Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity on Mac 24/96 to 16/44.1  (Read 5327 times)

Offline bogusjack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audacity on Mac 24/96 to 16/44.1
« on: June 25, 2016, 12:46:10 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's late and I'm tired of looking for it.

Would someone kindly give me the workflow of converting a 24/96 recording to 16/44.1 using audacity on a Mac.  Exporting to flac please.

Thank you.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Audacity on Mac 24/96 to 16/44.1
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
Export > Save As Type (pick FLAC) > Options (pick 16 bit)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
Export > Save As Type (pick FLAC) > Options (pick 16 bit)
i have found and others have reported it too that if you track in 24 and then export to 16 that the markers are not always in the correct spot. In fact the 16 file is often times a few seconds longer then the 24.
I recommend doing whatever you want /need to do in the 24 then exporting to 16, tracking and saving as flAc from there.

Another question that I have been dealing with is exporting the files has a "-" in the name for example
Band2016-06-01.t-01
Does anyone know how to set it so the - isn't there? This never happened on y old mac, just my newer one
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
Another question that I have been dealing with is exporting the files has a "-" in the name for example
Band2016-06-01.t-01
Does anyone know how to set it so the - isn't there? This never happened on y old mac, just my newer one

I can't remember that ever not being the case with Audacity. I used to use a renaming program called R-Name for mac but now I just rename with xACT.

As for a potential tracking bug, that's going to be pretty easy to correct- You can copy and move label tracks just like audio tracks. You could either move the proper label track to the audio track you want to use, or move the proper audio track to the window with the correct label track.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »
I'm giving this another try on my Mac and could use some help as well.  24/48 recording.  One large file with no labels or track marks.  Do I convert to 16/44.1 and then track?  How?  Export and will the files play gapless?

Can someone share their workflow to get from a 24/48 file from a M10 to flacs I can upload and share. 

Thanks.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:13:02 PM »
I'm giving this another try on my Mac and could use some help as well.  24/48 recording.  One large file with no labels or track marks.  Do I convert to 16/44.1 and then track?  How?  Export and will the files play gapless?

Can someone share their workflow to get from a 24/48 file from a M10 to flacs I can upload and share. 

Thanks.

I have never had an issue with tracking in 24 > exporting to 16 and the track markers not lining up. My work flow is as folliws:

1. Import raw wave file
2. Edit (normalize, amplify, whatever)
3. Resample to 44.1
4. Track
5. Edit metadata
6. Export to Wav16
7. Covert to FLAC with XLD
8. Rename files
9. Fix SBEs and tag in xACT
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:05:49 PM by nolamule »

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »
another option, do all work in 24 bit, save in 24 bit, and then use xld to convert down to 16/44.1  (only wrinkle here is that xld will only perform sample rate conversion/dithering when converting to apple lossless, so your final step would be to convert the apple lossless to flac)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:00:56 PM »
In Audacity, I do all the processing in 24/96, create track splits, edit metadata, export 24-bit flacs, resample from 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, convert from 24 bit to 16 bit, export 16-bit flacs.

Then I use xACT to fix filenames, add metadata (track names, etc), create flac fingerprint files...

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
Thank you for the workflow info.  I'm stuck on tracking.  Can you show me how that is done?  Is it a label or a track?  Do I just mark it or do I write something?  Anyway to "test" the forward and backwards of the track marks?

It's been a long time since I transferred dats and did all that was necessary to upload and share.

Thanks.

I have never had an issue with tracking in 24 > exporting to 16 and the track markers not lining up. My work flow is as folliws:

1. Import raw wave file
2. Edit (normalize, amplify, whatever)
3. Resample to 44.1
4. Track
5. Edit metadata
6. Export to Wav16
7. Covert to FLAC with XLD
8. Rename files
9. Fix SBEs and tag in xACT
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
Control+B makes markers (tracks) - then "Export Multiple"

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »
Thank you for the workflow info.  I'm stuck on tracking.  Can you show me how that is done?  Is it a label or a track?  Do I just mark it or do I write something?  Anyway to "test" the forward and backwards of the track marks?

It's been a long time since I transferred dats and did all that was necessary to upload and share.

It is a label, I add track text like "s1t01" - To create a point label at the current position of the green playback cursor or red recording cursor, choose Tracks > Add Label at Playback Position  or its keyboard shortcut COMMAND + . on Mac OS X
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:52:55 PM by nolamule »

Offline morst

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
Control-B (Command-B on the mac) drops a track label at the cursor position. The first time you do this, a new label track will be created in the audacity window, below your audio track. Each track label can hold text, or can be left blank, and named/numbered later.

If I know all the track names, I'll type them in. If I'm missing more than about 1/3 of them, I'll just leave the fileset untagged anyway, so there's not necessarily a compelling reason for me to label the rest, unless I think I won't ever find the names and finish the job properly.

Once the tracks are marked, the FILE -> EXPORT MULTIPLE window does have a few handy options. I definitely suggest dropping a few track markers and going to that window soon, to check it out, you'll be able to cancel once you see what it's got.

On the left side you have options of how to split. You'll want to split files based on Labels, using this method, and depending on the fileset, you might or might not want to export the material before your first label. I usually leave that unchecked, and then if I want the entire leader to be part of the fileset, I'll add a track label at the very start (typing the letter J takes you to track start on mac, maybe on the other platforms as well) For me, I often archive the long lead-in and any crowd at the end of sets, even if I'm not circulating that part of the show. This way, if I ever need to sync a video or something, I've got the extra material processed the same way as the music. I just put them in an Extras folder and don't upload that. But I digress.

On the right side of the dialog box, I usually use "Numbering before Label/Track Name" to have my files auto-numbered like:
01-Song One
02-Song Two
03-...

Then when you are finished with the actual tracking job, you can go FILE -> EXPORT LABELS and get a nice text file version of the track list, that you can chop up into your proper info.txt file.

Hope that's clear.

ps I use xACT on the mac to encode FLAC and to rename and create .ffp files.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:58:59 PM by morst »

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »
Very helpful. 

Just a couple more questions if you don't mind.  32 bit floating or 24 bit when I'm normalizing or anything else? 

Tracking this?:

These Waves > Djibouti Bump

Leave in one large track or split it?

Like I said, it's been over 10 years--close to 12 since i last did stuff like this.

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
Very helpful. 

Just a couple more questions if you don't mind.  32 bit floating or 24 bit when I'm normalizing or anything else? 

Tracking this?:

These Waves > Djibouti Bump

Leave in one large track or split it?

Like I said, it's been over 10 years--close to 12 since i last did stuff like this.

I have always let mine at 32-bit float based on this: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Bit_Depth

For "These Waves > Djibouti Bump", I would break it up. For play back you need to make sure you fix SBEs in xACT to make sure there isn't a skip b/t tracks if ripped to CD. This is of course if your export multiple out of Audacity. Logic for the break is, if you only want to here the Djibouti Bump you don't want to have to listen to These Wave or fast forward through it.

Offline morst

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
process at 32, save files at 24.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com