixpre3?
Sounds likea it's your mics u r not liking

The mics (AT4022’s) sound fine with the USBPre 2. Perhaps “muffled” is a bit extreme. Just too velvety for the source (trains, nature). Probably better with music and voice.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #263 on: November 09, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »
this is an aside, but last summer before i got a mixpre i was lined up to buy a friends 744.  it always worked perfectly for him but he insisted on sending it in to have sound devices go over it to make sure it was operating to spec. I couldn’t believe the repair price tag on it they wanted to replace the caps and other things as well. I’ll try to dig up the estimate and list the items. We kinda take for granted with all the gear we trade around, that everything is solid-state and operates as it was originally designed. But just some food for thought, at least sound devices said the older, apparently perfectly working, 744 was not operating to their desired spec. And out of warranty service because of something you probably don’t want to mess with. Unless you have a specific need for features
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline shijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »
I done only very few subjective tests with MixPre vs MixPre 3 II (mostly tested line-in) before send back MixPre 3 II to reseller for replacement due hardware factory defect in line/headphones-out. But here are my secondary impressions:

First i tested MixPre connected to Edirol R09HR line in and compare MixPre 3 II.
And next i tested MixPre 3 II preamps.

Old MixPre with its analog limiters can produce very pleasant "warm" "well compressed" sound without any additional adjustment. Its low cut filter looks different when you start to look at sound spectre image. It still need come compressor/saturator to slightly boost sound, because 24 bit recordings are usually recorded at low levels to avoid clipping.
Old MixPre use stepless analog pots, and so you can adjust volume in real time very smoothly if needed.

Overall MixPre+R09HR (based on Wolfson WM8786 A/D chip) is actually holds very well. In high frequencies range R09HR line-in appears slightly less noisier than MixPre-3II line-in. But that difference is tiny and only visible if in post boost ultra quiet levels to extreme +24db.
Probably more noise in high frequency is the payment for wide dynamic range multiple combined A/D converters design. (but i really need to redo those tests again with new unit)

MixPre 3 II is sort of more perfect digital clinical and transparent sounding. Its limiters are probably some sort of FPGA VST limiter plugin working in clipless 32 bit mode internally. Its low cut filters are very precise and simple when you start to look at sound spectre image. But it is sounds better than Zoom preamps for sure. It is kind of RAW recorder for audio and is up to your skills to shape final "look" in post. You probably need to experiment really a lot with different limiters plugins and compression effects to produce less clinical sound and shape high dynamic range audio source to something that pleasant to ears. Something like “Limiter №6” all-in-one solution may help a lot https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/
MixPre 3 II  use digital controlled pots with fixed digital hard steps, and so if for some reason you adjust volume in real time you may expect some stepping effect. So it is better do pan and volume adjustment in post with smooth software curves.

MixPre-3II ON/OFF switch is another thing that feels like total disaster after you spend some time to operate the unit. Too tiny, too close to USB-C port, extends not enough to grab it well. And it was not enough pain, so designers choose button with pure black color to make it hard to see on black panel.
They could to use simple "press and hold 2 seconds" on/off button and place it front panel instead SD logo.

Cool thing about 32 bit is that some audio apps can render output to similar "clipless" 32 bit or even double precision 64 bit float. In my example Cockos Reaper https://www.reaper.fm/ render settings:

Another app Rogue Amoeba Fission https://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/ also can read, trim and write 32 bit float WAV files natively. But it is limited only by lossless trimming option. It can't normalize 32 bit files or do any other proper effects itself.

So formally it is possible to keep full workflow in 32 bit.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:34:22 PM by shijan »
2x Oktava MK-012+Rycote BBG -> MixPre -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »
this is an aside, but last summer before i got a mixpre i was lined up to buy a friends 744.  it always worked perfectly for him but he insisted on sending it in to have sound devices go over it to make sure it was operating to spec. I couldn’t believe the repair price tag on it they wanted to replace the caps and other things as well. I’ll try to dig up the estimate and list the items. We kinda take for granted with all the gear we trade around, that everything is solid-state and operates as it was originally designed. But just some food for thought, at least sound devices said the older, apparently perfectly working, 744 was not operating to their desired spec. And out of warranty service because of something you probably don’t want to mess with. Unless you have a specific need for features

That’s a great point.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »
this is what it looked like. labor was the lions share

The following is the estimated cost for the repair of the unit below:

Model: 744T
S/N: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For the condition:
+++++++++++++++++++++

I am going to sell my 744T unit to another concert recordist and wish to have my unit bench-tested, updated and ready for use.
I wish to have this unit declared fully operational to be able to sell this with confidence.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Labor: $350.00
Minimum Parts: $132.39
Optional Parts: $234.11

Minimum Total: $482.39
 - OR -
Minimum + Optional Total: $716.50

Minimum Parts
Output Flex Assembly
CF Card Reader
Internal Battery
Capacitor
LCD Cover
Battery Foam Block

Optional Parts
SATA Hard Drive - $234.11 (Current installed drive is 12 Years old. Should be replaced)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #267 on: November 10, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
this is what it looked like. labor was the lions share

The following is the estimated cost for the repair of the unit below:

Model: 744T
S/N: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For the condition:
+++++++++++++++++++++

I am going to sell my 744T unit to another concert recordist and wish to have my unit bench-tested, updated and ready for use.
I wish to have this unit declared fully operational to be able to sell this with confidence.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Labor: $350.00
Minimum Parts: $132.39
Optional Parts: $234.11

Minimum Total: $482.39
 - OR -
Minimum + Optional Total: $716.50

Minimum Parts
Output Flex Assembly
CF Card Reader
Internal Battery
Capacitor
LCD Cover
Battery Foam Block

Optional Parts
SATA Hard Drive - $234.11 (Current installed drive is 12 Years old. Should be replaced)

It would be in “like new” condition but you’d have to have bought it at a very low price to justify spending almost as much as a new MixPre 6 ii for that servicing.

Thanks for that cautionary tale. Maybe my USBPre2 will suffice for a 7xx series stand-in, and I’ll try out a new MixPre 3 ii in 32bit float to compare for clarity.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #268 on: November 10, 2019, 08:56:12 AM »
$234 for a sata hdd!?!?  how long ago was this?  doesn't even say ssd!

edit:  I seem to remember these came with IDE drives so I'll assume that price also includes an IDE > SATA kit of some sort.  Still sounds high as hell though!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:23:40 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #269 on: November 10, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »
$234 for a sata hdd!?!?  how long ago was this?  doesn't even say ssd!

earlier this year. i remember he said he was going to request SSD upgrade but i dont see that in his comments

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com